Homeless Jobless and Wifeless

rockape34

Badgeman
Camoron was around this area lately "shadowing" a policeman to see what the job is all about

... methinks he's trying to be a bit more like Lemsip Öpec (as the Limp Deb is known here)!

pity he can't get his priorities right :roll:

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
The simple fact that only 9% of other ranks 18% and of officers own their own property. This should be a good sign there is an issue to be addressed.

May be better education on their future housing needs outside the forces, if thats by the JSHAO or by other means, I don't care. However it requires to be done sooner rather than later.

The whole point of this campaign is to change the Homelessness Legislation, it currently discriminates against those that have served their country by being in the Armed Forces.

The point made about arguing between his or her's home location for attaining a "Local Connections" is not correct. There are some Districts that wipe their hands of people that have been away for some time. (Posted personnel also included).

In a Continuous Attitude Survey 37% of responding Officers were either fairly or very disatisfied with the prospects for buying or even renting a house. This rose to 42% for other ranks. There are some service families leaving and going into Hostel Accommodation for some time. In some areas this could be up to 2 years.

Hitback

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
This is my recent reply from another MP. As you can see it does work, all you have to do is contact them and ask them to support EDM 288.

Dear Hitback,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me. I appreciate your concern at the difficulties faced by those leaving the armed forces in obtaining social housing, and I understand your wish to see action taken by the Government to address this issue.

You are right in saying that I do not need to be your MP in order to sign Early Day Motion 288 if I agree with the contents of this, and I am pleased to inform that I have indeed added my signature to this motion, to note the important contribution of the armed forces and to raise my concerns about the housing problems many servicemen and women and their families are experiencing.

You can view the motion, currently signed by 221 MPs, by following this link http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=31905&SESSION=885 and my signature should appear on this following the current Parliamentary recess. I will encourage my colleagues to add their signatures and I hope that the motion will continue to gain support and prompt the Government to action to review housing allocation policy to address the problems faced by former members of the armed forces.

Thank you again for getting in touch, and I hope that you will receive useful responses from the other Members you have contacted in connection with this issue.

Yours sincerely,

Jo Swinson MP

Jo Swinson MP

East Dunbartonshire

Tel: 0141

Fax: 0141

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.joswinson.org.uk

ukdaytona

War Hero
From my MP

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx

Thankyou for your email of 6 March. I share your concerns about the housing difficulties faced by those leaving the armed services, and I am anxious to see this matter rectified.

I am afraid I do not sign EDMs as I do not believe they are an effective tool for persuading ministers to change legislation. I prefer instead to write to the minister responsible. I am therefore enclosing a copy of a letter I have written to the Secretary of State for Local Government and Communities, and I will contact you as soon as I receive a reply.

In the meantime if you feel I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

yours sincerely,

Michael Wills
MP

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
ukdaytona, Please keep us updated on his reply to you. I can tell you right now, it will be a cut and paste. It will cover the LSAP, JSHAO, MoD Nominations and the fact they have started a debate about social housing issues and this is included.

All the best.

Hitback

ukdaytona

War Hero
Hitback, I got the reply, its 2 pages and it isnt from the Housing bod but one of her minions....

Think I pm'd it you cpl weeks ago

ukdaytona

War Hero
Letter from my MP to Rt Hon Ruth Kelly..... dated 08 March 2007
Dear Ruth,

I have been contacted by my constituent, Mr X, who believes service personnel are being penalised by the Housing Act of 1966, and as a result having difficulty getting access to scial housing. I enclose a copy of his email of 6 March giving details.

I share Mr X's concerns that those who have served our conutry and worked wherever the job has required are then penalised for having done so , and are not eligable to be considered for housing in the area in which they have been working. I should therefore be grateful for anything you can do to amend legislation to ensure that they are no longer discriminated against and have equal access to social housing.

I should be grateful for your advice on whether there is anything CI might be able to do to persuade 'my town' Borough Council to be more responsive to the needs of service personnel.

with best wishes

Yours sincerely,

Michael Wills
MP......

ukdaytona

War Hero
This was the reply to my MP (Dated 23 April 2007) :

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your letter of 8 March to the Rt Hon Ruth Kelly enclosing your email correspondence from your constituent - Mr. X.

Mr X is concerned about the difficulties which people leaving the armed forces face when trying to access social housing in the area in which they were stationed. I am aware of the Early Day Motion tabled by Nadine Dorries to which Mr X refers.

It may be worth mentioning that, prior to changes to the allocation legislagtion introduced by the Homelessness Act 2002, housing authorities were able to apply blanket exclusions of certain catagories of applicants, including those who were not resident in the authority's district. This is no longer the case. However, in determining relative priorities between applicants, housinh authorities may (but are not required to) take into account a number of factors, including whether or not a person has a local connection. This is particularly relevant in the case of ex-service personnel, since under the housing legislation a person does not establish a local connection with an area because of residence or employment there while he is posted there in the armed forces.

The rationale behind the exception for those serving in the armed forces is to avoid a disproportionate burden falling on local authorities under the homelessness legislation in areas with large military bases (a similar exception applies to prisoners). The statutory provisions on local connection have been part of the homelessness legislation since 1978.

You may be aware that following the publication of John Hills' recent report into the future roles of social housing, Ruth Kelly has commissioned a debate about the future of housing policy which will be considering issues around access to socail housing amongst other things. I have asked my officials to address the issues of local connection for service personnel as part of this work.

You also ask for my advice on whether there is anything you might be able to do to persuade Swindon Borough Counil to be more responsive to the needs of service personnal.

Currently around 23,000 people leave the Armed Forces each year and there are an estimated five million veterans in the UK. Research indicates that the vast majority find service a positive experience and make a successful transition to civilian life. A relatively small minority find it hard to do so and are at risk of becomming homeless. Some become homeless many years later.

The Homelesssness Code of Guidance for Local Authorities provides guidance to housing authorities on working in partnership with other agencies to deliver co-ordinated and effective services to tackle homelessness. Housing authorities that have a significant number of service personnel stationed in their areas will need to work closely with relevant partners, such as the Joint Service Housing Advice Office and the Ministry of Defence's (MOD) resettlement services, to ascertain likely levels of need for housing assistance amongst people leaving the forces and plan their services accordingly.

We issued guidance to local authorities on updating homelessness sratagies (Preveting Homelessness: A Stratergy Healthcheck, September 2006) which includes a section on ex-Service Personnel and encourages local authoirites to consider their needs in their homelesssness stratgies.

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) was established by the MOD in 1992 and provides all service personnal and their families with information and advice on the range of housing options open to them whilst still serving and when about to return to civilian life. JSHAO also provides help and information to ex-Service personnel who are still in Service Families Accomodation. The JSHAO has increased its staff to ediucate Service personnel about the need to consider civillian housing provision at an earlier stage in their career. An important aspect of JSHAO's work is assisting Service Personnal to find housing through the MOD Housing Nominations Scheme, in cooperation with some 40 housing associations and councils across the UK

I hope this is helpful

your sincerely

YVETTE COOPER
(SIGNED ON BEHALF OF THE MINISTER AS DUTY MINISTER)

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
As I said before ukdaytona, it's a cut and paste letter. However. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us, at least those that haven't had a reply yet will be able to compare it with theirs when they do.

Thanks for your support and to althoughs that haven't had a reply, please keep it on trying.

Regards

Hitback

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
My email to Mr Cameron and his office's response. I believe what they are saying to me is; This is a very small issue so please don't bother the leader of the Party! :rambo:

Dear Mr Cameron,

I telephoned your office in London on the 8th May and asked if Mr Cameron would please reply to my email. I was informed by a member of his staff that his office would give me an answer to the meeting.

I served 23 years in Her Majesty's' Armed Forces and I can safely say that all of us that served under a Conservative Party had it a lot better than under the Labour Party. The only real mistake was selling on the SFA to Annington Homes Plc, but the profit shared agreement that still stands could and should be addressed by his party. The exchequer between 1997 and 2004 made over 100 million pounds, whilst those that lived and wished to buy old SFA were given a meagre 1% for ever full ten years served. This I find a disgrace and believe should be corrected in line with current house prices.

On my visit to Ten Downing Street two years ago, I was ignored and my request to see senior members of the government such as the PM, DPM and the housing minister were shunned. I did manage to talk in depth with Mark Harper MP at the House of Commons and the department he works with did release an interesting paper on or around this issue. However TA soldiers and their needs were missing.

I look forward to his response.

Kind regards

Hitback

Dear Mr Hitback,

Thank you for emailing David Cameron – I am replying on his behalf.

Thank you for taking the trouble to write. I believe that you are regular contact with Mark Harper's office and they are aware of some of the issues you raise. Please do keep in touch with them on these matters and thank you again for your email.

Yours sincerely,

Dxxxx Bxxxx

Correspondence Secretary

David Cameron's Office

House of Commons

London

SW1A 0AA

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
There are three more MPs signed up to EDM 288, giving a total of 224. The EDM stands at 13 place over all, keeping it on the front page of the EDMs.

Hitback

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
We now have 225 MPs signed up to EDM 288. My MP Mrs Nadine Dorries will be asking some more questions in the HoC when Mr Brown takes over Office. Last night on the national news, there was a story about the lack of housing in this country. Is there any wonder with the influx of EU people coming here!

I would have to say, they require to close the doors to this country and then address the shortage of housing stock. Bloody Labour Party, they can't govern themselves let alone a country!!!!!

Hitback