Homeless Jobless and Wifeless

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Skynet, Mar 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Homeless, Jobless and Wifeless
    Posted: 2020 26/01/06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homeless, Jobless and Wifeless
    This is how a recent commentator described the predicament of a significant number of ex-service personnel who find themselves without any affordable accommodation on leaving the services. The homeless predicament often leads onto jobless status because of their homeless status and in time the break up of their marriage.
    Many are young service personnel who have been discharged with mental and physical wounds and have not had time to get into the housing market but are discriminated against when applying for social housing. Service personnel on discharge are not given affinity points like civilians who gain these points for living in a particular area. Service personnel are allowed no points because of their itinerate life style, a life style imposed on them in the service of their country.
    The legislation is unfair and especially so with forces personnel engaged in two wars and with an ever increasing tempo of active service operations. The British Armed Forces Federation, The Royal British Legion and the Army Families Federation are all involved with this campaign to amend the current legislation so that ex-forces personnel are given the same opportunity when applying for social housing as any civilian, no more or no less. However, until the current housing legislation is changed it is patently unfair in its present form.
    We need the help of all service personnel, their family, and friends in supporting an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons in order to get the legislation changed. Please go to the Royal British Legion link at the bottom of this page, it finds your MP, writes the letter and all you have to do is send it! There is an old parliamentary saying ‘the door that squeaks gets the attention! We all need to squeak!
    We need your help, go on the link or copy this and send it to family and friends.
    www.britishlegion.org....3998.shtml

If you have time help with the Downing Street Petition would be appreciated.

Petition10DowningStreet
    petitions.pm.gov.uk/forceshousing/

2. I had problems with connecting to your link. This might help:
    http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/content/Campaigning-513626.shtml

The EDM itself is available (& you can check here to see if your MP has already signed it) at:
    http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=31905&SESSION=885

3. Signed and emailed to everybody in my address book.

4. When did the legislation change? When i came out in 76 and moved back to central Scotland, i got the full points entitlement from the day i joined up at Ganges.That included time at sea and ashore

5. It changed in 1978, 1996 and was amended in 2002. This part of the Legislation has never been addressed. It was questioned but ignored back in the 80's. This is the furthest it's ever got and we will continue to press on until it changed.

Regards

Hitback

6. Rcvd this reply today.

Dear Mr Bremner,

Thank you for contacting Malcolm Bruce MP regarding social housing for former armed services personnel.

As your letter concerns Mr Bruce’s parliamentary duties, I have forwarded it to my Westminster colleague, Alex Hernandez. I trust she will be in touch with you shortly.

With kind regards,

Rob

Robert Milsom

Constituency Caseworker to Rt Hon Malcolm Bruce MP

7. Signed and sent, thanks for the link Skynet.

8. Thanks very much for all your help we are slowly gathering support and anything you can do to help would be most appreciated.
    Best wishes
    Skynet

9. We are trying to come to the top of the pile with the Early day motion in the House of Commons. I have pasted below to top ten EDMs so to speak

These are the EDMs which are ahead of us. This page won't let me put them in tabulated form but they are readable. We need to reach that top position! Your help would be most appreciated.

EDM Number EDM Title Primary Sponsor No. of Signatures
    132 ILLEGAL LOGGING Walley, Joan 356
    468 SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Drew, David 339
    471 LOCAL PLANNING AUTHORITIES: ENERGY AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY BILL Caton, Martin 296
    241 PEOPLE AFFECTED BY OCCUPATIONAL PENSIONS SCHEME WIND-UPS Wright, Tony 270
    321 EVERY DISABLED CHILD MATTERS CAMPAIGN Newmark, Brooks 245
    148 SPINAL INJURIES ASSOCIATION Berry, Roger 243
    46 MOBILITY FOR BLIND PEOPLE Butterfill, John 226
    1 CENTENARY OF SCOUTING Russell, Bob 226
    698 HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL DAY 27th JANUARY 2007 Laws, David 221
    287 BREAKTHROUGH BREAST CANCER'S SCREENING SAVES LIVES CAMPAIGN Hodgson, Sharon 216
    866 SAFEGUARDING RUNAWAY AND MISSING CHILDREN Southworth, Helen 213
    90 INLAND WATERWAYS (No. 2) Atkins, Charlotte 210
    969 OCCUPATIONAL PENSIONS AND JUDICIAL REVIEW Wright, Tony 201
    153 SOCIAL HOUSING Starkey, Phyllis 199
    *288 HOUSING PROVISION FOR FORMER MEMBERS OF THE UNITED KINGDOM'S ARMED FORCES Dorries, Nadine 191*

10. aberdeenlad, Thats great news make sure you keep on his tail though, as so MP's are ignoring their constitiuents. The EDM has had another signature, which is great but we need a lot more to support us. The Labour Party has been very slow to act on this so If you have a Labour Minister for your Constituency please email them via the Royal British Legion link on this thread.

Once you get their reply please place it on here for others to read.

Regards

Hitback

11. I signed the petition and got a nice 'Houses of Parliament' letter from David Laws MP saying that he fully supports this EDM and has signed it.

Well done David.

12. Just got a reply through the post from Peter Viggers, conservative MP for Gosport and Alverstoke:

'Dear Mr Brown
    Thank you for your emailed letter of 26 March
    I have signed EDM288. Perhaps you do not know that I have been leading the campaign to give former Service personnel a measure of priority for Council Housing. My campaign was successful in leading a change of the law a dozen years ago but since then local authorities have failed to fulfil their obligation and it is time to have another go.
    Yours Sincerely
    Peter Viggers'

At least one MP appears to be doing something about it, as he should representing a constituency with a high proportion of HM Forces and ex-forces
    Kepp signing the campaign, maybe someone might take some notice

13. Frank Doran Labour MP informed a work mate of mine that he had signed EDM288. I will try and get a copy of the email and post it.

14. The EDM has now reached 200 signatures and the Petition continues to grow. To al those that have had a reply from their MPs, well done for pushing them. This issue will be upsetting some MPs, but at least we have got them to address the issue and its affects on service leavers and Veterans. Please keep up the great work and keep the site informed of any movement by your MP on this issue.

Regards

Hitback

Royal British Legion email letter to send to MP.
    http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/content/Problems-with-Social-Housing-513998.shtml

Petition Form.
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/forceshousing/

15. The information from the DCLG turned up today. It has lots of black pen through it, but I have noticed by some of the information that there is a consensus there needs to be changes made. Its been down to all of you that have taken part, and, I hope continue to take part in this campaign, that will force those in power to amend the legislation in due course. We all require to continue to send emails to our MPs asking them why 199(2)and (3) is so important now days, is it correct that the Imigrations Department should be permitted to take 10% of Social Housing stock. This stock is in great need for those people already resident in this country?

Regards

Hitback

P.S Some of the information I received is from web site forums.

16. THE RAF AND NAVY DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HOUSING WHEN LEAVING THE FORCES. 8O

As you will see from the following information there are moves a foot, however the time scale is very slow. At least someone understands that local areas with a military presents do benefit from their locations. The data that was being put together was being limited to the following locations; Aldershot (Army), Brize Norton (RAF), Catterick (Army), Colchester (Army) Plymouth (Royal Navy),, Tidworth (Army), Warminster (Army). The following location have been dispensed with; Brize Norton, Lineham, Plymouth, Portsmouth, HMS Collingwood. Their understanding is this is not such an issue with the RAF and the Royal Navy. I beg to differ, this issue affects all service personnel? They were also looking for more locations to exclude from the data being requested. Once again we see the government trying to paste over the cracks. Its very important at this early stage, that the correct number of service personnel and families being discriminated by Housing Association etc is formulated correctly, must include all locations. The other point I would like to make is, What about future locations for Super Garrisons. The local infranstructors will become hugh all built up by service families and single personnel!

Its the legislation that requires to change not pep talks to some HAs and Councils.

Plymouth has by all accounts included in the data but I'm not sure. None of the data has come with this FOI from the DCLG.

THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE TO BE ACTIVE ON THIS CAMAPIGN. AS MINISTERS SEEM TO BELIEVE THE RAF AND NAVY ARE OK. :!: :!:

Regards

Hiback

[​IMG]

17. I suspect it is probably true to say that the percentage of RN and RAF personell affected is less is probably true. The RN has always tended to appear to support the concept of base ports so there is more likelyhood of RN personell getting onto the non service housing ladder before leaving because of this, equally the RAF probably has a more stable basing policy as well. That of course is no arguement for denying those who are still using service provided quarters access to public housing when they leave the service, and if the numbers are less then it should be easier to achieve.

18. Hi

I recieved a letter yesterday from Rosie Cooper my MP who claims she cannot sign it bescause she is a Parliamentary Private Secretary or similar.
    (I will check proper wording when I get home)

Terry