Horror onboard Plymouth sub (3 years ago)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by FunkyJunky, Jun 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That's proper scary, so amazing that everyone survived.

2. Having been out there when the one of our recirc fans caught fire and we had no ventilation fwd for 10 days I can sympathise but some things in that article don't add up tbh. The "air con plant" (actually freon plants producing chilled water) don't have inlets open to the sea for crustaceans to block for starters. The main circs do but that would mean loss of propulsion, the fresh water cooling system for machinery also does, but that wouldn't affect the freons directly. Be interesting to read the full dit.

3. The misleading headline has caused a panic on faecesbook among people who didn't read the story and jumped to the conclusion that this is an ongoing event, not a historical one.

Good old 'errol defence reporting, never lets us down :roll: :slow:

4. It's in a BR on Command - an interesting read if you have access.

5. Surprised this has taken so long to be made public but very lucky they all survived, especially the eight who were reported to be in life threatening conditions.

6. there is a great deal (as you can imagine) that has not been mentioned in the brief article in the paper
    the Skipper saved lives, simple as that. To be fair, he is an absolute legend.

7. I'm not having a pop at Ryan Funky, I do know him as it happens, it's just the article has said things that can't happen so they've mis-quoted and/or cherry picked sentences to make it more dramatic (helps in sales).

8. Oh my gosh, that's insane. I was chatting with him the other day about what submarines are like, I had no idea he'd had to deal with something like that! Scary stuff. I'm surprised everyone was ok, that's a really awful thing to happen.

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Long ago at Mukulla (in a surface ship thankfully) we had our main inlets blocked by thaasands of jellyfish.

10. I remember Ryan as a part 3 on the Opportune,how time flys!