Horror onboard Plymouth sub (3 years ago)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Having been out there when the one of our recirc fans caught fire and we had no ventilation fwd for 10 days I can sympathise but some things in that article don't add up tbh. The "air con plant" (actually freon plants producing chilled water) don't have inlets open to the sea for crustaceans to block for starters. The main circs do but that would mean loss of propulsion, the fresh water cooling system for machinery also does, but that wouldn't affect the freons directly. Be interesting to read the full dit.

Ballistic

War Hero
The misleading headline has caused a panic on faecesbook among people who didn't read the story and jumped to the conclusion that this is an ongoing event, not a historical one.

Good old 'errol defence reporting, never lets us down :roll: :slow:

TJHall79

Surprised this has taken so long to be made public but very lucky they all survived, especially the eight who were reported to be in life threatening conditions.

FunkyJunky

War Hero
Having been out there when the one of our recirc fans caught fire and we had no ventilation fwd for 10 days I can sympathise but some things in that article don't add up tbh. The "air con plant" (actually freon plants producing chilled water) don't have inlets open to the sea for crustaceans to block for starters. The main circs do but that would mean loss of propulsion, the fresh water cooling system for machinery also does, but that wouldn't affect the freons directly. Be interesting to read the full dit.
there is a great deal (as you can imagine) that has not been mentioned in the brief article in the paper
the Skipper saved lives, simple as that. To be fair, he is an absolute legend.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'm not having a pop at Ryan Funky, I do know him as it happens, it's just the article has said things that can't happen so they've mis-quoted and/or cherry picked sentences to make it more dramatic (helps in sales).

Bunhead

Midshipman
Oh my gosh, that's insane. I was chatting with him the other day about what submarines are like, I had no idea he'd had to deal with something like that! Scary stuff. I'm surprised everyone was ok, that's a really awful thing to happen.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Long ago at Mukulla (in a surface ship thankfully) we had our main inlets blocked by thaasands of jellyfish.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
stan_the_man Shock horror, NHS re-employs 4000 staff recently made redundant Current Affairs 4
NZ_Bootneck Shock horror!! I've been sacked!!! Diamond Lil's 28
SONAR-BENDER Shock, horror! Submariners 38
soleil BBC: "HMS Sheffield Survivor Recalls Horror Of Sinking" History 0
soleil Metro: "Rock Horror For Holidaymaker As High Tide Traps Her On Cornwall Cliff" The Fleet Air Arm 8
S Worlds Shortest Horror Story! Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
rod-gearing Shock horror Diamond Lil's 39
JamesH One for Horror fans Diamond Lil's 0
C Shock! Horror! Vermin in Prison. Current Affairs 36
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
MoD_RSS First UK fighter jets land onboard HMS Queen Elizabeth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK Space Agency funds new experiments onboard the International Space Station MoD News 0
SaladDodger F-35's land onboard HMS Queen Elizabeth Current Affairs 14
zombie Guests onboard RFA 6
Alfacharlie Back onboard. Diamond Lil's 14
S Photo/video as a hobby onboard? RFA 9
TairyHesticles AET - Onboard The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil Mirror: "A Submariner's Life Onboard The HMS Alliance" Submariners 12
S Free tickets to get onboard HMS Protector in Tor Bay The Quarterdeck 0
S Interesting Article About Life Onboard Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Is there weight lifting facilities onboard naval ships? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
trelawney126 Refit Fire onboard HMS/M Torbay Submariners 4
soleil The National (UAE): "Onboard HMS Shoreham At IDEX" - Video The Fleet 0
finknottle The who is onboard window Site Issues 8
Drakey Fire Onboard Dauntless The Fleet 12
I Once you get onboard?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
scouse BBC Reporter onboard USS George Washington The Fleet Air Arm 3
L Sprog onboard :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
G what's AED life like onboard? The Fleet Air Arm 41
Toast WAFU, onboard!..No chance..!?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M free time onboard ship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
nufc70 internet access while onboard ship? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 61
S Inquest for sailors onboard tireless. Current Affairs 1
N Fathers and Sons Trip onboard ship The Fleet 28
C Living Onboard The Fleet 22
J New Sprog Onboard Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
N Which pieces of kit do i need onboard? The Fleet 167
Shakey Fire onboard HMS PUMA, mid-sixties. History 31
N Whats it like onboard? The Quarterdeck 53
D oi oi Shippers! Welcome onboard The Fleet 26
soleil Plymouth Live: "Plymouth Sailor Corners Bungling Burglar Who Terrified Woman Then Fell From The Roof" Bases / Shore Est 0
Steve Waterhouse Plymouth SCC. T.S.Golden Hind. 270 SCC and URNU 1
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp PLYMOUTH RESIDENTS - CLOSE UP Current Affairs 16
P Plymouth defiance building Current Affairs 8
BillyNoMates Plymouth News Update Current Affairs 4
MoD_RSS 'Plymouth's worst fly-tipper' jailed after 3 years on the run MoD News 0
soleil PlymouthLive: "24 Fascinating Tales You Might Not Have Known About Plymouth" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy Sends Marines To Arctic To Prepare For New Era As UK Freezes" The Corps 0
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy And British Army Reduce Presence In Caribbean" RFA 3
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy Submariners Face Toughest Seafaring Test" Submariners 9