HMS raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sam_helps, Dec 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could i have sum advice to HMS Raleigh as i am nervous going at the moment. I going to Raleigh on the 14 March 2010. My Fitness level is very good at the moment i can ran the 2.4 km in 10 min 35 secs and i can do 40 push ups and 100 sit ups. Swimming i can tread water for 5 min. whats the other stuff at Raleigh which i can get ready for as i have done the RNAC course and that gave me sum ideas but not the whole picture.
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Oh! Dear!!
  3. This should be interesting..!
  4. As your fitness and swimming abilities all appear to be in order, how about brushing up on your key skills such as English?
  5. Ripper? is that you or MLP back on a bite
  6. :happy1:
  7. Mind if i join you with that?
  8. Did they mention the beatings and buggery?
  9. At the Rnac yes
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Basically, you will need to question everything. When asked to do something, question it. This is how they select Officers from the ranks. It shows that you have an inquisitive mind and that you are up for a debate. If you keep quiet and say nothing, you will forever be a sheep.
  11. ..and any of the Regulating staff that meet you at the station are addressed as "mate" and not "sir".
  12. It's a bit like a jigsaw. You get the whole picture at the end of your career.
  13. i understand what u mean but my inquiry was more towards practical and discipline at HMS Raleigh

14. Being a disciplined service, what do you reckon it'll be like?
  15. You will find that practical discipline is exercised, as are disciplinary practices. You may find that after a while discipline is practically a non-event, but practically everything requires some sort of discipline...
  16. well to b honest i think it will b tough, on the hand i dont hav a insider who could tell me what i have to do each day in order to keep up the standard of the royal navy
  17. A practical answer, from practical polto. Practically.

18. You don't need an insider. You'll be told what the standards are and you are to maintain them. It's what the instructors are there for. You don't need inside information.
  19. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's all rum, bum and baccy. Have you never read Hornblower?

In any event, why do you need an insider? Peoples perceptions differ. What one person finds easy, the other will find hard.
  20. AN insider could b used for the special techniques the navy use such as on ironing, polishing boots, folding clothes, organizing kit.