HMS Victory found by salvage company.

Discussion in 'History' started by wet_blobby, Feb 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

2. Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the courts, does the UK want to partner with the salvage company and benefit from the cargo etc, or do they want to make it an official grave/historical site and thus not allow anyone near it... :wink:

3. Didn't realise we'd lost it. I could of sworn I saw her in Pompey Dockyard about 6 motnhs ago

Edited to add: Must go I think I can hear my taxi

4. me too stores will loose anything these days

5. I thought the English Channel was British territorial waters (clue's in the name) so I can't see any argument here. Although personally I suspect the Government will come to an arrangement with Odyssey in the form of an exchange of the salvaged goods for $$$.

6. It's a British warship, no matter how old, so how come it isn't declared a war grave or something similar to prevent such a blatantly treasure hunting company from pilfering (former) government property - not to mention disturbing the numerous remains which must exist?

Then again, the government will sell almost anything off for a profit if past behaviour is anything to go by...

7. Mate relax HMS Victory (6) is still there in Pompey Dockyard. :D :D

HMS Victory (4) is the one sunk off the Channel Islands

Bloody Journos again :evil:

8. Why is there even negotiation required between the salvage company and UK Government? As I understand it any sunken warship remains the property of the nation which operated it, including all cargo at the time of sinking. I guess lawyers have to make a living somehow... :roll:

9. HMS Edinburgh salvors represented by Sewe, Grabitte and Runne.

HMG represented by Dewy, Cheetham and Howe.

And in the twinkling of an eye 465 bars of Uncle Joe Stalin's gold arrive on surface.

Watch it happen again.

RM

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I seem to have read somewhere that a thousand men went down with her - seems rather a lot for the size of ship but nevertheless she is just as much a war grave as any more recent sinking. The behaviour of the divers on board the Edinburgh was not encouraging in this respect.

11. The 100 gun first-rate ship preceding the existing "Victory," was, like her, a first-rate three-decker, carrying no guns, and was accounted the finest ship in the service.

In 1744 she was the flagship of Admiral Sir J. Balchen, a venerable officer of 75 years of age, who had been called from the honourable retirement of Greenwich Hospital to command a fleet destined to relieve Sir Charles Hardy, then blockaded in Lisbon by a superior French force, under the Count de Rochambault. On returning from the successful performance of this service, the fleet was dispersed in the chops of the Channel by a tremendous gale, on October 4th. The rest of the ships, though much shattered, gained the anchorage of Spithead in safety, but the "Victory" was never more heard of, though from the evidence of fishermen of the island of Alderney, she was believed to have run on to the Caskets, some dangerous rocks lying off that island, where her gallant crew of about a thousand perished to a man.