Hopeful Marine Engineering applicant.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Tommeh, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is my first post so: Hello! :D

I've been lurking on this site for a little while now and looking up helpful tips and whatnot through my application process, but i couldn't find anything to help me with what i need to know now.

Basically I'm coming towards the end of the process, i've got my fitness test to do within the next 21 days (still can't get over that its on a treadmill) however the WO1 that has been my interviewer through the process told me that when I come back with my results for it he's going to give me a massive grilling about naval engineering, which is fine, but that's a pretty broad area to be looking into, in-depth, in so little time.

I found some material about the engines that run on diesel, gas and electricity, but i'm having trouble finding specific things, plus i don't know what direction i should be going in.

So to cut it short; could anyone tell me what sort of things I should research in preparation of the promised barrage of questions?

thanks.

2. He's probably going to ask you what engines are fitted to different ships etc. I would also read up on what other jobs engineers do i.e. 'household engineering' like air con, plumbing, refrigeration etc. Most of the questions will be about general Navy life and your awareness of what goes on.

Best of luck.

3. thankfully I'm already a plumber, inexperienced, but its something at least.

Ah when you put it like that its a pretty obvious answer really.

Thanks very much!

4. No worries. As a qualified plumber you should go far.

You should see some of the retards that post on this site who still manage to get through the interview stage. Just the fact that you have a basic grasp of the English language and some typing skills has impressed me to be honest.

Ninja_Stoker will probably be along shortly with some more sound advice. He is an experienced naval engineer and our resident careers office guru.

5. haha, maybe they are just socially retarded? Admittedly I slip up from time to time, but txt talk and random capitalisations aren't something I'd have myself doing.

Excellent, any guidance is much appreciated.

6. Tommeh

I can't speak with any great expertise on the Engineering specifics but I would suggest the following as your starter for ten.

You could make a spreadsheet showing all the Navy's ships and submarines and have a column in which you list which type of engine drives each vessel. I'll put something on here for you in a minute.

However, could you explain to me how that engine makes the ship or submarine move? You can list that a ship is powered by RR Olympus engines, but could you explain to me what links those engines to the rest of the ship and what causes the ship to propel itself along in the water? What other internal mechanisms on a ship or submarine are powered by those engines?

Could you draw a diagram (simple) showing how power is transferred from the engines throughout the ship to where it is needed?

Just a starter for ten.

Happy to stand back now while real Engineering bods hurl all manner of abuse at me.

7. Good call Sol.

It might also be worth having a quick skeg over some of the other engineering jobs in the RN i.e Weapons and Aircraft.

Familiarise yourself with the principles of flight and radar theory, it might also help just in case he asks.

8. Well damn that's food for thought. I think I get some of those things, but I certainly think that those are some good things for me to look up on. And I like the spreadsheet idea [*Edit* thanks for the link].

Well I'm really gonna have to pull my finger out with this then. :p

9. 2dd - that's a good call about the principles of flight.

Tommeh, this is just an added extra:

When you watch a plane going down the runway, at some point it lifts off the ground and into the air. Why? How? I associate the Venturi effect with this. Am I right to?

If your planes were on an aircraft carrier and couldn't take off in that way, how do you think they would take off?

These are just extras. Start with your ships and submarines. Be sure to ask us any questions about the specifics.

10. hah, I never thought of the association of air pressures around a wing being similar to a venturi. I cant quite figure out if its entirely accurate off the top of my head, but these are all things I can look into.

Seriously, thanks for all this, I appear to have underestimated how diverse the knowledge is that I need for it. :p

And I'm just going for Marine Engineer, I looked into the other types, but I feel that this one is more suited to me personally. I stayed away from SM because I'm not sure I could handle that, it would be a really cool thing to do, but id hate to go down that path and find that its not for me.

11. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

not a bad starter soleil and the kind of questions I'd expect (as an engineer) for a prospective ME to be able to understand and find the answers in the public domain. Going beyond that, perhaps for tommeh to think about would be what his training would entail and the job he'd be expecting to do once he gets to his first sea job.

best of luck fella, and I echo 2_deck's comments about your standards of english!

12. Have a look at these.

Refrigeration, principles, simple refrigerant circuit. (Compressor,evaporator,expansion valve,condenser)

Pumps water & otherwise, principles thereof.Have the basics of a few different pump types,centrifugal, piston , swash plate .

Marine main engine gearing,plummer block , thrust block & stern gland.
    Variable pitch propellers.

Steering gear, some overlaps with pumping. Telemotor system, emergency steering.

Diesel engines, principle of diesel engine operating cycle.
    Gas Turbine principles.

Marine heat exchangers, ( sea water cooled )

Fresh water production( from seawater) Osmosis.

Many engineering systems have a backup built in somewhere, so as to operate even when action damaged.

Ship damage control, flood, fire etc.

13. Yeah I've been writing this all down too so I can research it all properly.

I heard that for the first year or so I will mostly be cleaning things and being a tool lackey and being shadowed on any work I take part in. That's the basics of what I've heard anyway. Sounds good to me.

Cheers all, I'll be stopping in later to find out more.

14. Ah lovely, I've been given my date for the Selection Interview! I've been focusing more on what I'll be doing work-wise and my training more than the physics of propulsion, avionics and such. I think as long as I prove that I'm actually interested enough to be willing to learn off my own back, it should go well.

Thanks very much all for your help on the subject! :D

15. I had my interview for ME not that long ago, another thing that may be worth looking into, which i was asked about - How a nuclear reactor works. From the nuclear reaction, to how they harness the energy. I didnt go into much detail as i wasnt too sure about it but i had a basic grasp! If you have a look on the net, you'll be well prepared if he asks you :)

Good luck!

16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I hope you managed to get the word "kettle" in somewhere. :wink: