HMS Victorious R38 Procedure Alpha Subic Bay Jan 1965

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by swiss_navy, Jun 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [Deleted]

2. did the same thing on her in 61/62 trip.Reason I reply is that I still have the front page of the Daily Sketch when they highlighted[for a joke] the guy standing under the angled deck Port side all alone.
    They seemed to imply he had got lost and ran a full spread about it also all those who were to be married[including me] on the flightdeck.
    Remember Subic as a helluva run ashore,never payed for a drink thanks to the Yanks who would not accept our cash for anything,got to admire people like that!

3. More helos on there than in the whole fleet now.

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Was there a pic for this Proc A?

5. [Deleted]

6. Here's another one of HMS Victorious c.1962 for you. The same guy seems to be standing under the angled deck
    port side all alone again. I hope someone stood him down eventually.

[​IMG]

7. What is the purpose of those snout like things that stick out from the front of a carrier's flight deck? (The old Ark Royal had one added in a refit while Eagle didn't) I read somewhere that they were to catch the launching strop after the aircraft had been catapulted. How did they work? Did someone have to walk on down and pick the strops up by hand?
    Thanks

8. They are indeed Bridle Catchers and the Ark had two fitted, one to the bow catapault and one to the portside catapault. They were fitted during the 1967-1970 refit. The reason being the cost of the bridles lost over the side during launch of aircraft prior to the bridle catchers being fitted. After being fitted the bridles could be used again. After launch the steam catapault was pulled back to the loading point and it would bring the bridle back with it. Even though the Eagle took part in Phantom trials it was later decided that they would be based on the Ark and that is why the catchers were not fitted to her and she was decommisssioned in 1972 and anchored in Plymouth sound to be cannabilised for parts for the Ark until 1978.

9. OK Swiss Navy in your pictures we have Victorious, two Oz River Class Type 12 frigates, two Battle Class destroyers, with some thing smaller at the rear of the sail past and another smaller frigate second in line and maybe a County leading the line. Plus two other carriers. Can you remember what these other ships were. Purely out of interest.

Great pics.

10. [Deleted]

11. HMAS Yarra is definetly the lead ship also involved in our task group were HMAS Parramatta HMS Agincourt Chichester Plymouth/ :thumright: Wafu forever (on the first picture)

12. Second picture is HMS Victorious /Lead Ship. HMAS Melbourne .HMS Bulwark cant help with the other ships as their was 36 other ships involved from Royal and commonwealth navies. The exercise was Fotex 65 in the straits of Malacca regards scouse

13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Ace pix. Have a feeling I was on that in London; and that this was the ex (off Pulau Langkawi) where three aircraft (one of them Oz) went in in one day and five aircrew were lost. Price of Admiralty (and of 'Confronting' Sukarno). Other FAA were lost in the ulu, presumably still there - RIP.

I think the lonely bod under the angled deck is an SSD there to tell Father if he is going to sink some small fry which has otherwise escaped notice.

14. Here are three RN carriers in line astern c.1962. I believe the lead ship is Victorious with Eagle bringing up the rear (also fitted with 984 3D radar).

[​IMG]

There are also some marvellous photos of carriers on the Maritime Quest website (link).

15. yes that is correct HMS Eagle wessex 820 sqdn lost 2 helicopters on consecutive days my oppo was the aircrewman on one of the choppers LEM Little the crew were L/T Rayment SL/T Mathews and A/SL/T Clay. Dont have any info of the OZ Loss .regards scouse

16. exercise ROYAL FLUSH in the Med HMS Victorious leads HMS Ark Royal and HMS Hermes :thumright:

17. Re Bridle catchers: My understanding was that the bidles spun on the cather and damaged the underside of the fuselage.

18. Thanks for those pictures, theyre really very good - must have been something about Victorious and its Flight Deck Party back in the 60's, the prod A ranges are always incredibly well put in, a credit to the lads who put them in.

19. Ah Yes the "Happy Hermes"

I have an original copy of that "Line astern" picture, taken during Hermes' first and happiest commision. I served in her again in 1973 but I felt the old girl had lost her soul when she lost her fixed wing capability. But didn't she do well in the Falklands?

20. HMS ARK ROYAL PROCEDURE ALPHA

[​IMG]