Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoping to become an RM Rupert

-Drew-

As the title states, I'm looking to apply to the Corps as an Officer.

I had a "friend" that was telling me stories of when he was serving long ago and he even gave me a ton of 'advice' however we recently discovered he is a walt, so I'm not too confident in the things he told me.

Was just wondering if any of you lads, regardless if you were/are GD or an Officer, have any advice?

Side note; most of my knowlege is of the PONGOs as RM information is quite difficult to come by as a civvie.

Cheers in advance!

crash_evans

War Hero
There is a plethora of information on the corp. If you are particularly resilient in your Google skills there are at least 3 documentaries about the training. As far as I know the training is identical (physically).

Edited for being a spelling mong.

-Drew-

Ninja
Read the question, he wants to join as an hoccifer so rightly expects everything to be done by others for him.
Would have made an excellent occifer in the 60s but I think more is expected of the current generation :)

In my own defense, when I asked:
Was just wondering if any of you lads, regardless if you were/are GD or an Officer, have any advice?
I was more asking for any first hand advice or dits about getting on in POC/CTC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never heard a RM Officer described as a "Rupert". Least of all by those aiming to pass POC...
I was simply trying to come across as "one of the lads", shan't happen again.

Stirlin

War Hero
In my own defense, when I asked:

I was more asking for any first hand advice or dits about getting on in POC/CTC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was simply trying to come across as "one of the lads", shan't happen again.

Tut tut , calling alf 'one of the lads '

Seadog

War Hero
I was simply trying to come across as "one of the lads",

One of the lads? I sense that the site demographic is not biased towards ORs and Junior Ratings and anyway, ‘them and us’ derogatory terminology ( however Pongo ) is discouraged.

huwshpis

War Hero
One of the lads? I sense that the site demographic is not biased towards ORs and Junior Ratings and anyway, ‘them and us’ derogatory terminology ( however Pongo ) is discouraged.
Absolutely agree, as Sir Francis Drake said, "For by the life of God, it doth even take my wits from me to think on it. Here is such controversy between the sailors and gentlemen, and such stomaching between the gentlemen and sailors, it doth make me mad to hear it. But, my masters, I must have it left. For I must have the gentleman to haul and draw with the mariner, and the mariner with the gentleman. What! let us show ourselves to be of a company and let us not give occasion to the enemy to rejoice at our decay and overthrow. I would know him that would refuse to set his hand to a rope, but I know there is not any such here“ (Drake’s speech to his crew off of Puerto San Julian, Argentina, prior to entering the Strait of Magellan).

And that's been the Navy's viewpoint through the centuries.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's quite surprising how many people join the RM as an Officer, imagining they'll be 'one of the lads".

They won't.

Truth is, they are pretty individualistic in training, in my experience, dog eat dog. At ease airing and analysing their "oppo's" failings and equally, accepting of the reverse. Undying loyalty to their men, but not always to their peers.

D

Deleted 28451

Genuine question: why do you want to become a RM Officer? What's you motivation?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Hoping to get in! Issues inbound :( Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
G EX-RN Hoping to join RFA 10
S hoping to join the RN.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Navy veteran hoping to reunite family with this precious picture Read more: http://w History 0
soleil Herald: "Aspiring Plymouth Naval Officer Hoping For Beauty Title" The Quarterdeck 20
MoD_RSS Naval Reservist hoping for Olympic chance Current Affairs 0
G Hoping to apply as a medical Assistant. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
AndyStano Hoping to join as a medical assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
brazenhussy XMAS---------what r u hoping for in your stocking?!! Diamond Lil's 12
S To all those hoping to wear the Green Beret!!!! The Corps 32
S If you are hoping to wear the Green Beret Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Ofsted: School leaders determined pupils won’t become 'the COVID generation' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Norfolk households urged not to become accidental waste criminals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lincolnshire households urged not to become accidental criminals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Essex households urged not to become accidental waste criminals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cambridgeshire households urged not to become accidental criminals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northamptonshire households urged not to become accidental criminals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Suffolk households urged not to become accidental waste criminals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bedfordshire households urged not to become accidental criminals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Yorkshire households urged not to become ‘accidental’ waste criminals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Three new benzodiazepines to become Class C drugs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stephen Lightfoot to become Chair MoD News 0
soleil FB: RNR: "No Summer Rest For Reservist Cadets Aiming To Become Officers" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
MoD_RSS British Embassy Warsaw launches 'Don't Become a Victim of Modern Slavery' campaign MoD News 0
K How can my son become an F35B AET? The Fleet Air Arm 71
MoD_RSS DSRL and LLWR to become NDA subsidiaries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “Events, Dear Boy”: managing incidents before they become crises MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Face coverings to become mandatory on public transport MoD News 0
K Qualifications required to become a Warfare Officer, i.e UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary: beautiful homes should become 'norm' MoD News 0
N How tough is the competition to become a chef apprentice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Apply to become an Inspector MoD News 0
CiviPilot At the end of INT for Ratings, Looking to become an officer via AOP? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
MoD_RSS Dr June Raine to become interim Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ways improving your numeracy skills has become easier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More service stations to become fully accessible as government fund opens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Transport ministers call on industry to become leaders in gender equality MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Opportunity for charities to become authorised advisors to EU citizens applying to settle in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Education Secretary calls on more schools to become an academy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Commuting by bike to become easier in new year following funding boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Trio of justice bills become law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: UK & Samoa - A historic relationship set to become stronger MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Apply to become an Inspector, deadline extended until Monday 5 November MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New plans for military flexible working become law MoD News 0
W How hard is it to become a pilot? The Fleet Air Arm 20
Keithdwat579 Can you become a pilot as a Warfare Officer? Joining the Royal Navy 13
D Train to become a builder or plumber Joining the Royal Navy 10
Walter_white Should I do A levels and become an officer even though I've already applied as a rating? Joining the Royal Navy 25
SONAR-BENDER When does 'whistle-blowing' become treason? Current Affairs 18
S Can i become a deck officer without cadetship? RFA 8