Hotel or Guest House in Portsmouth

Pussers_Blue

Badgeman
rosinacarley said:
Er .... no. Worse I'm afraid, I'm RNR!
Hmm. I see. That explains it then.
Anyway, now we're being civil. Wht unit you in (if that's not being too nosey)? I was based in RNR Dundee many years ago as an AB(M) (HMS Camperdown the gaff was called). The 'Staff AB' I had on the plaque on the door into the Coxn's office. Had to laugh. When I joined we had a Ton as our sweeper (who's name I can't remember), followed by HMS Helmsdale and also a P2000 (HMS Archer if I remember rightly, but my memory's pickled with the booze).
One of the happiest periods of my career. Lodging allowance the lot. Didn't touch my wages for 12 months. Great draft for an AB. Never sniffed anything like it as a S/R. Another example of 'fun drafts' going down the Swanee.

safewalrus

War Hero
If you don't want to stay in the Home Club may I second the Lady Hamilton on the Hard! Nothing swish but reasonable rates, convenient for the Gosport Ferry and what used to be HMS Vernon when we had a Navy! Now called Gunwharf! and as your a lady it's got some wicked shops in there, some even better restaurants and a bit of history [but you have to look for that], there's also a funny tower thingy called the Spiniker tower or some such - apparantly the view is colossal! [You can look at all sorts of closed down Naval Bases - sad]

Incidentally when last there (last year now) it was up for sale so things may have changed a bit! Best check first!

I live in gosport, so if ur stuck give me a shout and i will try to help you ok?
Lady hamilton is ok, my parents syated there but it is a bit basic and not nice decor - there are a few in gosport - but if u need a hand give us a shout chick!

Seadog

War Hero
Clanky asked

Don't AIB candiates get accomodated in Sultan?

Yes they do.

matlo caroline wrote
I am goign to do my AIB in Gosport in Febuary and planning to stay down there a extra few days.

But when the AIB is over, so is her right to that accommodation (until she joins up). Likewise, all those recommending the Home Club (I wouldn't if only because of the poor man's breakfast), Caroline hasn't joined up yet so may not be entitled unless rights are extended to University Units and she's a member.

Seadog

War Hero
Off topic for a moment, excuse me.

Safewalrus wrote

it's got some wicked shops in there

Wicked :?

Safewalrus, I thought you were old and bold with decades of seniority in civvy street.

Wicked?

CRYSTALTIPS

Lantern Swinger
Springfield guest house in Gosport. (Thats if its still there!!)

Used to stop there sometimes to just get away from Collingrad.

The owners are dead friendly. I went there once when i was chocked up with cold/flu and the woman that owned it gave me a large brandy. WINNER!!!!!

The Home Club is open to civvies they just pay more £21 versus £18 per night, so it is well worth staying there, they also sorted me out a parking permit and sometimes have spaces in front.

I will always recommend it now, as if we don't use it we will lose it.

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Salty, you must have the stride of a giant if you can do the Old Lodge to the Main gate at Sultan in 10 mins! There is only one gate now in the middle of Military Road so its a slightly longer hike. Old Lodge has been done up and looks v smart but I haven't been back since Ray sold up.

Salty_Dog

Badgeman
jambosun said:
Salty, you must have the stride of a giant if you can do the Old Lodge to the Main gate at Sultan in 10 mins! There is only one gate now in the middle of Military Road so its a slightly longer hike. Old Lodge has been done up and looks v smart but I haven't been back since Ray sold up.
:D Ok maybe 15 mins, but I was younger the last time I was there :lol:

Didn't know that Ray had sold up. Pity, I'm making a pilgramage south in June and was hoping to say Hi to folks in the Lodge.