HMS Royal Oak court martial

Discussion in 'History' started by seafarer1939, Jul 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know of the court martial re.the Royal Oak in Gib 1928.It made headlines around the world where the Captain and Commander were reprimanded and the Admiral was placed on the retired list.
    It seems the Admiral made a remark that he did not like the ships band!
    All hell broke loose after that and ended as above.
    I can't believe just one remark could cause world headlines to such a degree,there was more to this but what was it?if you can.Cheers

2. Here yer go Seafarer just grunters throwing their toys out of their prams before havinga ego fights in the Med Fleet of the 20's. All Edwardian etiquette etc. Hand bags at dawn.

Royal Oak

Nutty

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

When I was growing up (if I ever did) during the war the long-suffering (I should think) Mrs Collard used to come round collecting money for savings stamps. A pleasant woman, goodness knows how she put up with her husband. She and 'Sammy' Collard lived about a quarter of a mile up the A3 from my home and latched onto the idea that I was going into the RN. I remember at age about 24 and a Lt he still used to lean out of his car and roar at me 'When are you going to Dartmouth m'boy?' He never had the patience to wait for an answer which saved me having to think up a polite one! Like all good Gunnery Officers he was deaf as a post anyway.

When he left the sea he sent for an architect (Ernest Emerson, father of one of my godmothers). Emerson duly knocked on Collard's door. 'Want a house built, like a ship!' Emerson asked if the admiral could explain that. 'Want a house built, like a ship, with a forecastle and a quarterdeck of course!' Emerson: 'What you need, sir, is a jobbing builder', turned on his heel and walked away.

At the R Oak Court Martial it was said that one of the lawyers asked 'Is it true, sir, that you called the bandmaster a [email protected]?' 'Yes it is, and what I want to know is, who called the [email protected] a bandmaster?'

Collard had already had one mutiny under his belt - as a Lt he had the duty watch turned out in RNB in Portsmouth for whatever. In order to tell them what was wanted he gave the order (perfectly good drill book order) 'Front rank, On the knee!' thus ordering the front rank down so that the rear rank could better take in what was to be said. Unfortunately the watch included stokers who were not up with this and thought they were being treated less than courteously. Result a mutiny. Other result, corrugated iron sheets attached to the RNB railings on Queen St so that the general populace wouldn't be treated to another circus like that. These plates only came down fairly recently. Bet most Pomponian passers-by didn't know how they got there.

4. HMS Royal Oak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Royal_Oak_(08)

5. PMSL :toothy7:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst in the Volunteer Band on Illustrious the RMBS bandmaster(s) were excellent. If however, a grumpy Admiral had wanted to moan that the band sounded crap, I would have happily confessed to my making it sound that way, and thanked him for inviting me to his CTP. Burp. :thumright:

7. For anyone with a deeper interest or easy access, there is a file at the National Archive at Kew under reference ADM 156/66 entitled "Court of Enquiry into incident involving Rear Admiral Collard, Captain KGB Dewar RN and others, HMS ROYAL OAK 1928."

8. thanks for the replies and links,never heard of it during my ten years in the Andrew,I guess some things are best covered up.

9. Seafarer, if you can find it, i can recommend the book by Gerald Snyder, The Royal Oak Disaster, an interesting read.