Holiday Advice

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by garythebird, Aug 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In case anyone is ever afflicted with the desire to book an 'all-inclusive' at Hotel Polynesia, Benalmadena on the Costa Del Sol... Don't! For a start 'al'l is not included. Not even coffee and tea in the rooms. The staff feel free to laugh in your face when you ask for something, you'll spend more time queueing for drinks (that you have paid for) than drinking them, the water park consists of three puddles (two of them are a bus ride away) and the scran is gash.

Thought I'd share that.

Good advice for folks booking holidays and cathartic for me.
  2. Especially as Thompsons are exercising there humour glad by touting it as 4 star.
  3. The words Costa Del Sol should have been a clue.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Why would you go all inclusive there? A full Engilsh followed by a pint is only a couple of Euros. Or god forbid drive 10-15 miles into the hills and find real Spanish villages and food/drink
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I've just come back from a camping holiday on the Lleyn Peninsula, boyo. It cost me and my family a total of ten quid a night to pitch my aging tent. As a matter of interest how much did your 'all inclusive' cost per head?

If it makes you feel any better, the power steering hose on my car burst & cost £250 to get fixed, my tent started to self destruct by sprouting random tears in the fabric and it was a bit overcast on the Wednesday.

In my ire, I considered writing a stiff letter to someone, but remembered I hadn't used a tour operator. The car is 7 years old and the tent 5, so thought I'd vent my spleen here instead.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. For those who do not have to consider kids (or don't mind paying the fine 7 take them out of school) I would recommend Malta between Oct 1st and April 30th
    Small Island with lots to see and do.
    Eating out is very reasonable
    Most hotels do not charge a single supplement during this period.
    English is not only spoken but understood.
    But best of all it's cheap as fck.

I wil be ther in November for 10 days booked on tinternet, I am staying at a cheap All Inclusive hotel in Paceville, this is the night club area near St Julians so may get a little noisy.
    I stayed at the hotel in January and it was OK, food was not brilliant but I always found something that I could eat. Drinks were good and service fairly sharp. No coffee tea or water in the room but that is normal.
    Total cost less than £300 for the 10 days.
    Hotel 10 night AI £170
    Air fare with easyjet from Gatwick £120
    Transfer (shuttle bus) both ways £8

Anyone want further details pm me:clap:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ...........I understand that there are lots of last minute holiday bargains available in Egypt, most of which are "all inclusive" (probably a good idea that!)
  8. VMT - PM on it's way, Slim
  9. But dont go between April and October unless you are heat retardent
  10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I would add to your Malta endorsement that if you do have kids, the locals (especially restaurants) are very family friendly.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ditto the Malta advice.
  12. There an extra fee for Body Armour and airport transfer via APC?

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead
  13. :

Up until a day or so I was researching Malta for a November break.(VMT Slim)

Situation has since changed - Now Cyprus for 14 days or so:

Flexi-Flights arranged and we reckon on staying near/in PaphosTown for a couple of days to unwind before hire-car touring around at a mixture of economical B & Bs with the occasional night or two of Five Star treatment, in both N & S Cyprus.

All suggestions welcomed please, for those 'cannot miss/must avoid' items on our flexible itinerary?

We are both first timers there but not interested in 03-dubs-clubs or (November) beaches.
  14. tiddlyoggy

Bob, we holiday in Cyprus frequently. We go to a small fishing village called Pissouri. Beautiful unspoilt area in easy driving distance of the airport and the bigger towns and the Troodos mountains. The last two occasions we booked a 2 bed villa there, can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I'll look for the leaflet when I go home if you're interested.
  15. Yes please, TO

Every little helps...
  16. Just be careful while motoring around etc. I've rarely driven anywhere more terrifying than some parts of Cyprus. Locals are barmy.

17. tiddlyoggy

GS, you've clearly never driven in central London then???!!!

18. Though the border between the North & South is now open and can be crossedyou may have to purchase extra insurance to take a car hired in the South into the North.
    In the North Kyrenia and Bellapais are well worth visiting. I worked in the North at Lefkosa as the Turkish Cypriots call Nicosia. Food and drink are much cheaper in the North as are cigarettes (though I am unsure if you are allowed to take them back to the South).
    • Like Like x 1

19. And DO NOT under any circumstance go hill walking on a Sunday! Even dressed head to foot in flourescent orange.

Sunday is the day the 'hunters' go a shootin' and they'll happily blast away at anything that moves.

Mmmmmmmm - brandy sours........!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Cue the wee STAB Grim Squeaker on the safety post at one entry to the live fire range thingie during Ex LionStar in 2005 politely telling locals "No you can't walk your child, Dog, Goat, wife etc through here as its dangerous.... Only to be confronted by locals more tooled up than the whole exercise put together swan past as if I wasn't there. *******.