HMS Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Aidzla, May 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I go on sunday, the 11th of may!
    And was just wondering, what shall I take that's not on the list? Body wash? Extra underwear? etc

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Probs just be best taking what they say on the list

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  3. My son also goes Sunday Lee he has followed kit list but also taken extra toiletries etc

4. I was told at my prnc if needed to take extra shaving razor's as they are very dear down at raleigh. Also as far as i know your not allowed to visit (could be wrong) for the first 2 weeks.

Sent from my C6903 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Visit? How do you mean, the shop?

6. Sorry yeah the shop*, could be wrong, im sure you can correct me haha

• Like Like x 1
  7. So basically stick to the list with a few extra toiletries? Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. Take an extra white marker pen, someone is sure to pinch yours , and if its not yours missing you can always hire it out to the highest bidder

9. I'll be seeing a few of you on sunday then. Ive packed a load of zinc oxide tape because the boots are destroying my ankles.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

10. Couldn't find any white marker pens, so got a couple of thick white gel pens. Will they be ok?

11. I imagine they will be fine...it will probably wash off but you will just have to re write it.
    I have a few white markers, keep that one quiet though.

12. What are they for anyways (whitemarkers)

13. Marking things in white.

14. What situation are they used in Raleigh?

15. Laundry. Marking your name on kit. Black & white.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Private message me ;) haha!

17. JDW

JDW

you have to mark all your kit with your initails or full name, so you need a white marker pen which they don't sell at the shop there which is strange. So white marker pen is used to write on black/dark clothing like socks etc. Plus if you don't put your name on it, about half way through basic training, people end up losing kit, now the problem is when you've got some of your kit in the drying room, you can't always be there to watch it. Basicily what I'm trying to say is, there is always a thief, a sock thief or something haha in every group I'm sure. So during those hetic days you need to keep your kit safe and whoever the thief is, no one ever finds out normally will less likely take your kit if its named.

in terms of extra kit, i made the mistake of taking running shoes, they will be provided, i took like a load of civy black socks/white socks and extra pants/boxer shorts. now this was just a pain because the first 2 weeks i had all this extra kit stuffed in my personal locker which isn't big enough as it is. i also got a warning when they did a surpise locker check on morning. if i was to do it all over again, i would stick quite strictly to what they say to bring, i really can't think of anything too essential right now.

EDIT: i remember what that essential peice of kit was, a good iron. in basic training, at least 40 per cent of your time is ironing! so don't be the idiot who brings in a £5 one from pound world, the ones they sell at the shop are also rubbish. so get one that's well reviewed, that is solid and won't break. on about the 2nd day or something you go the shop to buy stuff like boot polish, washing up liquid, padlocks etc. so don't worry too much about stocking up on polish, it's cheap there and will last ages.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  18. Thats pretty shit you cant wear your own running shoes for fitness.

19. 'at least 40 per cent (sic)...ironing'. Really? Nearly half of your basic Naval training is ironing? Wish I'd seen this a bit earlier as I bumped in to the Cdr in Wongs this evening and would have mentioned it - not that he'd have been that bothered as we were generally discussing the merits of the chicken in garlic and black bean sauce.

I'd have a word with you local 'pound shop' as well. I'd want five irons for a fiver.

20. What's the time period for arriving at Plymouth station for Raleigh? Is it between 2-4pm?