HMS Sultan Phase 2 - ETME

SOB94

Lantern Swinger
I'm currently going into week 19 at Sultan and thought this might clear up a few questions people may have about the course.

Basic points:

-There is alot more freedom than at Raleigh but it has to be earned, you'll have a 1's inspection in the first week, if you pass you will be allowed cinderella leave (until 2359). I wouldnt recommend going out to Portsmouth and getting drunk, one person I know was discharged because of it. In the second week you'll have a kit muster to get your ID card back and for over 18's you'll be granted leave until 0700 the next morning and also weekenders.

-You'll have 2 phys sessions a week, a PT session, where you'll do circuits, make sure kit and attitude is spot on and the PTs won't beast you, they're more chilled than basic unless you give them a reason not to be. The other session is Pdev which is 2 hours Wednesday afternoon in a sport you can choose. (football, hockey, cricket etc)

- Rounds are still conducted morning and evening, for the first week you'll stand evening rounds in 3's after that only one person needs to be there to report the block. Accommodation needs to be in a decent state everyday as you won't want remedials. The last Wednesday of the month is DTO's rounds where you will need to present the block to clean ship standard and beds need to be made, crease down the middle of the sheet, pillow and duvet cover and lined up down the bed.

- Drill is in the form of divisions every Tuesday morning, which is nowhere near as drawn out as Raleigh as long as you get the March past right.

- As for pass/fail, the whole course is. If you sack it off and fail exams, you'll pick up warnings, potentially get backclassed or even discharged. All the instructors and staff are more chilled out as they know you've been through basic, their job is now to mould you into an engineer. The course is as easy or as hard as you make it.

- You'll also have duties, usually once a month and also sultans shows. It's up to you to find out when you're duty and sign for it. It is also your responsibility to turn up for dentist and medbay appointments, failure to turn up will result in an MAA.

Week 1: Introduction to Sultan

Death by powerpoint for the first few days, with 5pm finishes thrown in for good measure. On one of the days, you'll go for a walk in the countryside with your divisional instructor and divisional officer, as a chance for you to get to know them and vice versa. The rest is all briefs and another RNFT.

Week 2, 3 and 4: Functional Skills

You will be required to complete functional skills if you haven't got one of the certificates that exempts you from having to take the course. The 3 skills are English, maths and ICT. There is also an exam to take on English and maths for those who are going to be exempt, if you pass you'll be thinned out for the subjects you have already passed (1 week each subject). You'll also have 2 phys sessions a week, PT is usually a circuit and you'll have personal development every Wednesday.

Weeks 5 and 6: Mechanical Craft

Your first hands on work, in mechanical craft you'll be required to make a G clamp as your assessed piece, you'll also make a centre finder and tap wrench as a skill build. Take your time on these and don't blag it as you do get scored on flatness roundness and correct sizing.

Week 7: Basic Systems and Diesel Engines

Pretty much standard week for the next 9 weeks bar Talybont. Classroom based learning health and safety for the first 2 days and then taking the exam on the Wednesday, the pass mark is 70%. After the health and safety exam you will learn about basic systems and diesel engines, the exam for this is after Talybont, it's recommended that you take your revision and do some in your free time, exam failures bring warnings.

Week 8: Tal-y-bont

One of the best weeks you'll have at sultan, first day you'll have a 4 hour bus journey, perfect time to get your head down. When you arrive you get your bergen and muster, here you'll get put into groups for the week, after this you'll huff it 3 miles to the camp, when you arrive you'll pitch your tent and go through briefs. Over the course of the next few days you'll participate in leadership tasks, consisting of you taking charge, making and executing your plan to achieve a task, you'll get a day of adventure training (I had indoor rock climbing and abseiling, cracking time all whilst getting paid.) and also a walk around the local area, usually up one of the surrounding hills, all of your team will have to navigate the route. You'll return home on the Friday leaving the rat packs behind.

Week 9: Electrical Theory

Back to the classroom, this is where you'll have to graft for the next 7 weeks as it'll be one exam a week whilst learning the next subject. Off to Faraday to learn electrical theory, you'll get a massive docket with all the information you need to pass the exam but you'll have to revise as only certain parts will be in the exam. On the Wednesday you'll take your basic systems and diesel engine exam, the pass mark for this and subsequent exams bar EL safety is 60%

Week 10: Electrical Safety and Gas Turbines

As in the title you'll take EL safety and sit the exam on the Wednesday, as long as you pay attention and revise its pretty straightforward, no one in my class got below 80%. You'll then learn gas turbines, propulsion and gearboxes.

Week 11: Gas Turbines continued

As its a massive subject, you'll spend a week and a half on it covering everything to do with gas turbines, gearboxes, shaftlines and propulsion. Take notes as there are no handouts in this class, again pay attention and write questions out on the stuff they tell you to write down (you've been told to write it down for a reason).

Week 12: Auxiliaries

You'll learn all about HP air, sewage treatment, fresh water systems etc. Not much else to say here in honesty.

Week 13 and 14: Power and Distribution

A long and draining subject, the exam isn't too bad if you've revised for it (96% for me) consists of possibly 4 diagrams that need to be labeled which make up half of the marks.

Week 15: Refrigeration

Almost at the end of the academic phase, this is probably the hardest exam because of the way the questions are worded, again you'll have to write your own questions on the important information you're told to write down.

Week 16: GPTME

After taking the exam on the Tuesday, you'll be briefed on general purpose testing and measuring equipment, you'll then learn to use all of the electrical testing equipment and at the end of the week given a task and examined on how you do (you'll get prompted if you can't remember).

Week 17: Controls and Diagnostics

No more exams though you'll still need to pay attention, controls systems will be explained with help from a handout, environmental compliance and umms end the week.

Week 18: Basic Sea Survival Course

My favourite week so far, you'll undertake CBRN (gas masks, we didn't get gassed), firefighting in the units where you'll get to be the firefighter or water wall and a team leader wearing breathing apparatus, its a serious environment as there is fire involved but you'll have fun. You'll also go back into the DRIU and get a much longer and more involved excersise than Raleigh, using Weder pumps and portable educators and utilising the whole of the unit (3 decks). You'll also take sea survival, which includes jumping off a platform into the sea and swimming to a life raft.

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
All would-be ET(ME)s take note.

SOB94s account of life in Phase 2 at the Defence School of Marine Engineering is as correct and concise as you can get. Everything is there. Ignore it and think you can wing it, and you'll be a civvy in no time. Think you can fight the system and wring out a well-established, organised regime and you'll be reaching for your lifejacket, which will be punctured with more holes than your system-fighting lungs can breathe into it.

One last thing. Keep up the standards, regardless of SOB94s assurances it is slightly less rigid. If you see a senior rate approaching when you are squadded up and moving through the establishment, sharpen it up, or you'll be yelled at. Try not to spend too much time ******* about on your smartphone when you could be learning your job (you are being paid for this … it is basically full time school on full time pay, so think on) and remember you are still right at the bottom of the pile, so expect to be treat with the disdain and contempt you too will dish out when you return later in your career with dits and medals on killicks course. If people treat you like a ******, it's because to them you are. It's a temporary situation until the next set of ******* arrive. Dry your eyes, do some press-ups, move on.

You are there because the Royal Navy needs engineers, and we need ones we can rely on and ones who can do the job, which is why you spend so much time being bored shitless by electrical theory and the workings of a diesel engine. Out there is a whole world of expensive technology which, if you aren't paying attention, will either kill you or will break and cost us taxpayers a lot of moolah to fix. Take the advert about fixing things at face value and treasure your knowledge and skills, because before long, your civvy mates will seem like Joey Essex compared with what you know about the innards of a gas turbine or what the **** Ohm's Law actually means.

And don't give me the chance to pick you up for a haircut, shit kit or gash marching at Sultan. I entered Sultan as a JMEM(M)2 in July 1979 and am still on campus (albeit much further up the ladder), so I know every trick.

levers

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
@Levers_Aligned Seeing Wafu's on your hallowed ground must send you into a flat spin :D
Hah. Lodger unit, and no more.

They occupy Newcomen (my naval engineering pupal egg-case) and what they call 'Cockerill Hangar' which was where I learned how to shape metal.

The woo presence is seemingly to simply to maintain Newcomen Hangar as a repository for scrap aircraft for the purpose of misty-eyed ex-woos to fawn over. If they had any conkers about them, the FAA would have acquired Merlins and Wildcats by now and be teaching grubbers and sparkies about the modern FAA. It's a shame, because at heart, we are all engineers.

levers

Hah. Lodger unit, and no more.

They occupy Newcomen (my naval engineering pupal egg-case) and what they call 'Cockerill Hangar' which was where I learned how to shape metal.

The woo presence is seemingly to simply to maintain Newcomen Hangar as a repository for scrap aircraft for the purpose of misty-eyed ex-woos to fawn over. If they had any conkers about them, the FAA would have acquired Merlins and Wildcats by now and be teaching grubbers and sparkies about the modern FAA. It's a shame, because at heart, we are all engineers.

levers
No point teaching how to fix them at Sultan, My Killick's course was 90% Seaking and I went onto work on Canberras then Harriers (And it was at Daedalus)