HMS Vanguard

Discussion in 'History' started by Thim, Jun 30, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello.
    I went through some old pictures of my father and I found this one
    The men on the left and right are Dutch sailors from the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman
    The sailor on the right is my father and he told me that this picture was taken in 1952 in Portland (or Portsmouth) on a navelbase during a fleetshow which the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman visited.
    The sailor in the middle has HMS Exellent on his hat which I understood is or was a gunnery school.
    But he was a crew member of the HMS Vanguard (battleship)
    Now the question is maybe someone here knows how to find out who that sailor is or tell me which forum I should use for this.
    I know it's difficult to find but maybe someone would like to have this picture. It's worth a try.
    Or someone here has some more information about this fleet show like picture of the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman being there because I can't find anything like that
    And my apologies for any language mistakes! (I did my best):-?
  2. In the background to the photo is a lady stood in what looks like a mobile refreshment stand which would suggest it is ashore and most likely in Portsmouth as the sailor in the middle has an Excellent cap tally.
  3. That's weird. I never noticed the lady in the stand untill now! On the original picture you almost can't see her.
    Already thanks for that!
    So the naval base is or was in Portsmouth right? And so is the Excellent cap?
  4. The link below might help explain why the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman was in the UK.

"Castanets" 1952

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Royal Air Force and Naval Aviation News[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Exercise " C a s t a n e t s"

5. Fantastic! Thanks for that. So she wasn't there for a fleetshow but for a NATO exersize. I have to talk to my dad. He's 83 now. it might al come back to him. Thanks guys!
  6. Thim, Hallo en welkom op het forum. =)

7. Hi SP. Thanks! It's really interesting! That's Dutch! Spreek je Nederlands? / You speak Dutch?
    But still I don't know if it's possible that the sailor in the middle has "HMS Exellent" on his cap and he is serving on the HMS Vanguard? Is it?
  8. Hi Thim

HMS Excellent is a shore base in Portsmouth, so as has been said, your dad met up with someone from there. The British sailor in the photo would have been wearing a Vanguard cap tally if he was a member of the battleships ships company.

So he wasn't on the battleship..
  9. Thim, Ik spreek Nederlands beter dan ik het kan schrijven! :thumbup:

sadly I guess it may prove almost impossible to find the man in the photo - if we had a name we might have been in with a chance of locating him or his family.

10. Haha great. maar je schrijft ook foutloos! flawless!
    Yeah I already understood that would be impossible but anyway I got some realy interesting information here.
    Like what "Wreckerl" wrote he couldn't have been a member of the HMS vanguard because he has HMS Exellent on his cap.
    So he was just showing of to my dad and wishing he was a member.
    It will be such a interesting day for the old man tomorrow!
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  11. The sailor for Excellent would be well into his eighties now. He could still be with us. It is possible that (granny) was around at the same time but it is a big ask for him to remember a name.
  12. Yes that's right. my father (the guy on the right) is 83 now. But maybe (granny) recognizes the face?
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thim, it is possible that the man was on Vanguard, either on a loan (short term) posting, or as a new arrival and had not yet had the chance to put up a new cap tally.
  14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Even his own!!
  15. Ok. Then we will give him the benefit of the doubt. He was a new arrivel and he didn't have his new cap tally yet.
    He didn't lie!
  16. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I haven't the faintest idea who the guy might be. There were a lot of matelots around in those days.. :D Sorry
  17. What Granny said.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nowadays we both know each other. :winkrazz:
  19. Well yes I already understood that it would be almost impossible to find him. But anyway I'm a bit wiser now.
    And now I know what the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman was doing there in 1952
    So everybody thanks for the efforts
  20. Lads, is it possible that the mystery man's last sea draft was VANGUARD? It might be a point of conversation if someone was not quite so enamoured with his new stone frigate (Shore Establishment).
    • Like Like x 1