Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS RESOLUTION PORT 1969 - 72

Straight from the Garelochhead one Sunday dinner on Builder's trials, John. Asked the hippies what the big occasion for the protest was, and was told it was the 22nd anniversary of the first dropping of a nuclear bomb on mankind. Up goes the shout "Happy Hiroshima, Lads": for some reason, this seemed to upset the hippies, who got quite irate until we starting throwing them in the Loch, then they went back to more peaceful protest. Only people who were more pissed off were the Bobysnatchers, like you said - they loved us in foulies, beads and bunches of flowers. Remember Scouse Roberts, who was asked what boat he was from ? "THERMOPYLAE - I THINK". Don't have dinner time seshes like that in Civvy Street - alas!

lsadirty said:
Straight from the Garelochhead one Sunday dinner on Builder's trials, John. Asked the hippies what the big occasion for the protest was, and was told it was the 22nd anniversary of the first dropping of a nuclear bomb on mankind. Up goes the shout "Happy Hiroshima, Lads": for some reason, this seemed to upset the hippies, who got quite irate until we starting throwing them in the Loch, then they went back to more peaceful protest. Only people who were more pissed off were the Bobysnatchers, like you said - they loved us in foulies, beads and bunches of flowers. Remember Scouse Roberts, who was asked what boat he was from ? "THERMOPYLAE - I THINK". Don't have dinner time seshes like that in Civvy Street - alas!
Remember it so well ,thats why i say we had a great crew some right old runs ashore.About the same time on a run ashore in the Burgh,i picks up a nice bit of skirt in the Imps,gets all night in,boat was slipping at 0730.I comes to at 0700 in the arms of this beauty F**cking hell ,jumps into me steaming bats gets a fast black down to the base.When i arrive at the end of the jetty, boats ready to slip crane ready to take away the gangway .Henry the skipper arrives to be piped onboard,i,m making me way along behind him taking cover behind anything i can,casing party are pissing themselves,waits till Henry goes below and then i nips over and onboard got a right F**cking off TonySmith .Happy Days.I Said Sippers Not F**cking Gulpers.

Remember that there were a lot of ex-diesel submarineriners who didn't want to be part of the initial start up of "Bomber Command," even in Vickers: one couldn't get a compassionate discharge as his mum's sole means of support, hadn't served long enough to go D by P, so applied to be classed as a conscientious objector. Was gone by lunch time the same day, down to Blockhouse, and a civvy before stand easy the next morning. Didn't make the papers, but it was "negative publicity", so nobody but the few in Barrow ever heard about it. At least he missed the first boring patrol...............

lsadirty said:
Remember that there were a lot of ex-diesel submarineriners who didn't want to be part of the initial start up of "Bomber Command," even in Vickers: one couldn't get a compassionate discharge as his mum's sole means of support, hadn't served long enough to go D by P, so applied to be classed as a conscientious objector. Was gone by lunch time the same day, down to Blockhouse, and a civvy before stand easy the next morning. Didn't make the papers, but it was "negative publicity", so nobody but the few in Barrow ever heard about it. At least he missed the first boring patrol...............
Cant,t remember that lads name but i used to go ashore with him when we was in Barrow,all of a sudden he was linked up with these contious objectors who told him excactly wot to do .He used to sit down drawing anti nuclear things until he got discharged looking back and even then i thought he was a tosser, sorry about misspellings but i,ve enjoyed 6 tots of pussers and afew pints. I,m turning in.

Jayne Mansfield, and I'm 6 pints of bitter and a 2 litre bottle of cider behind you. (Took me 10 minutes to edit this post to read proper English)

lsadirty said:
Jayne Mansfield, and I'm 6 pints of bitter and a 2 litre bottle of cider behind you. (Took me 10 minutes to edit this post to read proper English)
Nice one Jan,it,s bad enough trying to use this animal sober let alone after a few wets.We had some great times in Barrow ,the Railway club, Magic Stick,99 Club and many more watering holes, remember one of the lads was knocking off the resident singer of the 99club . Happy days !!

Remember the Railway Club very well: you could get digs in there at the weekend if you were prepared to screw both mother and daugher. Worst part of it was the meat raffle on a Sunday - none of us used to win it, and if the lads in ADEB got back late, they had steak & kidney pies for Sunday lunch, because some British Railways fireman had won the second joint in the raffle. Only place where a BR driver cooked the Sunday morning fry up, because the chef was turned in, screwing one of F troop !! And it was always the best breakfast of the week . Happy days !!

lsadirty said:
Remember the Railway Club very well: you could get digs in there at the weekend if you were prepared to screw both mother and daugher. Worst part of it was the meat raffle on a Sunday - none of us used to win it, and if the lads in ADEB got back late, they had steak & kidney pies for Sunday lunch, because some British Railways fireman had won the second joint in the raffle. Only place where a BR driver cooked the Sunday morning fry up, because the chef was turned in, screwing one of F troop !! And it was always the best breakfast of the week . Happy days !!
Remember it all too well ,some of it hazey(put that down to the grog ,also the Duke Of Edingburgh where on disco nights and saturday dinners you could purchase a variety of happy pills) I know cause i got dropped in the shit by Jayne Mansfield,got back down to the mansion and half the drug squad in Barrow was waiting for us.

ettridge said:
lsadirty said:
Remember it all too well ,some of it hazey(put that down to the grog ,also the Duke Of Edingburgh where on disco nights and saturday dinners you could purchase a variety of happy pills) I know cause i got dropped in the shit by Jayne Mansfield,got back down to the mansion and half the drug squad in Barrow was waiting for us.
Anyone remember when a sunday rag photographer joined us at sea and we appeared in a sunday supplement. Anybody have a idea which one? Up Spirits!!!!

May have been the Torygraph, but I think it was the Cardboard crew they went with: remember Ken Frewer driving in his chammy leather gloves. Remember after we did the first firing at the Cape, Skipper stood there ready to welcome all the media, but they were more interested in the Bagpiper Jock Cairns, in all his Royal Scots Greys regalia. (Got a bollocking for trying to ditch the gash from the after gangway while all this was happening - which certainly didn't appear on TV!.

lsadirty said:
May have been the Torygraph, but I think it was the Cardboard crew they went with: remember Ken Frewer driving in his chammy leather gloves. Remember after we did the first firing at the Cape, Skipper stood there ready to welcome all the media, but they were more interested in the Bagpiper Jock Cairns, in all his Royal Scots Greys regalia. (Got a bollocking for trying to ditch the gash from the after gangway while all this was happening - which certainly didn't appear on T.
I got 7 F***ing days for wearing dodgy odd socks cause i was trot sentry, when all the top brass came onboard .Remember Jock Cairns wot about when he used to practice up for,d wot a f***ing din ,mind you he dipped in ashore out there

Beleive they sent a tape of him playing the pigskin pianos over the 185 to JASS at Teddington: hope they were as confused as the Ivans who were doubtlessly following us !! And Mad Mike used to get him to play most evenings before he ate his supper - no wonder he was such a grumpy sod.during the first............

lsadirty said:
Beleive they sent a tape of him playing the pigskin pianos over the 185 to JASS at Teddington: hope they were as confused as the Ivans who were doubtlessly following us !! And Mad Mike used to get him to play most evenings before he ate his supper - no wonder he was such a grumpy sod.during the first............
Remember first run ashore in Charlestown ,we got ferried into town by buses ,i think there was an almighty electric storm going on(we were shitting bricks anyway after loads of jugs of the local beer gets fast blacks back to the naval base .On arriving through the gates decides to take a short cut across this long grass to where we were berthed,gets onboard into our pits. Next day goes past where we trudged through the night before to be greeted by signs bearing the words DANGER KEEP CLEAR SNAKES AND ALLIGATORS!!!! CAN,T TOUCH ME I,M TOO GREEN TO BURN.

Remember the Elmer liaison officer warning us about allycrocosaurusthingys sunning themselves on the after casing and sea snakes crashing out in the fin at POMFLANT in Charleston: I would only go on the after casing to do colours/sunset for half a tot MINIMUM !! Nearly died laughing at the PX in the base when they called "Happy Hour" - the front of the queue was all Jack - on being asked how many glasses we wanted with each pitcher, the reply was a disdainful snort, up pitcher and away. Bet their welfare fund took a right battering that month.........Happy days !!

lsadirty said:
Remember the Elmer liaison officer warning us about allycrocosaurusthingys sunning themselves on the after casing and sea snakes crashing out in the fin at POMFLANT in Charleston: I would only go on the after casing to do colours/sunset for half a tot MINIMUM !! Nearly died laughing at the PX in the base when they called "Happy Hour" - the front of the queue was all Jack - on being asked how many glasses we wanted with each pitcher, the reply was a disdainful snort, up pitcher and away. Bet their welfare fund took a right battering that month.........Happy days !!
Bloody hell Jan yeh i remember. A little dit for ya ,when ashore in Cocoa Beach remember the little picture house where we went to watch some bluey,s .After acouple of jugs one dinner a few of us decided to take in a blue movie at the afternoon matinee,gets ourselves settled down ,lights go down low ,movie starts running after about ten minuets a loud crunching noise descends from the back row we all shouts .F***ing be quiet at the back.A voice pipes up Alright lads ,we all turned round and there was Tony Smith yomping a f***ing big bag of fries.

Latest Threads