Hoisting the battle ensign

sampost

Lantern Swinger
I am inspired by Jack Crawford, who simply "nailed his colours to the mast". No knots involved (at that stage of the battle, at any rate).

Per Wikipedia: "During the Age of Sail, ships would legally fight only while flying their national flag. Flying another flag was considered to be a legitimate ruse de guerre only until the beginning of the fight. Striking the colours was a sign of surrender. Indeed, when cannon shots fell a ship's flag, her opponent would cease firing and inquire whether she was capitulating.
In contrast, fixing the battle ensign with nails would prevent it from being removed easily, and effectively prevented the surrender. It became an expression of defiance and willingness to force oneself to fight up to the bitter end."

A sitrep from the South, where the Union Jack was once an integral patch on the "Oranje, blanje, blou" (The Orange, white and blue):

Xsanggle

I was the person responsible for unfurling the Royal Standard at the Queens Birthday Parade on the Maifeld in Berlin for several years, including one time when she attended herself.
What has been said is basically correct but the truck us that the wrapped around halyard is actually prevented from just slipping out by the insertion of 2 matchsticks in the loop.
Then when the rope is tugged the standard unfurls, you have to be ready to take up the slack of the excess halyard as it drops away from the standard and keep it tight to the top of the mast.
I was taught this trick by a Major in the Grenadier Guards.

Waspie

War Hero
We used to unfurl ensigns from helicopters, I forget the knot we used but I would put money on it 'not', (no pun), being in any seamanship manual.

We used a weak chord to tie it all together, Then a sharp tug, the chords would break and the flag unfurl for the delight of the crowd!!

BusterQuin

War Hero
We used to unfurl ensigns from helicopters, I forget the knot we used but I would put money on it 'not', (no pun), being in any seamanship manual.

We used a weak chord to tie it all together, Then a sharp tug, the chords would break and the flag unfurl for the delight of the crowd!!
It was the WAFU version of the 'Stoker's dhobey hitch'

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
I was the person responsible for unfurling the Royal Standard at the Queens Birthday Parade on the Maifeld in Berlin for several years, including one time when she attended herself.
What has been said is basically correct but the truck us that the wrapped around halyard is actually prevented from just slipping out by the insertion of 2 matchsticks in the loop.
Then when the rope is tugged the standard unfurls, you have to be ready to take up the slack of the excess halyard as it drops away from the standard and keep it tight to the top of the mast.
I was taught this trick by a Major in the Grenadier Guards.
You must be a Kiwi!:D

Jack