Honkers or Bangkok? Which is best?

slim

War Hero
Just been thinking about the far east.
really enjoyes HK in the 60s but when I returnes in the 2000s was most dissapointed.
First went to bangkok in the late 80s early 90s. it was just like Hong Kong in the 60s

Which do you thnk is the best run?

dunkers

War Hero
Went to HK last year and thought it was fantastic.
How has it changed since the 60s? - and especially how has it changed since 1997?

I think everything changes with time and most places not for the better.
As far as runs ashore go, I love the atmosphere in Honky Fid, not sure what it is but I just enjoy being there.Loved Lantau Island with the temple at the top of the hill. It depends on the kind of run you are looking for, Bangkok is nuts, such an out there place that caters to every lifestyle. Thailand has some lovely places but Bangkok is just a city really. But for partying, BKK wins every time.

Never went out to the Far Flung during my time in the mob, but did a lot of business travel there in the 80s and 90s.

I enjoyed Hong Kong, especially Kowloon side, great atmosphere, good food and great bars if you looked for them. Haven't been there since 97 though.

Bangkok is better I think though, the Thai people make the difference, more relaxed feel to the place, you always get the feeling the smiles are real.

Peter

slim

War Hero
dunkers said:
Went to HK last year and thought it was fantastic.
How has it changed since the 60s? - and especially how has it changed since 1997?
Mid 60s Hong Kong was a cheap run ashore,don't know why but everytime I got pissed I seemed to wake up on the Star Ferry. Went back in the 90s and early 2000s when my copany usedit as a staging post for going in to China. Used to get a night there on the way in and if lucky a night on the way out. The main difference I found was the prices had inrcreased and a night out left no change from £100. Could get about three nights for that in Bangok. First went to Bangkok in 89 and it reminded me of Singapore in the sixties, Magic

slim

War Hero
CheefTiff said:
Shit who cares, its so long ago I forgot. Just send me back now and I'll check them out for RR
Well chiefy have you forgotten because you'r geriatric or because you had such a great time that the next day you couldn't remember?
Had a few of those, got a bit embarrassed next day when told hw good m run was and what I got up to by my mates.

Honkers was something special up until hand over, one of the worlds best run'ashore, China Fleet Club in later years was a pretty plush place to stay, Lantau was a haven of peace almost unchanged for hundreds of years (this was before new aitport and giant buddha).

Saw a bunch of outnumbered booties fight pongo's in the bowling alley where 2 of them used one as a ball and knocked skittles down-(like a tom and gerry cartoon) outstanding, army lads took umbridge at seeing men in womens clothing (no change there then)

Also told by an LC that the best blowjob he ever had was when he was minging and trapped an essence kaitai (don't believe the "minging" bit).

HMS Tamars basin is now a carpark and Thailand beats Honkers hands down, but in its day the Honkers place was THE best run'ashore in the world.

slim

War Hero
RAIDER_OF_THE_LOST_CAUSE said:
Honkers was something special up until hand over, one of the worlds best run'ashore, China Fleet Club in later years was a pretty plush place to stay, Lantau was a haven of peace almost unchanged for hundreds of years (this was before new aitport and giant buddha).

Saw a bunch of outnumbered booties fight pongo's in the bowling alley where 2 of them used one as a ball and knocked skittles down-(like a tom and gerry cartoon) outstanding, army lads took umbridge at seeing men in womens clothing (no change there then)

Also told by an LC that the best blowjob he ever had was when he was minging and trapped an essence kaitai (don't believe the "minging" bit).

HMS Tamars basin is now a carpark and Thailand beats Honkers hands down, but in its day the Honkers place was THE best run'ashore in the world.
Ah the China Fleet club what memories.
It was I believe owned by the lower deck and a ratings only club.
How come is now moved to the UK and seems to be run for the benefit of officers

Well noted slim, I seem to remember on all of its little light blue books of matches it said "owned and run by the men of the Royal Navy", it was a "lower decks" club, the lease was sold for enough dosh to buy the place at Saltash (must have been quite substantial).

I'm sure the officer class would have invited us brigands and tramps into their club had the situation been reversed! (pigs might fly-no pun intended)

Kowloon side, scran at poor mans market, a smallie beverage or 2 at the house of doom then to ned kellys for more of the same, a dollar nosh from street vendor, back on star ferry as much fanchow as you could eat in china fleet and still have change from$2 HK!

"Tell kids that nowadays they'll never believe you" :lol:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS British Embassy Bangkok hosts a workshop on RSA to Thai partners MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The British War Memorial in Bangkok unveiled at the new location MoD News 0
DemobJob Armoured Vehicle Sales Manager - Bangkok, Thailand - Excellent Opportunity The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
stan_the_man Been to Bangkok lately Blue Jokes 0
J Best roles for overseas opportunities. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Medical questionnaire, best practice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS New £3.3 million fund to give babies from deprived areas or BAME backgrounds the best start in life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches Health and Care Visa to ensure UK health and care services have access to the best global talent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reforming UN peacekeeping to best respond to global challenges MoD News 0
NavyStuff2020 Post Removed (As best as possible) Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS A ceasefire and cooperation with the UN political process is the best defense against the devastating effects of Covid-19 in Yemen. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How ONS changed workplace culture to get the best out of cloud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DBS Digital win Best Use of Customer Insight Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Best of British on display at the Day of Diplomats, Turkmenistan MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist Category - Sub Lieutenant Imogen Napper Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist - Winner - Lieutenant Commander Tracy MacSephney Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
MoD_RSS Awards open to recognise best practice in making regulation work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Boost for UK science with unlimited visa offer to world's brightest and best MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Treorchy crowned "UK's best" in the Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Microchipping your pet is the best New Year’s resolution you could make MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A greener Christmas is the best present for the environment. MoD News 0
N best type of exercise for injured person Health & Fitness 12
slim Electric Cars Anyone Own One? Which is the best type to Buy? Current Affairs 21
O Post 16 and the best pathway Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS DASA seeks best Scottish innovators at Highlands roadshow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Competition launches to find best quality early years apps MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA launches consultation on how to best engage patients and the public MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need national debate on rare diseases to offer the best possible care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMA Simon Collis send his best wishes in the occasion of Eid Al Fitr MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: KTP Best of the Best 2019 winners announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Joint statement on the UK-U.S. marine technology SME best practice exchange MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: Offender to Entrepreneur Sharing best practice from the USA in enabling individuals to develop a crime free future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Glasgow medical firm showcases the best of UK life sciences sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Intellectual Property Minister speaks of the importance of ensuring UK IP remains some of the best in the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM celebrates best of Wales at St David's Day reception MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Taking on the best: Ministry of Defence Police show sporting prowess MoD News 0
C Best time to arrive at FAT's? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Whitehall loses one of its best and brightest - Charles Farr MoD News 0
J Best ships to deploy on Joining the Royal Navy 12
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: Offender to Entrepreneur Sharing best practice from the USA in enabling individuals to develop a crime free future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Making the best use of small contractors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Making science work, together: how can we build the best possible future for science, research and innovation in the UK? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British Bike exports soar as the UK's best head for Manchester MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World-leading projects in UK aerospace: funding for best ideas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Matt Hancock: NHS needs to widen search for best leaders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GLD named one of UK’s Best Employers for Race MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Crickhowell High Street crowned "UK's best" in Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nucleus named Scotland’s Best Building 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New boost to showcase ‘best of British’ creativity abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New ROI tool shows best ways to prevent cardiovascular disease MoD News 0