Hootenany

G'day from sunny Downunder dear readers.Let me introduce you to a fine Canadian tradition-The Hootenany!
In or around mid1977, I was the Joss on the grey ghost of the East coast-HMS Plymouth. We had come out of AMP in Chats and sailed for a mini-deployment to the USA and Canada.We firstly called in at St John's, Newfoundland,(Not much of a run ashore) and wended our way down to Halifax, Nova Scotia..On our way down there, I was summoned to the skippers cabin and informed that we had received an invitation fro the Canadian Legion(Or whatever it was called) for the senior rates and ship's company to a presentation by the Canuk former matelots. The wardroom were going elsewhere.I was also informed that it was a "Three line whip", all but the duty watch were to attend and-horrors-it was a Riggers Run!Having been told, "Make it so" I duly summoned the Preses/Killicks of the messes and passed on the news. As you can imagine, this was greeted like a fart in a space suit!Anyway, the day duly arrived, we all mustered on the flight deck and trooped off into the waiting busses. Duly arriving at a truly imposing venue, we all trooped inside and were greeted by the Pres of the Canuk mob plus his wingers and tot time followed by speeches and presentation of our crests. In due course, the Canuk Pres announced,"It's Hootenany time, follow me gentelmen" Now, we all thought bit would be something like a boring barn dance type thingo, however, we trooped after him and these imposing doors swung upon to reveal a huge hall! It had three bars, two dance floors and, in the gloom we could see lots of little tables with red candle lights illuminating them. As matelots do when presented with a bar, we all headed off in the direction of the bars, however, none of us made it! What we didn't know at the time is that the old Canuk matelots had detailed off their daughters, nieces and any other spare bits of crumpet to entertain us.As we went to pass the tables, a female hand would shoot out and pull us into a seat, they would then order drinky-poos for us, all free-gratis and for nothing!What a great run shore that was! I came out of the club about 1830, two pieces of pulchritude swing off my arm and off for a great time. I finished up with one who looked like Nana Mouskouri(White rose of Athens fame) for the duration of our stay and my street-cred amongst the ship's coy as a procurer of crumpet was established beyond all doubt!

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Mate, a word of advice.

Your dits are extremely amusing, but put some spacing lines in - it makes them a f**k-sight easier to read. What you've got up there is like trying to eat a 40oz steak with a plastic teaspoon.

Did Halifax and the SR's/Legion do on the good ship Euryalus!
Memory goes selectively vague to protect the innocent!!!! (Me).

Did Halifax ND on Turbulent, the hotel even put on a party for us a couple of days before we sailed, it was an excellent run ashore.

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
G'day from sunny Downunder dear readers.Let me introduce you to a fine Canadian tradition-The Hootenany!
In or around mid1977, I was the Joss on the grey ghost of the East coast-HMS Plymouth. We had come out of AMP in Chats and sailed for a mini-deployment to the USA and Canada.We firstly called in at St John's, Newfoundland,(Not much of a run ashore) and wended our way down to Halifax, Nova Scotia..On our way down there, I was summoned to the skippers cabin and informed that we had received an invitation fro the Canadian Legion(Or whatever it was called) for the senior rates and ship's company to a presentation by the Canuk former matelots. The wardroom were going elsewhere.I was also informed that it was a "Three line whip", all but the duty watch were to attend and-horrors-it was a Riggers Run!Having been told, "Make it so" I duly summoned the Preses/Killicks of the messes and passed on the news. As you can imagine, this was greeted like a fart in a space suit!Anyway, the day duly arrived, we all mustered on the flight deck and trooped off into the waiting busses. Duly arriving at a truly imposing venue, we all trooped inside and were greeted by the Pres of the Canuk mob plus his wingers and tot time followed by speeches and presentation of our crests. In due course, the Canuk Pres announced,"It's Hootenany time, follow me gentelmen" Now, we all thought bit would be something like a boring barn dance type thingo, however, we trooped after him and these imposing doors swung upon to reveal a huge hall! It had three bars, two dance floors and, in the gloom we could see lots of little tables with red candle lights illuminating them. As matelots do when presented with a bar, we all headed off in the direction of the bars, however, none of us made it! What we didn't know at the time is that the old Canuk matelots had detailed off their daughters, nieces and any other spare bits of crumpet to entertain us.As we went to pass the tables, a female hand would shoot out and pull us into a seat, they would then order drinky-poos for us, all free-gratis and for nothing!What a great run shore that was! I came out of the club about 1830, two pieces of pulchritude swing off my arm and off for a great time. I finished up with one who looked like Nana Mouskouri(White rose of Athens fame) for the duration of our stay and my street-cred amongst the ship's coy as a procurer of crumpet was established beyond all doubt!
Hi CU Jimmy - nice dit. Are you a member of H.M.S. Plymouth association and if not are you interested? It sounds as if you the other side of the planet but no matter. PM me if you are interested and I will send you a copy of our last newsletter.

All the best shippers

Knotty

Message received and understood Clonmel try not reading it so fast----LOL. Next time you might like to try yaffling that gynormeous steak with a set of proper eating irons:D Glad you like the dits anyway. Cheers.