Honour

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Retread, Oct 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do you remember the days when a Cabinet Minister would hold up his hand and say “It happened on my watch, I resign� Not only did they go they stayed gone and were usually de-selected or dragged before the courts.

The same was true of the armed forces, if it happened on your watch you held up your hand said don’t blame the troops...

What happened to honour? Has is it like most things been americanised, been turned into honor cast aside?

2. Well, now you mention it, no. That is predominantly a Military concept; totally alien to the Division Lobby fodder and Ministers. It was, I believe, the previous US top chimp that coined the phrase.

You are right, though. It is rare that the modern varieties admit blame or other forms of culpability. Resigning on a point of principle or honour also does seem alien to them. Do they see it as some admission of weakness when it's often an expression of strength?

3. Lord Carrington:

4. Yeah, I thought about Carrington. And oddly enough a Labour Foreign Secretary, Robin Cook. Cook resigned because he knew Blair was lying. (Allegedly, I mean would Tony fib?)

5. There are still one or two about but overall honour in a politician is as rare as rocking horse shite.

6. Cook new Blair was as bent as a canteen kipper long before he resigned. Which he did hoping to damage Blair for demoting him from his job as Foreign Secretary. Ulterior motives, not honour.
    Bear in mind this is the honourable man who binned his wife in a phone call from an airport because he'd been informed the press were onto the fact he'd been porking the hired help.

7. Most modern politicians are career pollies. Many Labour and Conservative MPs go from university to research post for a political party, think tank or MP and then enter politics. In the past they were expected to have done something first, like working in the city, law or business. The last Conservative Home Secretary summed up the post-honour ethos thus:

I am responsible for policy.

Like his sucessors, he sought to interfere in the implimentation whilst refusing to take any responsibility for what happened as a result of his micromanaging implimentation. Why take responsibility when you can blame "faceless bureaucrats" who cannot challenge your version of events. Simples really.

8. A bit like married Jolly Jack and I have come across many of them who go out of watch when not in their home port. :)

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

To have an understanding of honour you must have a grasp on shame. There's the problem.

10. I must admit Nookie Cookie was always difficult to pigeon hole, even when I knew him at school. He always gave the impression of being more driven by belief than ambition, though one does not become a minister without ambition. I suspect he was Blairs conscience until Blair decided he no longer needed one.

11. Mandlebums, in his diatribe at party conference, rousing the rabble with this one....'We can come back, look at me, I did' (not verbatim)

...that's honour....my RS

12. Just to guarantee the resounding thrashing they will get at the next election they brought him back, poor judgement is putting it mildly. :)

COME ON THE IRISH MAKE IT A NO VOTE

13. Fink, do I detect a slight drift to the right? Careful! You're in danger of slipping to the right of Chairman Mao. :wink:

Even if the Irish again vote no, they'll be given yet another chance to get the 'right' answer.

14. Jimmy_Green, I have always considered myself to be in the centre.

15. There was Never any such thing as honour amongst thieves! :evil: