HMS Terror

Discussion in 'History' started by hobbit, May 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had a look at the HMS Terror section on the HMS Ganges site but before going into that I hear the Ganges site will close soon which will be a great loss, given its history , to those who experienced their introduction to the Royal Navy there . I am not one of them but evenso I understand the sigificence of Ganges to so many and in fact the RN . I hope the site can be retained privately by the current webmaster and creator as it is such a valuable asset to all concerned.
    Anyway, to Terror . Although not ship'scompany I spent a very pleasant period at the establishment in the '50s while the vessel I was attached to underwent a refit. The pleasures of the base and Singapore itself were many and varied . From the facilities of Terror to the stopping places en-route to the big city there was never a dull moment . Nee Soon, and that poor creature No Nose, to the questionable delights of Bugis Street the variety was endless.
    Terror itself provided all a matelot could want from the basic comfort of the blocks to the magnificent swimming pool and the playing fields, it was indeed a holiday type experience compared to some of the UK establishments . Alas , I understand Singas is no longer such an interesting place now it has been ' made over ' into a huge city of tall buildings not unlike the HK transformation from a character filled experience to another ' big city ' no doubt impersonal and without the many features provided by ' real people ' .
    I wish I'd taken more phots while there, what with the Union Jack Club and the Brit Club plus all the other sources of entertainment it was indeed ' a good run ashore '. Happy daze.

2. hello Hobbit, I was there in the early and mid 60's with Bulwark and then Fearless first commission. Spent time in Terror whilst in dry dock and we were in the old open blocks with the huge hurrican fans. You used to find all manner of beasties crawling around when the lights were switched on.
    Local stomping grounds Sembawang and Nee Soon, got a tattoo at Johnny Ghurka's by the army camp.
    Went to check things out a couple of years ago on the way to Bali and nothing is as it was :(
    Times change, and they say never go back to a place, best to live on memories :lol:

3. Thanks chaps, good to see you had a good run too . Cheers for the phots Nutty , great stuff with a lotta mems . Yes with old Sew Sew and the massage man , " I make you fit for double duty ", never to be forgotten times .After the refit we did our running up outside Singas and dropped the hook off Pulau Tiomen , not sure of the spelling . Played soccer with the locals , bare foot. Oh yes , many good times and with everything so cheap from the usual stuff to cars and petrol . A good feed in the old Stamford Cafe just across from the Brit Club , good clean meals then ten pintsa Tiger for five bucks , paradise,

:D

4. My first draft in '64, to Suara W/T, over the road from Terror main gate.
    18 months of heaven for a 17 year old.
    Being young and skin, I was the proverbial cherry boy but that didn't last long.
    The usual run ashore was the Armada club in Terror for some cheap scoops of Tiger then a fast black to Sembawang or Nee Soon or if it was a blank week then it would be a dockyard bus to the causeway and over to JB.
    On a Sunday it would be the Brit club in Singers for a afternoon sess and then on to Bugis street in the evening for big eats, beer and ladies. Soon learnt that the pretty ones were not in fact ladies but 'kyties'
    Tri-shaw racing was a good passtime, come out of the Brit club and hire two tri-shaws to go to Bugis street, sit the tri-shaw driver in the back, jump on the bike yourself and peddle like mad, race your oppo, looser buys the big eats.
    Happy daze indeed!

5. May not close yet, and Clive (the man) may yet be persuaded to change his mind.

:)

6. Lived and went to school there as a kid 61-63, stayed at the Aggie Weston on the way out..have some cool memories from there.

Great links Nutty...[​IMG]

7. Remember the monsters that lived in the monsoon ditches?
    Remember the Sikh coppers on the dkyd gate that used to eat the beetle nuts?
    Remember the flood lit footy matches?
    Remember the 'Talent' contests in the Armada club?
    Rember diving of the veranda into the swimming pool in the Brit Clu?
    Remember black Merc cabs racing from Sembwang into Singas?
    Remember a pint of Tiger for 55cents?

8. Affirmative to all, except the Brit Club diving - never enough Tiger to tempt me into that, though I did witness a few other brave bodies

Remember the Scalectrix car racing on the ground floor or basement was it ?

:)

9. Remember tot time when you got your tot in one glass and they chucked the water at you?
    Remember the excellent scran, salad bar, omelette bar, roast bar etc etc?
    Remember Peanuts in the Armada club?
    Remember perving the RAs wifes in the pool?
    Remember when the Mull of Kyntyre went to sea and we all legged it round the marriage patch?
    Remember the Cold Box in the dockyard?
    Remember getting an egg banjo eating half and saving the other half for breakfast?
    Remember the chokkies soft drinks on the flight deck chocolate milk etc?
    oh happy days

10. I remember living in Q's where there were no glass in the windows just like the flintstones, chasing snakes down the shower drains, snakes/lizards sunning themselves on the window sill, the torrent of water running through those fecking monsoon ditches after a monsoon..and pulling the tails off of chit chats...[​IMG]

Our Alma, took us to her village once, on the mainland, had a great time burning fake moolah and lighting off the firecrackers, oh and eating raw fish and rice yum yum....

Wish I had the chance to go there after I joined up, but was stuck on the East coast so no go...[​IMG]

11. Any of you blokes remember the Submarine Chief and POs mess at Rimau?
    We got fed up with being second class citizens in Terror so found an unused building at Rimau and had Cdr S/Ms permission to make it a mess.
    A Coxswain called Mike Kelleher was Pres of the mess and I was Vice Pres.
    Oh the graft, oh the corruption, oh the rum that was dispensed to dockyard mateys to get it going. But we didn`t let NAAFI in and ran our own bar.
    It was a great mess and visiting ships were sure of a warm welcome if guests of a member. I`ve got some great memories of that place.

12. You are so right mate, the perving was worth the Singapore ear.
    I remember when they opened the omlette bar.
    Remember the girls in the airconditioned barbers shop? I used to have a trim each time so I could keep going back. Smokes on a blank week were 7 diamonds, god they were disgusting. Happy happy days :thumright:

13. The perving I remember well but also whilst swimming in the pool Ldg Stoker " Banzai" from Intrepid Jumped from the diving board and landed on my back breaking his ankle, As he wasn't that popular I was feted a"Hero" by the oily contingent on board and it earned me many gulpers in the stoker mess,
    Now I,m older and my back is Fucked I wish I could claim compen!

14. I can remember going ashore straight after supper in Terror down the ville (Sembwang) and we met a taxi at the dockyard gate it was throwing it down with rain and the monsoon ditch was full. The taxi driver was obviously having trouble with his punter, a pissed matelot? who knows, anyway the cab door opened and out popped the fare at a great rate of knots ie he was pushed, and he, the fare, disappeared head first into a water swollen ditch he screamed help and we watched him disappeare into the culvet that the road went over.
    I often wonder if he ended up in the sea!!
    Same ditch few months earlier you could hear 'pssssst, pssssst wana buy a happy fag jack!! Chokky flogging spliffs!

15. I remember Mick Hoare, remember him Tick? doing some fancy dive of the board at Aggies pool and landing on me and doing his wrist in!!

16. Just to let your FAR EAST hands know, I have just got back from a Singapore, and can tel you that the Brit club has had a preservation order slapped on it by the government. They had intended to pull it down and converting it to a road junction. The Formula one final race next year (2008) will be run in singapore, and the course will take the cars passed the Brit Club.

Did anyone ever see anyone jump from the balcony into the pool or was it just an urban myth?

Spent 4 years on and off in Singas from 65 to 72. And since leaving the mob in 2000 have made an annual trip back there (Wifes family live there).

If you have time google SINGAPORE, you will all be amazed at how its changed.

17. Just to let your FAR EAST hands know, I have just got back from a Singapore, and can tel you that the Brit club has had a preservation order slapped on it by the government. They had intended to pull it down and converting it to a road junction. The Formula one final race next year (2008) will be run in singapore, and the course will take the cars passed the Brit Club.

Did anyone ever see anyone jump from the balcony into the pool or was it just an urban myth?

Spent 4 years on and off in Singas from 65 to 72. And since leaving the mob in 2000 have made an annual trip back there (Wifes family live there).

If you have time google SINGAPORE, you will all be amazed at how its changed.[/quote]

Good news the saving of the Brit Club , bet the UJC is gone though , TOMBOLA . Yes didn't see anyone do the Brit Club jump but rumours of death in attempted jumps were common in my time . Usually when there was a fleet in port the Tiger flowed and the troops got carried away literally quite often . Good times though and although Singas had to progress the old one circa 1950s was a great run ashore . Happy daze

:thumright:

18. Hobbit,

Please help, can you tell me were the UJC was.......... I have asked a number of folk, but they were either too pissed when they went, or they were taken by bus from the navy base.

Please help me, even if you can only remember a nearby building or half an address.

19. Oh dear , a hard one as I was there in '57 . Raffles Square , Change Ally . It wasn't far from the BC but sorry time has taken its toll and the exact position is now beyond me . I believe we walked there from the BC and I'm sure they were close to each other but I'll check elsewhere .