HMS Sultan Phase 2 - ETME

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Cheers levers

I'll continue to update this as I finish the final weeks, I'm also up for the fast track board, if anyones interested in that I'll add that to it at some point.
Good work.

In fact, if you have the time, keep updating the board on your journey please.

I would also be interested in any material differences and shortcomings (and I know there are many) between what is delivered at DSMarE and the front end at work.

If you want to touch base with me via a PM please do. Feedback is very valuable, and sometimes s3018s are not enough.

levers

Excellent account, My lad is currently at Sultan on an ME course. Getting info off him is like pulling teeth. However he seams to be enjoying it and getting stuck in. He to is hoping to make the grade for fast track.

SOB94

Lantern Swinger
Excellent account, My lad is currently at Sultan on an ME course. Getting info off him is like pulling teeth. However he seams to be enjoying it and getting stuck in. He to is hoping to make the grade for fast track.
I'm the same with my parents funnily enough, I'm guessing he's still in the academic phase, how long has he been here?

Also I have updated with week 27 ( HMS Bristol and also what to expect with draft at the end of the course (in basic points).

Last edited:
Cheers, its a really good account of what happens. My lad is going into week 10. So far so good, passed all his exams so far and got a B+ at Tal ya bont. He is hoping to get onto the fast track.. What are the requirements for him to get onto this.

Good luck with the rest of the course.

SOB94

Lantern Swinger
Cheers, its a really good account of what happens. My lad is going into week 10. So far so good, passed all his exams so far and got a B+ at Tal ya bont. He is hoping to get onto the fast track.. What are the requirements for him to get onto this.

Good luck with the rest of the course.
No worries, I started this as there wasnt much information on the ME course, I'm glad its helping people.

The criteria for fast track is
- 75% or above average across all exams
- No exam failures
- A clean record (No MAA's or NGT warnings)
- B+ at Talybont does help
- A good covering letter detailing why you should be chosen and what experience you have
- If chosen pass the board.

That's about it, any other questions feel free to drop me a message and good luck to your son.

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
For fast track, you will also have to show some modicum of 'potential'.

The navy is big on leadership and management. As SOB says, you have to fulfil the academic and technical criteria, but if you have zero potatoes in the ability to take that forward in a mature sense toward having the ambition to lead people (because that is what we want) you'll struggle to impress or develop.

This doesn't mean you have to be the gobshite amongst the pack. It means that you have to have the situational awareness to 'do the right thing' with the right attitude to take charge and make the command's objectives happen, moreoften than not without question.

You can be clever, but if you have no leadership and direction, you have stupidity. Look at UK Parliament for a great example of this.

And also it's handy not drip like a septic arse 24/7, when in fact your job and your lot is significantly better than your civvy compatriots.

levers