HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2009

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

Why? shouldn't it be doing something useful like working up or protecting commerce off the Horn of Africa.

2. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

Don't you think they need a break now and then?

3. I would hardly call visiting London a break, I mean who in their right mind would go there unless it was absolutely necessary horrible filthy place that is is and it's full of foreigners.

4. Just like Somalia, really.

5. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

About a quarter of those so-called foreigners are my work colleagues: Scots! Obviously most Scots don't read non-fiction (Dunkers excepted, of course), or there wouldn't be so many Scottish librarians in London. :dwarf:

6. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

So I take it is for sale with it being a boat show then?

7. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

Wouldnt get much for it...would they? :dwarf:

8. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

Ah, good. I had thought I would miss this. I'm flying down to London on the 17th, so it looks like I'll be in time for a visit. Are there many other good sights to be seen at the boat show? I have not attended before.

9. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

Google is your friend:

LONDON INTERNATIONAL BOAT SHOW 2009

10. I totally agree with you - its full of Scots. ;-)

11. It won't be a break fr the ships coy. Scrubbing out and providing manpower for all the bullshit that accompanies an event of this type is no ones idea of a break. suppose it's quite possible for somene who has never served to see this as some kind of jolly. Surely the RN does'nt need to expose itself to the public, and opinion formers in the marine industry!

12. As 'The Forgotten Service', surely that's the very thing it needs to do more.

13. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

We Scots would not dream of calling English folks visiting Bonnie Scotland foreigners, ‘poor cousins’ is much more apposite.

14. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

Surprisingly I tend to agree with Fink's. Having done many Navy Days and Meet the Royal Navy both in UK and abroad in my service I agree it it is a useful PR Exercise BUT I repeat BUT when the MOD cannot provide a DD/FF to cover the Falkland Island but can tie one up in Docklands for a week or more it indicates both to friends and enemies where out priorities lay.

That is the reason the Argies kick off in 82 do we never learn the lessons of history. Unfortunately no as both WW1 and WW2 clearly showed.

Nutty

15. Surely this is a recruitment drive as much as a PR exercise though? If it is the former then 2 weeks is probably good value for money.

16. I would have thought that the RN would send a Submarine to a Boat show!

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Boats open to visitors, even now that brings a smile to my face, who could ever forget being on duty at the bottom of the foreward torpedo loading hatch ladder on an A boat. During the 60's all those wide hemmed dresses and skirts...I'm off to lie down.

18. Wot ticking off the nicker colours just hpoing a Commando would come down and I do not mean a bootie.

Happy new year Brian

Nutty

19. Re: HMS Westminster at the London Boat Show - 9th-18th Jan 2

Oh dear! ;) The thought is almost enough to turn me straight! :pukel: