Homeopathy

Guns

War Hero
But it must work cos passionate people say it does, even Prince Charles says it works.

You take water. Add something. Dilute it. Dilute it some more. Then some more. In fact keep going. Then dilute it so more. Then hit it over some leather.

Instant cure.

I fail to see what is wrong with all your naysayers. You need to open your minds.

PS I have some Unicorn Poo - very good for the roses.

Guns

War Hero
I live in the real world. Why yesterday I made my own tea without any help from the stewards.

On a more serious note these people are selling vulnerable people nothing more than snake oil. They make serious claims on cures for what is no more than sugar water. And Boots sells it for profit knowing it is nothing but a Placebo. Now that is morally wrong - in my opinion and not the thoughts of this site. Should anyone think of suing.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Guns said:
I live in the real world. Why yesterday I made my own tea without any help from the stewards.
Fark orf! I don't believe you!! 8O

Guns said:
On a more serious note these people are selling vulnerable people nothing more than snake oil. They make serious claims on cures for what is no more than sugar water...
Hmm, sounds like the POMA in the Sick Bay then; telling you that Brufen are cures for hangovers, and a soluble Aspirin is all he can do to get rid of the viral infection that's been going round the messes for the past six weeks... :oops: :twisted:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
StixJimboRM said:
Guns said:
Will you be my sea daddy?
Hmm, two hopes - Guns is a real rufty tufty occifer, working in the dark mysterious depths of the Ops Room. You, on the other hand, are deemed to a life of boring logistics meetings with other members of the Blanco Mafioso, congratulating each other on how wonderful the Department is... :twisted: :wink:

Guns said:
... On a more serious note these people are selling vulnerable people nothing more than snake oil. They make serious claims on cures for what is no more than sugar water. And Boots sells it for profit knowing it is nothing but a Placebo. Now that is morally wrong ...
It has been shown (in a peer reviewed paper by Ader and Cohen in 1982 for starters) that placebos work.
Guns said:
Does anyone out there think this voodoo medicine works????
Yes, lots.

Guns

War Hero
Joe_Crow said:
Guns said:
... On a more serious note these people are selling vulnerable people nothing more than snake oil. They make serious claims on cures for what is no more than sugar water. And Boots sells it for profit knowing it is nothing but a Placebo. Now that is morally wrong ...
It has been shown (in a peer reviewed paper by Ader and Cohen in 1982 for starters) that placebos work.[end quote]

But only if they do not know it is a placebo. Fully aware of the effect and the documented studies, in fact it becomes that burden of proof - does this "cure" have a greater success than the placebo. Of course the ethical problem is if you know a placebo works and you are a GP do you proscribe something inert if you think that it will make someone "better". Tricky one that.

I worry that vulnerable or gullible people believed that by taking water (as in essence that is what these are) they are some how going to become better. And it comes with a price. And for real proper illnesses not just clinically fed up (A Partridge) or feeling under the weather they are denying themselves proven medical help. And the worse case is children whose parents deny them proper medical care for some hippy ideal. That is, in my opinion, child abuse or neglect.

This subject makes me shuffle the paper and hurhmp a lot.

Guns said:
Joe_Crow said:
Guns said:
It has been shown (in a peer reviewed paper by Ader and Cohen in 1982 for starters) that placebos work.
But only if they do not know it is a placebo. Fully aware of the effect and the documented studies, in fact it becomes that burden of proof - does this "cure" have a greater success than the placebo. Of course the ethical problem is if you know a placebo works and you are a GP do you proscribe something inert if you think that it will make someone "better". Tricky one that.
Quite. So as long as people believe these 'cures' work, they may work. Most doctors do not have a problem prescribing placebos, as the practice is reportedly widespread.

Guns said:
I worry that vulnerable or gullible people believed that by taking water (as in essence that is what these are) they are some how going to become better. And it comes with a price.
If they believe it helps, it may help. by destroying that belief, you are just shutting another door to these people. As for the price, what price good health?

Guns said:
And for real proper illnesses not just clinically fed up (A Partridge) or feeling under the weather they are denying themselves proven medical help. And the worse case is children whose parents deny them proper medical care for some hippy ideal. That is, in my opinion, child abuse or neglect.
Cannot disagree with you on that point. Denying children valid medical treatment on belief grounds should be treated as abuse or neglect, and be dealt with by the full weight of the law. I look forward to seeing Jehova's Witnesses in court for refusing to allow their children to receive blood.

Latest Threads