Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Hoping to become an RM Rupert

-Drew-

As the title states, I'm looking to apply to the Corps as an Officer.

I had a "friend" that was telling me stories of when he was serving long ago and he even gave me a ton of 'advice' however we recently discovered he is a walt, so I'm not too confident in the things he told me.

Was just wondering if any of you lads, regardless if you were/are GD or an Officer, have any advice?

Side note; most of my knowlege is of the PONGOs as RM information is quite difficult to come by as a civvie.

Cheers in advance!

There is a plethora of information on the corp. If you are particularly resilient in your Google skills there are at least 3 documentaries about the training. As far as I know the training is identical (physically).

Edited for being a spelling mong.

Ninja
Read the question, he wants to join as an hoccifer so rightly expects everything to be done by others for him.
Would have made an excellent occifer in the 60s but I think more is expected of the current generation :)

In my own defense, when I asked:
Was just wondering if any of you lads, regardless if you were/are GD or an Officer, have any advice?
I was more asking for any first hand advice or dits about getting on in POC/CTC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never heard a RM Officer described as a "Rupert". Least of all by those aiming to pass POC...
I was simply trying to come across as "one of the lads", shan't happen again.

In my own defense, when I asked:

I was more asking for any first hand advice or dits about getting on in POC/CTC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was simply trying to come across as "one of the lads", shan't happen again.

Tut tut , calling alf 'one of the lads '

I was simply trying to come across as "one of the lads",

One of the lads? I sense that the site demographic is not biased towards ORs and Junior Ratings and anyway, ‘them and us’ derogatory terminology ( however Pongo ) is discouraged.

One of the lads? I sense that the site demographic is not biased towards ORs and Junior Ratings and anyway, ‘them and us’ derogatory terminology ( however Pongo ) is discouraged.
Absolutely agree, as Sir Francis Drake said, "For by the life of God, it doth even take my wits from me to think on it. Here is such controversy between the sailors and gentlemen, and such stomaching between the gentlemen and sailors, it doth make me mad to hear it. But, my masters, I must have it left. For I must have the gentleman to haul and draw with the mariner, and the mariner with the gentleman. What! let us show ourselves to be of a company and let us not give occasion to the enemy to rejoice at our decay and overthrow. I would know him that would refuse to set his hand to a rope, but I know there is not any such here“ (Drake’s speech to his crew off of Puerto San Julian, Argentina, prior to entering the Strait of Magellan).

And that's been the Navy's viewpoint through the centuries.

It's quite surprising how many people join the RM as an Officer, imagining they'll be 'one of the lads".

They won't.

Truth is, they are pretty individualistic in training, in my experience, dog eat dog. At ease airing and analysing their "oppo's" failings and equally, accepting of the reverse. Undying loyalty to their men, but not always to their peers.

Latest Threads