HMS RALEIGH

I was 15 years 9 months old , so just missed out on HMS GANGES , though my brother went there a year later and thoroughly enjoy'ed it I'm sure , never ask'ed him to tell you the truth , he has my deepest sympathy's ,like we all say , you only remember the good times , :roll: :mrgreen:

TRANSFERRED:

dondon said:
I remember HMS RALEIGH in 1971 as all wooden huts , I went back a few years later as ships company and could'nt believe it , it looked like something from space 1999 , all plastic and modern , my best memories though , are of going back there as bar manager of the Senior Rates Mess in 1989 , brilliant memories , I lived on the top floor with the Senior Rate Wrens , Bab's , Lorna , and a few other's which I can't remember the names of , but they were all brilliant , I loved them all to bits , we had a few cabin parties , :p :lol: and every so often we would all be invited to go up to the distex site to sample the L/Chef or PO/Chef's best efforts at providing scran in the field , I tell you what , we were never ever let down , many thanks to all the Chefs that cater'ed for us , :roll: :p , the Mess Manager then was CPOSTWD Joe Burgess and I think we made a good team , two peaple from the same branch running the mess , I actualy joined Raleigh that time as an instructor but did'nt fancy any of that shite and got to the MACCO as part of my joining routine and the bloke in front of me had joined as bar manager [he was a waffoo], and did'nt want any of that , so I jump'ed in and said to the CPOWEM who ran the MACCO , I'll swap right now , so he sorted it , then and there , would that happen these days , I doubt it , I'd like to thank Dibs Litherland for that , he was the Social Sec of the Mess , :lol: happy day's ,we even had FOBAS [Flag Officer Buzzes And Scandals ] thats another story . :p :lol:

Graybags

Lantern Swinger
I was at Raleigh in 89-90 in the first aid school and the Sick Bay.
I had to go there a few weeks ago for a look around the IT Dept, wow, what a difference
G

was canny good base, not been back since i finished the Seamanship side of my trade in 95, always remember the long walk into Torpoint and the dive of a put which was Wheelers if i remember correctly. got 3 days 9's for getting back 20mins late 1 night lol, had to brasso the cannons at the main gatehouse.

Dabs

Lantern Swinger
Geordie_Jon said:
was canny good base, not been back since i finished the Seamanship side of my trade in 95, always remember the long walk into Torpoint and the dive of a put which was Wheelers if i remember correctly. got 3 days 9's for getting back 20mins late 1 night lol, had to brasso the cannons at the main gatehouse.
Just out of interest, can anyone remember HMS St Vincent at Gosport? It would seem to be a forgotten entity on this site. Canny camp as it was.

Dabs

Lantern Swinger
Greenie said:
Did a year in St Vincent in my very young days

Fcuk all canny about it -it was real thats for sure
Well done Green Empire, it's refreshing to hear something other than RALeigh, blah bloah. GANGES blah, blah.

Dabs

Lantern Swinger
Dabs said:
Greenie said:
Did a year in St Vincent in my very young days

Fcuk all canny about it -it was real thats for sure
Well done Green Empire, it's refreshing to hear something other than RALeigh, blah bloah. GANGES blah, blah.
Sorry man, had a few tonight. Had to talk to the Doc and theats always a serious ailment. OOP's, sorry Doc, but only if your listening. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nobbyh said:
I remember 'Lorna'. Not so sure about Bab's but the name does ring a bell. Raleigh as ships company was pretty much party time as I recall.

Babs was a Chief Wren [RNR I think], who was an instructor in one of the schools there, she was a Scouser & a bloody good laugh , in fact all the girls were spot on , had loads of cabin parties on the top floor , I can't remember go'ing on a run ashore in all the time that i was Bar Manager , brilliant draft that was , 8) :D 8)

When I joined in '52. Boys were trained in Ganges, Juniors were trained in St Vincent and adult entries did 2 weeks in Victoria Barracks, Southsea then joined the Home Fleet Training Squadron which at the time was the aircraft carriers Implacable and Indefatigable. As far as I can remember Raleigh trained Devonport Division Stokers.

navyeo60

Lantern Swinger
Buccaneer said:
How many reader remember Raleigh as a wooden hut establishment rather than the modern factory for turning out Baby Sailors
I joined Raleigh as a 15 week wonder in '60 as a 16 year old. This was also my last draft as ships company before I went to Drake Barracks for LS Expired.
I can still hear the PTI's screaming "Top of the wallbars, GO!!"