HMS Saracen

Discussion in 'History' started by Philafghan1878, Mar 21, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. I am looking for any information on Stoker Petty Officer Thomas Herbert Barber. He was aboard HMS Saracen when she was scuttled on 14.8.1943, but later lost his life on 28.1.1944. Any info on how he lost his life and any other info would be gratfully appreciated. Regards Phil

2. Hello,

I am a researcher into World War 2 in Italy and have obtained information about the death of Thomas Barber from the National Archives in London. (File ADM 358/2124) He was on a POW train heading for Germany together with other men from Saracen - Len Roberts, George Freer, Arthur Pinnell and Arthur Melling - when the train was bombed by the American Air force as it crossed a Bridge at Allerona, nera Orvieto in Italy. Please go to website http://bombedpowtrain.weebly.com for more details, about thie bombing, or buy the book about Saracen by Janet Kinrade Dethick and Anne M. Corke entitled Twixt the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea available on line from http://lulu.com.

Regards,

p-247

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

4. Hi P-247

Thank you so much for your swift and informative reply. I can now complete my research into Barbers medal group.

Once again thank you very much indeed.

Regards
    philafghan1878

5. Hello Phil,

So glad I could help. What exactly are you researching regarding Barber's medal group?

Regards,
    p-247

6. Hi. I was lucky enough to purchase his medals along with the all important casualty slip.

7. Hello Phil,

I don't think you can send private messages on this site but if you go to my website bombedpowtrain.weebly.com and fill in the Contact Form I will let you have a copy of the important material on Barber from the National Archives.

Regards

p-247