HMS Wakeful

Discussion in 'History' started by dwgwilliams, Nov 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello
    I hope im posting in the right section of a site.
    Basicly im trying to track down a ship my old man served on. It was the HMS "Wakeful". But it was the mid 80's. He's trying to remember the old ship numbers he served on (like F75).
    I can only find information on the HMS Wakeful that was in WW2. There seems to be no information on the net about this ship, or am i looking in the wrong places.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The Wakeful that lasted long after the war was the same as the one in the war - started life as a W class War Emergency Destroyer, converted post-war to Type 15 Anti-submarine frigate. I think ALL the War Emergencies that were fit for further service (T, U, V, W, Z classes) were so refitted except the C (Ca, Ch, Co) class(es). To see (roughly) what Wakeful looked like originally go and visit HMS Cavalier - although she was somewhat modernised post-war, she kept the fundamental classic British destroyer layout.
  4. Aah! The good old Wakeful! I did my sea training on her as a JEM2 back in 1963! Happy days
  5. Happy days my arse I was on her sister ship, Virago F76 another type 15 as the training ship for SSMEs worse draft in the history of the RN.

6. Urchin?

Virago retired with 'Condenseritus'

They weren't that bad, considering their ages
  7. Oh yes they were bad. The greenies mess was over crowded all 'micks' not a bunk in sight in fact the SSME's in the after messes had some bunks but us greenies zilch. DC, open front switchboards, ventilation fans that needed constant removal to repair, plus the crew were crap and rubbish runs ashore.
  8. So apart form that they were OK. :clown:
  9. Served in Ulster from 1958-60. She was, as stated, a converted destroyer from WWII. Some of the conditions were a bit primative, but we loved her, and to prove it, we've just celebrated our commission with a 50th anniversary weekend. Great success, over thirty, plus partners, were there, and all voted for a further reunion.
    You don't realize what you've had until it's too late!

10. HMS Undaunted was another of this class and was Eisenhower's flag ship on D-Day.
    They were a very fast type and Undaunted was once clocked at 43 knots. Not bad for an old WW2 ship.