Home town Rememberance Day Parade

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by rod-gearing, Nov 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I managed to drag myself out of bed this morning after two hours sleep from a busy night shift to attend todays service in my home village.
    My father wanted me to accompany him as he is in his 80th year and he said he might not be around next year.He is sadly ex RAF VR but I dont hold it againgst him.
    When I arrived shortly before the parade setting off I was amazed at the amount of people there,more than I have ever seen even for the local carnival event.
    Having fought my way through the crowd I found my old boy,resplendant in blazer and his old RAF forage cap,badge shining a good un.
    We fell in and set off up the High St on the parade route.
    What really struck me was the turnout of very young people wearing their grandads/fathers medals on their right breast and poppies in lapels and standing proudly to attention as we marched past.
    Even the local High School had a wreath laid by pupils.

We tend to mock and criticise the youth of today but it brought back my faith in human nature today.

There were so many people attending that we couldnt all fit into the church so those left outside just stood around renewing old friendships and swapping stories.

The army had sent along a detachment of the Mercian Regt to hounour a local lad who was killed in Iraq this year and the salute his former comrade gave could have cut steel it was so sharp.

My old dad was chuffed to bits and I for one was glad that I had made the effort.

Will I be there next year?

You can bet your pension I will,I wouldnt miss it for the world.

2. My parents dragged me to our local service every year as a child. Now, as an adult I can truly appreciate why I was taken. I thank my parents for having taught me how indebted we all are to the men and women who have fought for our freedom periodically throughout history.

Seeing a man in a wheelchair with a watery glaze and a chest of medals always brings a tear to my eye, and that is the way it should be.

I often wonder how long it will be before 11/11/11 is hijacked by PC bull, and those who believe it glorifies war.
  3. It already has Sara, have you seen those white poppies.

White Poppy

I thought that the red poppy symbolised the ultimate sacrifice - blood shed, lives lost, etc.

I can see why people would want to wear a white poppy, but today is about remebering those that fell.

Apparently some people feel that the red poppy symbolizes war and aggression, and feel its offensive.
  4. Was at my local service again this year .

As noted there were quite a lot of people attending compared to some
    of the other times I have been there. Also medals worn by obviously
    non service people were quite noticeable.

Maybe people are realising that the Armistice Day services must continue
    due to the ages of the older Vets not being able to attend so are filling the gaps for them.

Its definately worthwhile attending--the admiring looks from the people bystanding tells the story --they do appreciate us.

:nemo: :nemo:
  5. Its good to see that attendances are increasing at these services, however what was the makeup of the crowd? If its anything like in Australia, I bet there were very few of your recent immigrants bothered to show up to pay their respects.
  6. [align=left][align=justify]I was waving my banner at our Rememberance Parade yesterday. If it wasn't for the youth organisations here there would be no parade. Veterans are getting thin on the ground, because of age. But it is also the fault of the local RBL ever changing the parade. I have been RMA Standard Bearer for 3 years and not once has the the layout of organisations been the same on the march! This year the layout was RBL Standards, RBL contingent, RN contingent, no RNA Standard? or bods, the town council who were gassing to each other all the way, RMA Standard, RMA smart lads, MN. old 'uns, Army cadets then the scouts, etc. Never before have the council marched 'sorry' ambled. But putting them at the near front is a right cock up.
    I am going to the legion today and see the organisers and have a grump.
    In fact the councillors get served first at the bar in the legion. Bloody civilians :pukel: [/align][/align]
  7. The Mayor of Chepstow where I live is doing her best -

I was outraged by this and am writing to the mayor today to tell her so! I hope others will feel free to express their opinion either directly to her, or in the local paper's website comments section.

In case anyone misunderstands this isn't an important person we're talking about - the post of Mayor rotates around a group of town councillors who are all nobodies and have a budget of £270,000, but they get attention in the media because they are often mistaken for people who matter!
  8. It was the first time I had spent rememberance weekend at my outlaws and wifes home village. My mother-in-law had told me it was always a good turnout but I was surprised at how many did. It started off with the police stopping traffic at one end of the village and a policeman leading the parade to the memorial. The parade consisted of a piper, the local scouts, girl guides and loads of kids from the village primary school, and lots of locals. Bearing in mind that Dunfermline gets the vast majority of the veterans and dignitaries plus the military turnout it was extremely pleasing to see so many youngsters turing out in their own wee village.
  9. I went to a local service. Although I didn't particpate in the parade I was there smartly dressed with my only medal on. I paid my respects to everyone!

I'm not a major church go but I did go in for the church service after to pay further respects.

It's such a shame to see so few people not connected to the armed forces paying respect. It annoys me how society today allows the current generations to give such little respect.
  10. Attended the Remembrance Day service at the British Army Base in Dhelekia yesterday, and there was a massive turnout. It was standing room only in the church, and there were representatives from all branches of the forces, including 1 solitary Jenny Wren.
    It was made even more special for me personally, when I spotted someone else wearing their Dolphins on their blazer, and when I went to have a word with him, he turned out to be a guy that I had served with on Cachalot with 40 years ago!
  11. I went and joined the ranks of the RBL in my town and lowered the average age of the group by some 35 years. Although a landlocked town, the platoon leader of the RBL was an ex-submariner commander, and one of the soldiers from the local regiment noticed my dolphins, leant over and said that he too was an ex-submariner. Like their boats, submariners show up where they are least expected.

Large turn out in the town square, many civvies also wearing medals, on both sides of their chests. Local RAF squadron even sent along a 3 helo fly past.

Pity to see so few young bloods in the RBL contingent.
  12. Unfortunately I was working, propping up the NHS coalface. Two minutes silence was marked on the wards and departments very well and a good number of staff, visitors and patients did their best to mark it reverently. It did feel odd, and quite embarrassing to get bleeped during the silence - but it waited. I noticed an awful lot of children wearing poppies visiting their elderly relatives, reaffirmed some of my jaded faith in humanity.

13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Remembrance Parade at Weymouth always an excellent turn out, followed by a short march along part of the Esplanade, applauded all the way by those watching.

Even better the Veterans March in June each year, march the full length of the Esplanade with thousands applauding those marching, usually over 2000 marching. A very moving experience.

I believe that the vast majority of ordinary citizens want to support the Services the problem being that they don't often get an opportunity to do so.

Veterans come from all over the South of England to take part in the Veterans March, well worth coming along either to watch or take part.
  14. Was in Paris over the W/E an attended the procedings on the Etiole de Charles De Gaule and Champs Elyeese. Pretty quiet and not a patch on ours. They have blue Corn Flowers? in stead of Poppys but I saw more Brits wearing poppys than French with their flowers(less than 1%).Will try to publish some picswhen I learn to drive this camera. There wasnt any veterans in the parade after. But their Pres saw some sat in the stand including one from WW1.
    Paris/Harliquins match a disapointment.
  15. I went to my Local one in Littlehampton and again was suprised at the turnout,it seems the Public are more aware now of the Sacrifice people have made to make this country free still
  16. There is a small WW1 War memorial in Kincardine O' Neil and my Dad now 91 remembers attending when he was a lad between the wars with Uncle Bob who lost a leg in the war to end all wars.
  17. Hi Nicks, see you're in Littlehampton (Chopper), brings back memories of time spent at Ford (HMS Peregrine). Picture on the front of the "Argus" a good turn out of Worthing Sea Cadets.
    Alas didn't make the Local parade, but watched the Cenotaph service.