Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Sultan to be closed, HMNB Devonport to be Amphib super-centre

Bad CO

Admin
The family jewels are certainly vanishing at a rate of knots. Having said that, centralisation has got to be the way forward in terms of efficiency.

As a guz resident I, for one, welcome our new Royal Marine overlords ....

@Tomahawk re: "HMS Sultan to be closed"

Errmm, not entirely true. So in the earthy vernacular of the lower deck, Missy: <<Borrocks!>>

Being a potential RN Officer I'd suggest that you try much harder, please - by reading and digesting the pdf which you so blithely quoted - before making such an announcement typical of an OD's messdeck buzz factory.

Going deep...

Bob L

PS BTW You are not alone, those scare-monglers over at ARRSE are posting similar Horlicks but I'd hoped for better here at RR.

Tomahawk

Lantern Swinger
According to the PDF - Submarine Engineering Training, Mechanical Engineering Training and AIB are all moving. Going off the RN website - only the RN Air Engineering and Survival School remains ... I can't see them keeping the base open solely for that. Especially when Network Rail and EDF Energy have stakes there.

Also scrap the potential :)

According to the PDF - Submarine Engineering Training, Mechanical Engineering Training and AIB are all moving. Going off the RN website - only the RN Air Engineering and Survival School remains ... I can't see them keeping the base open solely for that. Especially when Network Rail and EDF Energy have stakes there.

I can because, as announced, HMS SULTAN will have a much reduced training role thereby allowing the release of several acres for "other purposes" eg freeing land for those much-vaunted civilian housing needs.

Also scrap the potential. Accepted marm - But IMO that makes it even worse when a serving Officer is caught out headlining duff gen :roll:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I see Fort Blockhouse will go, that's a prime piece of real estate worth a few bob if sold correctly.

On another note, Nelson wardroom to go and move into HMNB. I wondered what they'd do with the Small Ships Canteen on North Corner, now I know ;)

The buzz from @Supermatelot of ARRSE is that

<<...HMS Temeraire , home of RN gym queens is also closing...>>

Not on the pdf but spread the good news anyway :Evil:

D

Deleted 493

Also scrap the potential :)

Network Rail and EDF will be gone soon anyway.

Making me wonder exactly where in HMS Collingwood there is sufficient room to fit all the heavy machinery in Watt Hangar, the two gash MT30s and the Spey, the contents of Faraday Block and Allied Trades and Ship Husbandry and the Simulators.

Oh, hang on. Buzzing Hub!

It's not been very well thought about has it? I mean, are they really going to level the site and build houses in and amongst two Palmerston Forts and level the listed Wardroom and build on the polo field? I expect Gosport is gonna love losing it's annual chavathon show every June.

levers

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
The 'lets close SULTAN' routine has been going on now for about 15 years - every time it seems to get filed in the 'oh FFS this is really hard lets not bother' file.

I know there is some 'nothing going to be left' hyperbole, but its worth noting that over 90% of the existing estate is staying open - thats roughly 1000 sites in the UK...

Seadog

War Hero
On another note, Nelson wardroom to go and move into HMNB.

There seems to be a lot of money being spent on Nelson Wardroom for a place about to go. The last Pres did caution members to the effect; it ain't over until the fat lady sings.

The lady appears to have a lot of cake to get through before she even clears her throat.

slim

War Hero
There seems to be a lot of money being spent on Nelson Wardroom for a place about to go. The last Pres did caution members to the effect; it ain't over until the fat lady sings.

The lady appears to have a lot of cake to get through before she even clears her throat.

They spent an awful lot of money at Portland Seadog and then closed it shortly after.
Seems to be a new Navy Tradition

Sparkplug

Lantern Swinger

Same with RMB Chivenor - serious investment there in the last few years.

Sparkplug

Lantern Swinger
Also - where will extra bootnecks go at Devonport, given that part of the base has been handed to the city, and RMB Stonehouse and the Royal Citadel are also closing....?

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Gentlemen, chill your boots. The last time I was here at SULTAN when serving I was on the mess committee and we got as far as arranging the transfer of the Mess Silver to St Athan. Quietly confident that we can all see out our careers here.

A couple of thousand new homes, with no corresponding infra uplift and the A32 to contend ever morning and evening. Where are all the new primary schools going to go?

Rather closer to home I see Brecon Barracks is going to be shut. OK , close the main income provider of one of the larger towns in one of the most marginal Tory constituencies in the country. Really??????

The great shame is that now, under the axe, no money will be spent on infra. It's bloody freezing here today..... :eek:

Seadog

War Hero
They spent an awful lot of money at Portland Seadog and then closed it shortly after.
Seems to be a new Navy Tradition

And Cochrane, lovely new WO&SR Mess ( partially from Mess funds IIRC) and ( then) FOSNI / MHQ Pitreavie hoovered up money then shut (90s).

Off the top of my head I can't say if the work in Nelson Wardroom is costing public money or it's from Mess funds.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Also - where will extra bootnecks go at Devonport, given that part of the base has been handed to the city, and RMB Stonehouse and the Royal Citadel are also closing....?
Raleigh will have extra room when the supply school moves to Worthy Down, even more room when the submarine school goes North.

None of this is happening overnight!

Ballistic

War Hero

HMS Ocean, accommodation ship - remember where you heard it made up first ... ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Hms sultan start dates 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 3
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
R Phase 2 training at HMS Sultan Joining the Royal Navy 0
soleil FB: HMS Sultan: "It's An Air Engineering First For Accelerated Apprentices" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil Navy News (FB): HMS Sultan - Charity Moustache Growing Event Bases / Shore Est 7
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS SULTAN CLOSURE Bases / Shore Est 0
Z Hms sultan and august break Joining the Royal Navy 5
P HMS Sultan bike storage Health & Fitness 0
S HMS Sultan Phase 2 - ETME Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
J HMS Sultan Holiday? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
L HMS Sultan AET Training/ Leading Hand Fast Track Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
Walter_white HMS SULTAN - Hours and weekends Joining the Royal Navy 23
Walter_white Between HMS Raleigh and HMS Sultan- what happens? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 55
S Memories of HMS Sultan Killicks course 1969 Bases / Shore Est 9
S HMS Sultan phase 2 training Miscellaneous 9
cheesybeans17 Learning to drive at HMS Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Phase 2 passing out HMS Sultan. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Y HMS Sultan Easter Holiday? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
77DEEPS77 Starting in JUNE, anyone? HMS sultan RFA 20
2LI Phase two at HMS Sultan The Quarterdeck 4
J Accommodation near to HMS Sultan. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B HMS Sultan RFA 6
J Phase 2 marine engineer HMS Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
Naval_Gazer Wasp crash lands outside HMS Sultan The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil Pompey News: "End Of An Era As Last Surviving Wren Leaves HMS Sultan Naval Branch" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil HMS Sultan Summer Show 2013 - Saturday/Sunday 15th/16th June 2013 Bases / Shore Est 13
soleil HMS Sultan - Army/Navy Combined Training Marine Engineering Course Bases / Shore Est 5
J Selection Interview questions/HMS Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil "Famous Yachtswoman Honorary Commander Dee Caffari Inspects HMS Sultan Sailors" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil HMS Sultan Summer Show 2012 - 16th/17th June 2012 Bases / Shore Est 4
S HMS Sultan Phase II Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R HMS Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
I HMS Sultan course syllabus - can old ones be found? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
C Hms Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil N. News: HMS Sultan Pays Homage To The Royal Naval Division History 0
soleil P. News: "Huge Crowds For HMS Sultan's Firework Spectacular" Bases / Shore Est 2
R HMS Sultan ETME Course Start Dates? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil Pompey News: "Tory MP's Plea To Keep HMS Sultan In Gosport" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil HMS Sultan - Summer Show - 19th/20th June 2010 Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil Pompey News: "New Man In Charge At HMS Sultan" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Chip in to H4H at RN Chef's Fish & Chip shop near HMS Sultan Bases / Shore Est 0
Jen_M HMS Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
soleil HMS Sultan personnel practice charity run in Spinnaker Tower Charity 0
S Phase 2 @ HMS Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 78
D Advice On Hms Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil HMS Sultan: Engineering Courses praised by professional body Bases / Shore Est 2
BloodyPirate! Hms Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
BloodyPirate! xmas Hols at HMS Raleigh/Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2