HMS trafalgar

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by scouse, Jun 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watched the clip onboard the Trafalgar on chn 5 Warship. They looked the business /proper matelots. A credit to the submariners B/Z
  2. Naturally :thumright:

3. Just a shame that the underwater shots were of a model!
  4. Thats cos they were scared of the jellyfish! :w00t:

I have to agree. The parts filmed on board Trafalgar brought some credit back to the RN.

5. Perhaps the producers of the programme should make a second series but on a submarine next time
  6. They did believe it was called perisher!
  7. I'd like to see another Submarine Documentary been trying to track down the two I know of, there was HMS Splendid in 1997/1999 I think and also I remember a docu called Submarine on UKTV a few years ago featuring HMS SuperB,
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of either of these?

8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I served on SuperB during the time of filming. It followed us leaving refit in Rosyth and through work up. It was filmed by a south west production company and was originally shown only in that area. It predominally followed the lifes of three guys from the Plymouth area, the POMA Phil "the doc", the POWTR and a killick dabber. The messes where sent tapes of the series where a good laugh was had by all, watching themselves on the screen. If I remember right they also filmed us during a hands to bathe in the Med, the last ever hands to bathe I've seen on boats, not that you'll ever get me doing that again. Shortly afterwards I read that great white sharks roam every ocean and appertally the med has the largest population. :nemo:

I think this was the production company
  9. Thanks mate I have dropped them an e-mail, see if I can get a copy of it, only saw the final two episodes of the series would love to see it all.

10. Tell me how you get on mate. I would like one myself
  11. I would like a copy too!
  12. Well I've emailed them to see what they can do so fingers crossed!
  13. I think the producers should be commended for taking trouble to explain to civvies how a boat works .
    WAFU`s could'nt catch the boat could they. :thumright:
  14. I couldn't help but notice that Traf had all her masts up so the helo could get a good fix on her before the the break contact manouver. The WAFU's appeared a tiny bit dischuffed then when Traf just disappeared. The CO made the point quite clearly that Traf was providing targeting services and that had she wanted to operate covertly then they wouldn't have a sniff.

The model they were using for the underwater Traf really was using those sort of revs in the exercise then she'd have been airborn alongside the angry palmtrees. That's a fearsome propellor she's got....very similar to the one swiftsure had and very very efficient.

I recognised the CHOPS (S)...Mac McBeath....or McDeath as he was known then. He still has his Hartlepool twang. The specs though Mac...we're all getting older I spose!

On Tireless one of the lads on mainframe sonar would say 'oi wot's this marking on my trace'...controller leans forward for a skeg and the 2026 operator would flip the back of the controllers chair forward and fire him into the 2020 passive operators lap. Then all the lads would pile in and your kidneys got a hammering.
    I was that controller and Mac was the seat flipper. Ouch ouch ouch.

This usually coincided with the CO walking into the Sound Room to ask the controller a question....'Ummmm where's the Controller guys'....'down on the deck where he's sposed to be...we'll tell him you called by'! Groan!!!!!
  15. Could drop you a MK 44 when the pingers have you clocked on the 195 transducer :thumright: :w00t:
  16. This all supposes that the helos detected Traf without knowing the boats PIM. In the real world; when unalerted...the submarine (any) wins hands down 99.999999999999999% of the time.

Have to show the civvies the other side though and plant in any potential reqruits the idea that sitting in one of those BIG gray things is safe when push comes to shove!
  17. Ref the SUPERB programme, it was filmed in 98 and followed the boat out of Rosyth, into work-up and runs ahsore in Den Helder and Gib (good runs were had by all especially the team of 50 heading to Amsters for the day) The production company was Two Four Productions based just outside Plymouth.
  18. my brother in law serves on hms trafalgar! :D
  19. Think that they should film a seried on the current Superb - that would be as amusing as any other Pussers documentary at the mement. The XO ranting etc and all those 'professional' submariners would help the taxpayers sleeping at night.
  20. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Aye Aye, a good run. Club X Den Helder. Remember Mr & Mrs Dutch couple in the field beside the tracks,,lol :sex: Didn't enjoy the trip back with the freshwater contaminated with diesel. Standfast you old salts, I don't want to hear any dits about you filling up the wifes diesel car by pi*sing in it after a patrol.