HMS Superb cap tally..

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by oasis6x, Oct 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just found one tonight while going through an old box of stuff ive amounted over the years. I went through a phase of collecting them, but cant remember where i got this from.

Could anyone off the super-b be able to explain why I have it? I dont think its one from the cruiser days, as it looks quite new. I just wondered if some had been made at some point.

2. You being an SA me thinks you may have just pocketed it straight from slops. Just a thought.

3. I think the point is that submariners' tallys just say HM SUBMARINES, rather than the name of the boat. Thus this is a bit of an enigma.

Am I correct 6x?

4. Yep, spot on. I can't remember why its specific to the boat, but I'd be keen to know if its anything special.

5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

It's not a submarine tally. Boats these days only have 'HM SUBMARINES' on serving JR's cap tallies. Try Wreckers answer.

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Bollocks to WreckerL's answer, looking at the site has just cost me money

7. I'm on commission janner!

8. I can recall a Chief writer who'd served on submarines mentioning that a group of guys from a boat he was on ordered some cap tallys with the boats name on for a laugh. Not sure what boat he was on though.

9. [QUOTE{Guzzler; ]I think the point is that submariners' tallys just say HM SUBMARINES, rather than the name of the boat. Thus this is a bit of an enigma.
    Am I correct ?

Not quite Guzzler ! I seen H.M.SUBMARINE ONYX. cap tallies knocking around about the time of her launch or commissioning at Birkenhead.
    Don't know how they would get on with H.M.SUBMARINE AGAMEMNON. though.

10. for a laugh?

Naye - Suchlike are dispensed 'for services rendered' by certain females deemed not worthy enough to deserve a set of Dolphins.

11. Ah yes, the set of dolphins presented to you personally by the Queen....................!

Allegedly.

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Solid gold with rubies for eyes

Allegedly