Housing assistance RN widow

Johnof

Hi,

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction...

My 87 year-old mum lives in South Africa and is interested in moving back to the UK (she's a UK citizen). My dad, who died in 1998, was in the RN between 1947 (entered as apprentice at 15) and 1960 (left as CPO).

Her income is limited and were she to move back to the UK, it looks as though the cost of very modest housing (e.g. 1 room flat in Gosport) would eat up 90% of her income.

She's wondering if there are potential benefits for her through the DOD as the widow of a former RN serviceman.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John F.

D

Deleted 59428

Hi,

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction...

My 87 year-old mum lives in South Africa and is interested in moving back to the UK (she's a UK citizen). My dad, who died in 1998, was in the RN between 1947 (entered as apprentice at 15) and 1960 (left as CPO).

Her income is limited and were she to move back to the UK, it looks as though the cost of very modest housing (e.g. 1 room flat in Gosport) would eat up 90% of her income.

She's wondering if there are potential benefits for her through the DOD as the widow of a former RN serviceman.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John F.
Formerly King George's Fund for Sailors .Contact Seafarers. They don't deal with you directly but will tell you the best Society to help your dear mother.
Fear not, someone will help.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Considering that the husband would not receive any pension for his 10 yrs reckonable service between 1950&1960, I would imagine the chances of his widow receiving anything would be zero.

Salty-Dog

Lantern Swinger
Considering that the husband would not receive any pension for his 10 yrs reckonable service between 1950&1960, I would imagine the chances of his widow receiving anything would be zero.
Surely it's irrelevant whether or not he received a pension?

Johnof

She receives a pension of about GBP8 a month for Dad's service; but this is really a question about housing assistance should she move back to the UK. She's not actually in need of a pension from the UK government.

Thank you.

John F.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Surely it's irrelevant whether or not he received a pension?
I wouldn't say irrelevant. I'm using the fact of what the person who actually served would receive as a barometer of what a widow might receive. She already gets a pension,we now know, of £8 per month. She's chosen to live abroad and wants to return to the UK.
My previous guess of her eligibility to receive anything else towards her living costs stands.
But, it's a guess, so who knows.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS RSH announces statutory appointments to Board of Prospect Housing Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: tender opportunity for housing and debt work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator sets out key lessons for social housing providers to protect tenants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS My Space Housing Solutions’ grading under review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 274 councils set to receive housing support for vulnerable people MoD News 0
A Housing Current Affairs 14
MoD_RSS Robert Jenrick's speech to Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chartered Institute of Housing 2020: Housing Minister's speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Social housing sector reports strong financial position despite coronavirus challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator of Social Housing and Housing Ombudsman agree revised Memorandum of Understanding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homes England backs a new “healthy housing” toolkit by Design for Homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jenrick launches £266 million housing fund for vulnerable people MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Q Developments win Homes England masterplanning award for planting housing on Surrey garden centre site MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Homes England statistics show overall housing starts up in 2019-20, with a higher proportion of affordable homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stable service delivery for tenants continues in social housing sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Allocation of Housing and Homelessness (Eligibility) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2020: letter to local authorities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Social housing to be prioritised for veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fiona MacGregor speech at Digital Housing Week – 22 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Social housing sector continues adapting to impact of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Social housing sector was in a good financial position at end of March 2020 but faces considerable challenges due to coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): letter to social housing residents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 13 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Communities Secretary's Statement on Housing and Construction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary sets out plan to re-start housing market MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Social housing sector coping with operational challenges from coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity regulator launches inquiry into housing and homelessness charity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homes England ramps up development pipeline to support the housing market MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London Plan: letter from the Secretary of State for Housing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Minister's speech to the Planning Inspectorate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Minister launches competition to deliver homes fit for the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary clamps down on shoddy housebuilders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulatory judgement on Inclusion Housing: Court decision following Judicial Review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary confirms new support for survivors of domestic violence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary: beautiful homes should become 'norm' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary confirms £1 billion of finance to support small and medium sized builders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Around 900,000 could receive increased Housing Benefit from April MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK condemns plans for new housing units across the West Bank MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary pledges new funding to crackdown on criminal landlords MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northern Ireland Housing Executive Board appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 200 people to spend Christmas off the streets and in their own homes thanks to innovative government programme Housing First MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gradings under review for two registered providers of social housing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prospect Housing Limited Gradings under review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Minister announces new champion for modern housebuilding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Minister unveils £30m boost for ‘Construction Corridor’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator of Social Housing publishes rents consultation response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS McVey: Let's build a housing green revolution in the north of England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Heritage speech by the Housing Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: housing and debt telephone advice services tender MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing minister calls for a digital revolution in the property sector MoD News 0