Holland I

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Always_a_Civvy, Oct 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been browsing through Radio 4's archives online and came across a programme from 2002 which includes an item on the restoration of Holland I, the RN's first submarine, now at Gosport. You can listen to the programme in full, including this item here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/leadingedge_20021114.shtml

The BBC4 site blurb reads...

2. The History Channel is due to broadcast a documentary about the recovery of the Royal Navy's first submarine Holland One on 23 June 2007. The programme is entitled 'Mega Movers: Sub Salvage'.

Holland One entered service in 1901 but sank near the Eddystone off Plymouth in November 1913 while being towed to the breaker's yard in Wales. The programme will feature interviews with Lt Cdr Duncan Bridge (who led the RN saturation diving team, Naval Party 1007 on board MV Seaforth Clansman, involved in the salvage operation in 1982) and Cdr Jeff Tall RN (Director of the RN Submarine Museum).

Check local listings or the History Channel website to confirm dates and times.