Holidays during phase 2

Stirlin

War Hero
I understood it to be long white tapes for groom only.........if there are a bunch of your oppos there in rig it will help the bride to spot new hubby after downing umpteen glasses of bubbly.....or not. ;)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Every rig wedding I attended as a JR only the groom had white tapes, including my own wedding.

I think it's a tradition to mark out the condemned man ;)

huwshpis

War Hero
How could they see to hang someone, was it by feel?

The hood went over the head of the condemned after they were on the trapdoors of the scaffold and before the noose was put on (see the book Executioner: Pierrepoint). According to Pierrepoint, this was only a matter of a second or so before he opened the trapdoors and dropped the condemned to break his neck.

There are examples on display at the former Crumlin Road Prison, Belfast. The gallows there are still in place and in working order.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The hood went over the head of the condemned after they were on the trapdoors of the scaffold and before the noose was put on (see the book Executioner: Pierrepoint). According to Pierrepoint, this was only a matter of a second or so before he opened the trapdoors and dropped the condemned to break his neck.

There are examples on display at the former Crumlin Road Prison, Belfast. The gallows there are still in place and in working order.
I was taking the piss:rolleyes:;)

but I'll take that as a bite ;)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

There's a working gallows in Guz Dockyard, built during the Napoleonic wars. For use by the French to enforce discipline on their own people. Whilst the death penalty was still available for things like treason and fire in HM Dockyard one of the major prisons also had a working gallows. Now death penalty is no more they've probably done away with it.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
There's a working gallows in Guz Dockyard, built during the Napoleonic wars. For use by the French to enforce discipline on their own people. Whilst the death penalty was still available for things like treason and fire in HM Dockyard one of the major prisons also had a working gallows. Now death penalty is no more they've probably done away with it.
'Tiz still there and maintained. Building 11 IIRC.

Latest Threads