Housing assistance RN widow

Hi,

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction...

My 87 year-old mum lives in South Africa and is interested in moving back to the UK (she's a UK citizen). My dad, who died in 1998, was in the RN between 1947 (entered as apprentice at 15) and 1960 (left as CPO).

Her income is limited and were she to move back to the UK, it looks as though the cost of very modest housing (e.g. 1 room flat in Gosport) would eat up 90% of her income.

She's wondering if there are potential benefits for her through the DOD as the widow of a former RN serviceman.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John F.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Hi,

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction...

My 87 year-old mum lives in South Africa and is interested in moving back to the UK (she's a UK citizen). My dad, who died in 1998, was in the RN between 1947 (entered as apprentice at 15) and 1960 (left as CPO).

Her income is limited and were she to move back to the UK, it looks as though the cost of very modest housing (e.g. 1 room flat in Gosport) would eat up 90% of her income.

She's wondering if there are potential benefits for her through the DOD as the widow of a former RN serviceman.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John F.
Formerly King George's Fund for Sailors .Contact Seafarers. They don't deal with you directly but will tell you the best Society to help your dear mother.
Fear not, someone will help.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Considering that the husband would not receive any pension for his 10 yrs reckonable service between 1950&1960, I would imagine the chances of his widow receiving anything would be zero.

She receives a pension of about GBP8 a month for Dad's service; but this is really a question about housing assistance should she move back to the UK. She's not actually in need of a pension from the UK government.

Thank you.

John F.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Surely it's irrelevant whether or not he received a pension?
I wouldn't say irrelevant. I'm using the fact of what the person who actually served would receive as a barometer of what a widow might receive. She already gets a pension,we now know, of £8 per month. She's chosen to live abroad and wants to return to the UK.
My previous guess of her eligibility to receive anything else towards her living costs stands.
But, it's a guess, so who knows.