HMS Raleigh

Discussion in 'RFA' started by BigDaddyWills, Jul 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick one boys!!

Hopefully All being well with my application, i was just wondering because i live in plymouth, will i be able to go home every night when at Raleigh or do you have to stay there during the week and go home at weekends??! I've had mixed answers haha! Thanks

2. i very much doubt it mate, the whole point of basic training is to take you out of your comfort zone and mould you into a sailor. cant do that whilst your all warm and cosey sat in front if the fire now can we!Best of luck

3. Haha very true mate!! Just trying to piece together all the information because there isnt a great deal out there!! Thanks for the reply tho

4. Are you definitely joining the RFA and not RN? Cause the rules are different i think. Hopefully someone will come along soon to give you a definitive answer :)

5. I'm joining the RFA as a SG2 hopefully haha!! If you find him/ her send them my way :)

6. As an RFA SG2 you can go home every night if you want, you will be allocated accomodation... Up to you if u use it or not

The 2 Plymouth or Torpoint based ratings i have come acroos remained onboard for a lot of the course... Revision, team bonding, too lazy to go home

*delete as applicable

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  7. Thanks for getting back to me!! I was thinking of doing the same regarding going home at weekends!! Whats the training like?! I cant wait to get stuck in...hopefully haha

8. Evening all, Does anyone on here know if you can keep your car at Raleigh? I live in cornwall and was thinking i'd keep it there to pop home on the odd weekend when i start in September..

9. Yeah you can, you need to speak to main gate on arrival to get pass for Spickernel Car Park, its across the road from Raleigh

• Like Like x 1
  10. BDM

BDM Midshipman

i know one of my letters put it quite firmly to not take a car to basic

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. BDM, are you joining the Royal Navy or RFA?

just wondered as some of us have recently attended the RFA training and were allowed to take cars

12. BDM

BDM Midshipman

Ive applied for RN, im just going off what a letter said not actually been yet ...but hopefully soon ....i just seen raleigh not RFA :thumright:

13. Does anyone know when joining raleigh on the 1st day what time you have to be there by I have been told to join on the 21st September but no idea anymore infomation.

14. Jones1987, I have heard that around 1/2 weeks before we start, we are meant to receive a more in depth starter pack in the post; Where to go, what to bring ect.. I guess / hope this will have the exact time on it? Does anyone else have experience of this?

15. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You will receive joining instructions, mine arrived about 8 days before joining Raleigh. The wheels of RFA admin turn slowly, something you will have to get use to.

16. You'll get info about 10 days before you start. The arrival day you are given a wide evening time slot to arrive but I can't remember what.

On arrival day you'll be shown to your room, and be free to go to the bar, shop etc. You'll also be preoccupied talking to your new colleagues. It'll be relaxed.

If your are getting a taxi from the station, I would take a taxi to the ferry,get off and walk on as a foot passenger (free) and then get a taxi to Raleigh from the other side.

17. They expect you to arrive by 9pm on the Sunday night to start work at 8am on the Monday morning.

Week 1 is Welcome to the RFA & Admin
    Weeks 2-4 are Functional Skills.... English, Maths & IT
    Weeks 5-10 are Seamanship training - from tying a reef knot to dismantling a derrick & all points inbetween.

Respect the fact you are on the part one training establishment for the RN and you wont go far wrong. Observe colours (morning & evening), no using mobiles or smoking as you wander round the base etc.

There is no marching or saluting for the RFA ratings, we are civvies in uniform!!!

There are two written exams in the Seamanship training, one at the end of week six and one in week 10. Make sure you revise, those who revised passed the exams first time.... Resits just keep you in class longer than necessary. There appears to be no backsquadding like in the RN & other armed forces.

Also take something to do on an evening as you will finish at 4pm most days. Laptop with films or tv receiver, books, gym kit etc. You can always go to the Leading Hands bar or out into Torpoint/Plymouth.

Weekends usually start about 12 and the RFA will pay for your train tickets. You can remain on the base if you want to. There is not a great deal to do at Raleigh on a weekend as we do not keep duties or do any weekend work like the RN do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Yeah that too Darren :-D

19. Thanks for the info there guys, thats good to know..... So do you need to arrive on day one, in a formal suit then?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shirt n tie will be enough