Hospital spends less on cleaning

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, May 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How long will it be before Haslar opts to make such "savings"? It will be interesting to see how Haslar performs in Hospital acquired infections now that it is fully NHS. I suspect that the result are likely to be so explosive they get suppressed.

2. When Hasler was RN Hospital it was immaculate. The cleaning staff took a pride in the task and did it quickly and efficiently. Cleaning staff were the navy patients, if you weren't bedbound you cleaned. Perhaps its time to bring this practise into civilian hospitals. Bloke in bed 6 has MRSA, who cleaned the ward? "Well he did "

3. Good idea that slim, unfortunately i cant think of many of the scroats i take in that are williing to clean up their vomit after them. I have also made a point before highlighting the stark differences between forces personnel as patients, and civvies as patients.

Point of note here. If a patient is admitted to A&E MAU etc at my local hospital with C-Diff or MRSA positive, barrier nursing is imposed with the patient put into an individual room. That room, normally number 5 is then stripped and steam cleaned thoroughly after it has been used.

The problem here is time. With the long steady stream of malingerers and scroats that we have to take in, there is the problem of trying to clean the cubicles between patients. It is wrong that cubicles aren't always cleaned, but in the real world it is a fact of life.

I think morale at my local hospital is bad enough with constant physical/verbal abuse, fear over job cuts and the constant media barrage of how bad the NHS is. I would love to see some of the shite i take in demand treatment in countries where medic facilities are minimal. We are lucky that we have a free service, lets cut it some slack for a change, it has MANY problems which i cannot defend but the people at the coal face generally work their arses off for little or no thanks..

NB (not a rant by the way)

4. The statistic in its own right is meaningless. A reduction in cost of around 20 percent in two years is significant, but it could be due to a number of things.

I'd be interested to know the breakdown of costs, how much for materials, how much is contract management and how much for people. I'd also question what the performance metrics are and who is responsible for monitoring them.

There have been signficant changes to how hospitals buy common services over the last couple of years, both supplies and thins like cleaning.

Mind you, 20 percent is high and I'd question the assurances from the hospital that the services aren't compromised. What are they basing those statements on?

Once again some high quality journalism from the BBC, the article raises more questions than answers.

5. nutty_bag, we are not having a go at the NHS staff, we are having a go at spending priorities, how can it make sense to "save" money on cleaning only to have to spend twice as much on intensive care when the patients end up with a life threatening illness from their stay.

There has been much talk of rights and responsibilities from the politicians and media, well we have a right to the NHS and we have a responsiblity not to abuse it. If you abuse it then I am afraid that I am off the opinion that you can die for all I care. Yes do it in a legal way, by allowing hospitals to take legal action against the individuals, the penalty to be that the court takes away the right to NHS hospital treatment for a fixed period of time (or permanently in extreme situations).

6. And what's wrong with finding ways to free up cash from support services in order to make it available for delivering treatment?

Whilst I agree in general with the point that inappropriate saving might lead to increased costs elsewhere, I'd argue that the article does not make the link that reduced cost on cleaning has led to either increased or decreased incidence of infection.

7. I have to admit that cleaning in hospitals is generally poor.

As much as I hated cleaning warships, it's that kind of deep cleaning (and inspection) that is required, as well as help from nursing and medical staff and assistance from patients and visitors.

I don't blame the cleaners. Normally agency, on piss poor pay and there isn't enough of them. I rarely saw a cleaner during my time with the mighty NHS. Like any job, I saw some superb ones, some bad ones too.

I have mixed feeling about using nursing staff on day-to-day cleaning. I wouldn't want a nurse changing my dressing on an open wound who had just been on her hands and knees cleaning the shitter - no matter how often she washes her hands. Same as I don't want the cleaner dressing my wound of giving out medication - cleaners for cleaning, nurses for nursing (novel idea, but it could work).

However, I have seen some shoddy nursing practices from nurses and (docs sometimes), basics like leaving dressing wrappers and shoite around, FFS - you shouldn't need three years training to clean up after yourself. Nurses are sometimes slow to clean up if there is a spillage as well, be it bodiliy fluids or beverages. This can be due to the cleaners cupboard being locked / not stocked - but that's when management should kick in and provide the kit.

Also some patient are furkin mingers, who just leave a trail of destruction everywhere they go. Next time you are in hospital look around at the crap on the tables / lockers - then think about trying to keep the furker clean. Not saying you should have a giant NHS scran bag, but a bit of common sense to help the cleaning / nursing staff would go a long way.

I must have bored you enough by now........ :oops:

8. On the wards of my old workplace there was only one domestic, even on the MRSA ward. They worked their backsides off. It's shocking that money can't be spent on giving each ward a team of domestics.

However, this is back to the media perpetuated myth that MRSA is caused by dirt. It's not. Most of us carry MRSA. In my opinion the biggest problem is visitors to hospital. They blatantly ignore all ward signs asking for only two visitors at a time, to wash their hands upon entering and exiting the ward and won't use alcohol gel. Mostly they have no common sense. I bet none of them change their clothes before and after visiting a patient. I had to tell my mom to change before she visited my Grandma once. She'd been on God only knows how many buses, with God only knows how many arses all over the seats, with infection carrying hands all over handrails. It's common sense, mostly. MRSA's spread via hand contact, mostly, to patients who're very run down with wounds. So keep them clean, it's everyone's responsibility, not just cleaners.

9. Methicillin Resistant Staphylcoccus Aureus (MRSA) are organisms which are as the name suggests, are resistant to many antibiotics. This causes problems when MRSA gets into wounds, respiratory tracts, etc and cannot be treated with the most common of antibiotics. One of the most common causes of MRSA is the general population been given a 7 day or 14 day supply of antibiotics, been told to take the full course, and then after a few days of feeling better, ditching the rest of them!! And low and behold these organisms get stronger and harder to treat. We need more money, more staff, more awareness on handwashing, more public awareness. But that all equals money. So until that happens I will keep washing my hands till they are red-raw. Oh and I'm trying to patent my own pair of all knowing, all seeing, all screening pair of super-nurse glasses!!

10. Same problem here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/17/AR2007021701172.html

Our politicians stand in front of the cameras and will gladly tell the public "Only the best for our servicemen & women." But the same politician wouldn't think of being treated at a military medical facility. I guess this is a case of "Only the best for our bloated & corrupt bureaucrats in pinstripes."

One would think that with the billions being spent in the Forever War, a little could be funneled to the hospital system? But what the heck do I know?

11. Agree with every word "snaps"