Hotel don't boot out veterans for footie fans

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by rum_rat, Aug 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Truly a shame but I guess the football fans would be drinking a lot more so the hotel makes more money. I just hope they end up having a little altercation and trash said hotel.

Barstewards should not be allowed to cancel bookings made in good faith at the last minute, Im also guessing the hotel will be charging the football fans a lot more for the rooms than the veterans.....

2. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Perhaps the well-heeled board of Liverpool FC, or even the team members, will do something to help ameliorate this disgraceful situation. How about it, guys?

3. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

May I ask that those service organisations which use the Hotel for their annual reunions write to the Adelphi and register their disapproval. at the same time cancel any future events they are thinking of holding at this venue

4. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Strangely enough - the email address for the Hotel is 'temporarily unavailable'........I wonder why ?

:hmph:

5. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Can we get it posted on ARRSE & the GOATBOYS sites too ???

6. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Many thanks have sent them an email to the effect that I will be asking the associations to which I belong not to consider their establishment for any future reunions.
    Perhaps if they get enough flack they will reconsider and compensate these guys handsomely.

7. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Thanks AfterSSE,

Managed to get in this time, and rocket sent, but as Slim says, 'whether they read it etc...'

8. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Business is business.

9. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Looks like we may have to contact the newspaper. this is the reply I received from the Adelphi.

Dear Mr Richards

I am writing to you following your recent email concerning a recent report you have read in the Scarborough Evening News.

This reporter has obviously not fully investigated their story before printing.

I personally set-up the Reunion Package for Britannia Hotels many years ago and Britannia Hotels have as a company had the pleasure of hosting Reunions for numbers in excess of 30,000 guests over the years.

You may not be aware but the actual and factual situation is that we at The Adelphi never have had a booking for War Veterans , Never had a deposit for them and after The Scarborough Evening News have now had the time to fully investigate this, you will be able to read the retraction of this story and an apology.

At no time did we have a booking for War Veterans, at no time did we have deposits from War Veterans and this is purely a miscommunication between two travel agents that had not involved The Adelphi.

I look forward to your reply, after you have had time to read the apology.

William Faulkner-Bennett
    Conference Sales Manager
    The Adelphi Hotel
    Ranelagh Place
    Liverpool
    L3 5UL

T: 0151 709 7200 ext 014
    F: 0151 707 9107
    E: [email protected]

10. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Reply from Adelpi

Mr Richards

Thank you for your email.

The "No Comment" wasn't actually the case. The first that we knew about this problem was when it actually hit the Scarborough Evening News. The response was immediate when we found out about the article. As an Ex Officer in The Queens Regt, I am heavily involved in our Reunion business and am aware of how quick things circulate within the Forces Family.

Many thanks again for your response and would appreciate you passing the word around

Best Regards

William Faulkner-Bennett
    Conference Sales Manager
    The Adelphi Hotel
    Ranelagh Place
    Liverpool
    L3 5UL

T: 0151 709 7200 ext 014
    F: 0151 707 9107
    E: [email protected]

LIVERPOOL - European Capital of Culture 2008

Travelling to an Event - Why not take advantage of our specially discounted rail travel with Virgin by visiting our link below

http://www.virgin.com/trains/adelphi

This communication contains information that is confidential and may also be privileged. Any offers and/or commitments made within this document are subject to contract and without prejudice. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information within it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please return it with the subject line ‘received in error’ to [email protected] then delete and destroy any copies.

Britannia Hotels Limited.
    Registered in England & Wales
    Company Registration No: 1343600
    Registered Office: Halecroft, 253 Hale Road, Hale, Altrincham, Cheshire, WA15 8RE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Thu 09/08/2007 10:50
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: Re your recent email

Many thanks for your email
    The newspaper have today reprinted the story and it seems a travel agent was to blame:

Last night it emerged that travel agent Centre Spot, of Bridlington, may have made an administrative error with the party's
    deposit – although the company refused to comment.

Please accept my apologies and I will be contacting the organisations that I am a member of to let them know the outcome.
    I do feel though that your company should have responded to the accusation earlier (the article stated that you refused to comment)

Best regards
    bill richards

11. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

Perhaps as a sign of goodwill, the Hotel should offer the Veterans free accomodation for that weekend ?

12. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

I would have been greatly surprised if the story about the Adelphi was true. I have attended several Veterans functions in the Hotel and I know that the Hotel supports Service Charities. Again this is the case of others jumpimg to conclusions before the truth emerges. Perhaps the person who posted the intial link might deign to apologise to the Adelphi. It would be a nice gesture.

Ta

13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

1. Journos make shit up/put a spin on stuff/don't check the details.

2. Some in the Service community (especially those with internet access) get a toot on at any slight on one of their number, real or imagined and burst into angry print without thinking about para 1.

Thanks for your efforts Slim. Never let the truth spoil a good dit.

14. Re: Hotel boots out veterans in favour of football fans.

I emailed a complaint to the Adelphi concerning the report posted in CA from the Scarborough paper. This stated that the Adephi had refused to comment. I received a reply from the Adelphi explaining their position. This I posted on CA.
    The Scarborough newspaper then printed a retraction, after which I apologised to the Adelphi. I also posted this if anyone reads it they will see that.
    I have also emailed the Scarborough paper asking that they explain their actions in printing a story without doing all the checks. I am awaiting their reply and if I receive one will post it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.