Hockey in the RN?

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by ht214, Sep 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I'm applying as an officer (AIB in Nov), and although I have seen the literature they give about sporting "opportunities" etc. I wanted to know how easy it is to get involved, and specifically if there's a womens hockey club.

Thanks!

2. Hi there

Most shore bases have clubs which you can find out about through the PT department when you get there

Ships also have various sporting teams again speak to the PTI on board.

I'm sure you won't have any problem playing hockey when in the Navy as I played for the ships I was on

3. what is PT? I am trying so hard to keep up with all the abbreviations, but there always seem to be more!

H x

4. Physical Training Department

Physical Training Instuctor

5. Plenty of hockey at Dartmouth and plenty beyond (especially if you become a workshy WAFU... [​IMG]). :thumright:

6. hi HT

Im the current BRNC hockey captain, sadly there is not alot of hockey here at present. As for beyond Dartmouth there are plenty of teams and alot of scope to play for the RN. I used to play for the RN and you will get lots of chances to play and do some touring too!

Nick

7. Touring? as in international destinations? Man, the best I got at that was Cyprus, and we absolutely creamed every team we came up against! Is there a lot of inter-forces sport?

I also saw an *interesting* version of hockey played on the flight deck of HMS Illustrious on the Channel 5 series - is that a common thing, or just something for the cameras?!

H x

8. Flight deck hockey is played throughout the fleet on deployments and it can be quite violent. I loved it

9. What's with all the sports threads lately? Does no one join up just for the Tickety Boo uniform and great pay and benefits anymore? Er,... as you were ..carry on.

10. Well yeah of course we join up for them (ish), but we have to play lots of sports to be able to fit into the tickety boo uniform!

H x

11. Recently Plymouth Command Hockey toured Australia. WHich is quite unusual for a Command team to do. Although the RN women's team takes part in an international tournament nigh on every other year (Cyprus,Holland etc). The scope out there to play hockey is large, weekends playing for United Services in Pompey or Plymouth, weekdays for an establishment, and come the Summer months you have the mixed season as well.

12. Most sailors must play tiddleywinks then, 'cause their arses can't fit in the uniforms.
    Is that a kiss there? Are you trying to pull? PM me your phone No and we'll sort something. :thumright:

13. Ummmm.... Trying to pull in a forum is just a little bit cheesy! I'm alright thanks!

14. Damn, that was some of my best work. Ah well, another night in with Wet Blobby won't kill me.

15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I could make some cheap jibe about rupettes and hockey but I'm to busy wiping myself.

16. There is a very high standard of hockey in Civvy street. My wife played for Saltash and then Fareham for many years.

The Ladies RN hockey had a bit of a reputation tho........