hms raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ryan92, Jun 1, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys just a quick one, new to here. I am due to join raleigh in about 2 weeks nervous about my bmi at the minute. Now I have searched this in the bar but I keep seeing mixed reviews. I am about 18 3 - 184 cm weight around 91 - 92 kg so bmi of around 27ish my waist is a little over 94 cm coming in around 94.5. It's been 4 years since my medical I was 17 then so have grew quick a bit been keeping fit. Any advice on weather I'd be ok or if I need to try and lose 2-0 kg of water weight for going?

Cheers guys

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you arrive overweight on the bmi scale, you could be discharged if your bmi is 28+.

Assuming you've kept youself fit and have passed the run on PRNC and can repeat it upon joining, you'll probably lose a bit of weight in training anyway. If you fail the fitness test & your bmi is over 28, don't unpack your bag.

Good luck.

3. Yeah run was absolutely fine at prnc so issues there, I've heard things as well about getting an extra 10% in the first week of raleigh for the run, what's this about? . And do they do the medical after your run? Just wondering there cuz u said if u fail the fitness and bmi is over 28 don't unpack? .

Cheers for your reply

4. Ninja_Stoker

You'll do your run & medical in the first couple of days, exactly as briefed on PRNC.

5. If your BMI is above the acceptable rate you will not get the chance to do the run as you will already be on your way to the train station.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. CHF

CHF

Quick question is there any further eye test at Raleigh?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Not routinely unless you are borderline, the grading is incorrectly recorded on your optician report form or there are eyesight issues apparent in training.

8. What do they know? When I was at Raleigh in 85 I was taken to Guz hospital for more eye tests. Was told I would need glasses by the time I was 21 (I was 17 at the time).

46 now and after looking at Billy's pictures on an Iphone screen for the past few years I'm finally feeling like its time to become a speccy t*at.

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  9. Ninja_Stoker

I guess the weapons training is the defining moment - if you can't hit an elephant's arse with a cricket bat or start inadvertantly culling a local farmers prize livestock (thus reducing TB in badgers), when on the firing range, then an eyetest maybe deemed appropriate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BMI is very overrated, my BMI is 29.1but can run 1.5 miles in under 9 minutes (as long as there is a pie at the end!)

• Like Like x 1
  11. I hover around 25 in the BMI scale. I am wondering what the maximum waist circumference is for a 27 male is? I passed my medical just curious to know what I need to be under for the medical at HMS Raleigh.