House of Lords on the move.

Stirlin

War Hero

Nice one Boris , house prices are already high compared to others close by , could up our profile I s'pose but we are already jam packed with tourists and the like.

fishhead

War Hero
I think moving the HofL to York is a great idea. Currently all the liggers and hangers-on have to do is stagger in from their London apartment and it's £300 KERCHING!. If it means a trip to Stirl country mixing the the plebs and being jostled courtesy of the public transport system a good few might decide they have better things to do with their time. There will be a few prepared to pile everything on expenses to keep dipping their heads in the trough but I suspect even that opportunity will see many pass on the idea.

I think moving the HofL to York is a great idea. Currently all the liggers and hangers-on have to do is stagger in from their London apartment and it's £300 KERCHING!. If it means a trip to Stirl country mixing the the plebs and being jostled courtesy of the public transport system a good few might decide they have better things to do with their time. There will be a few prepared to pile everything on expenses to keep dipping their heads in the trough but I suspect even that opportunity will see many pass on the idea.
I like your thinking but why not go the whole hog and move the HofL up to Shetland or one of the Western Isles?

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
//Cynical key set to 11:

The Palace of Westminster needs a huge overhaul, and there has long been talk of closing one chamber at a time, and moving one house or another elsewhere whilst the refit is in progress.

Cue moving the HoL to York (other cites are available) so that the Commons can simply move down the corridor whilst their house has the builders in. Once that is done builders and Commons swop over.

In around a decade both houses will have been refurbished. Cue PM of the day declaring that having a second house so far away is financially unsustainable. So sorry northern people, sure you understand, look at all the legacy builds we are leaving behind.

HoL moves back to Westminster.

Political wins in both decades.

Cynical key to normal.//

Stirlin

War Hero
The Arch of York would not need to rig a tent in his garden for said Lords his palace is big enough for both HOP.
-
bishop.jpg