U

uncle_ho

janner said:
pots359v said:
Jenny_Dabber said:
oi janner, I'm a lass not a guy!!!
that will explain the gash dits!!!!!!!
We've only got J-D's word for this, still awaiting proof 8O
I have a feeling J-D is also known as anya1982 on the arrse forum and there can be no doubting her femininity.
But I could be wrong

QARNN01

Midshipman
I passed in.... not out!!!

Advice to add to the rest - if you're put on clean duties in the mess.... buy yourself one of those extendable dusters thingy... great for getting above signs and doors, etc. so when the PO pops round and tries to catch you out, they won't! Never did with me anyway! And get to the spar shop quickly and buy their entire stock of 1001 - not only for marks on shoes, etc, but also for getting shoe polish off the carpet before inspections.... again, worked for me!

Be the first up in the morning - means you're dressed quicker and can make your bed before breakfast... take trouser hangers (i.e. the ones that pinch the clothes to hang them straight, not normal hangers where they 'hang' over the bar).... when you're going on divisions, iron trousers then hang straight on the door of your locker overnight. you'll have straighter trousers than the rest!

Do a comprehensive fitness programe before you join up - not their official one but print off the Raleigh fitness requirements from the web, take it to your gym and get them to make a program around it! it really worked for me and made the fitness aspects so much easier!

Beware if you're a leftie, however. There are some things that will be hard to do - baton training is a pain in the neck, and down on the shooting range you can only do it right handed.... just a word of warning - be prepared!!!

And that's the best motto - be prepared! All the rest of the guy's advice about having extra kit and never wearing it - i never needed extra kit. Was just organised and did the washing and ironing and got it all squared away in time. The ones that piss about in the Raleigh bar or spend the whole night with the chaplains watching Eastenders - funnily enough they never seem to have enough time!

Oh yes, one last thing - find a nice nurse to teach you hospital corners for your bed - makes inspection time so much better when you're sheets are beautifully folded!!!

cheers!!

PompeySailor

Lantern Swinger
If you find a nice nurse, the last thing you want her to be showing you is MAKING the bloody bed!

Then again, never found a "nice" nurse - which I am eternally grateful for!

OK igive up,WHEN did it become Passing in? Ileft july79,someone enlighten me.

he who laughs-lasts.

Its buggin me man,so i passed in to passout on course to passin again,why not try putting royal navy passing in parade into google?Well surprise,surprise,its Passing out parade,now i really must go and lie down and hope that i feel better later,so some of you think its nit pickin,but what the hell,thats what i do,cos im old and i can.

absum - im outta here.

RNMA

MIA
Just thought it put the passing in, passing out argument to an end. this is an extract from the Royal Navy website under the new entrant training.

"Passing-in parades
Passing-in parades are very special occasions for all Raleigh trainees. Your relatives will be invited to travel down to attend the parade and afterwards you can take them on a tour of Raleigh, and to meet your Divisional Training Officer and Instructor."

Full page can be found at http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.4149

cheers.

janner said:
future_ET(MES) said:
bloody hell x's an all. so your not all salty sea dogs after all.
ps can i have a translation of the latin please, know the first bit(seize the day) but stuck after that.
Beware of the XXX J-D is a three badged Stoker well know (alledgely) for His liking for young skin new entrants, be very careful here
Janner

Being a West Country Coxswine we all know you get first pick of the skin before J-D gets alook in, three badges or not.

Nutty :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

What is IIRC? and if it changed circa 2001, why has nobody told the government or indeed anybody?Like i said put it into google and see what it says, including the government.

absit invidia - absum

ET-MES

Just to let you know what sort of life time commitment you are getting into listen to my tale.

In 1955 a torpedeo exploded on a submarine in harbour. The boat sunk and 12 of the crew and a doctor from the depot ship died.

The matter was swepted under the carpet until about three years ago when a member of this forum and the local Submariners Association decided a memorial stone was need to close the incident.

Another member of this forum now a OAP living in Australia was one of the survivors. The Australian Submariners Association raised the cash to fly said man to the UK and back, not withstanding being a Pom they told him his return ticket was to Austria.

A group of ex submariners in the UK raised a substancial amount of cash, opened a bank account and gave the man a cash point card to access the money for beer, food, transport and accomodation whilst in UK for six weeks. Various people, RNA's etc entertained the man, collected him from airports.

Great trip for a good man, organised by ships mates who had never served with him or met him. Thats what being part of this RN family is about.

Nutty

BigSi

Midshipman
Wish I hadnt mentioned the " Passing IN " parade now !! still glad we got it sorted.... erm I think :) As for taking extra kit for musters and inspections at Raleigh its all very well but at the end of the day being able to stow away your kit at sea means being able to have it squared away so you can find it and its not in the way... sounds silly to newbies I know but a loose sock could block a pump at sea if you were in the s**t

dunkers

War Hero
I heard (at my RNR unit) it's changed back to passing OUT parade now.

Preceisly because calling it "passing in" is a lot of shite.

Ok you win,but i came accross this article and thought it relevent.A Government spokesman, a Mr whothehellareyou,said today that the governments policy on the armed forces,at the end of phase one training,servicemen would have a Passing out parade, where friends and family members could be invited,was being usurped by the Royal Navy and that HMS Raleigh in particular(that well known breeding ground of riffraff and fisheads) was heading for direct confrontation with the government by holding passing IN parades,an ancient mariner a Mr higthepig when asked for his opinion,shook his old grey head sadly and replied, What an effinload of bollocks, if your in the navy aleady how can you pass IN, it would never have happened in Sir Walters day

absit invidia - absum.

RNMA

MIA
Well the current point is that your not in the Royal Navy until you have completed basic training. Hence, after completion of basic training, you then Pass Into the navy.

All I'm going on is the RN website.

RNMA

MIA
Although i'm not to worried what it is exactly called, i just hope i get to that stage soon. And after basic training i'll come on here and tell yous all what the occasion was referred as, lol

the_matelot

War Hero
RNMA, You better pass basic training otherwise you'll look a complete pr1ck with that log-in of yours...... :roll:

RNMA,good luck to you in your chosen proffession,when i joined ,i joined the minute i signed the dotted line However one final word of advice,you have the chance to be famous,you alone can bring the navy back to its senses,tell no one ,not a soul,on the day of your parade, get yourself into the front rank, then just before the band starts up,lean forward and tap the officer in charge on the shoulder, in a loud clear voice say,WHY CANT WE HAVE A PASSING OUT PARADE, then sit back and watch the fun.you will have secured your future as the man who got it right,you will have got it made.bon voyage etc.

absit invidia - absum

sidon55

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
ET-MES

Just to let you know what sort of life time commitment you are getting into listen to my tale.

In 1955 a torpedeo exploded on a submarine in harbour. The boat sunk and 12 of the crew and a doctor from the depot ship died.

The matter was swepted under the carpet until about three years ago when a member of this forum and the local Submariners Association decided a memorial stone was need to close the incident.

Another member of this forum now a OAP living in Australia was one of the survivors. The Australian Submariners Association raised the cash to fly said man to the UK and back, not withstanding being a Pom they told him his return ticket was to Austria.

A group of ex submariners in the UK raised a substancial amount of cash, opened a bank account and gave the man a cash point card to access the money for beer, food, transport and accomodation whilst in UK for six weeks. Various people, RNA's etc entertained the man, collected him from airports.

Great trip for a good man, organised by ships mates who had never served with him or met him. Thats what being part of this RN family is about.

Nutty
A great bunch of shipmates. Even the Oz submariners started a fund, though I think in their case it was to rid the country of another Pom and there must have been collusion with the UK submariners in that my return ticket was for Austria

The ball started quite a few years ago when I was contacted by a relative of one of those killed. She was told there were only a couple of survivors left so I put an add in the Navy News and got considerble interest

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 2
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - A New Recruit By The Name Of Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 4
M HMS Raleigh shutdown over Easter Joining the Royal Navy 4
soleil RN Website: HMS Raleigh's Physio's Fundraising Mission Bases / Shore Est 0
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh Page: "A Short Video Of The Cornwell27s At Pier Cellars This Week" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - 80th Anniversary Bases / Shore Est 2
D HMS Raleigh Payroll team Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
R HMS Raleigh and guide dogs Joining the Royal Navy 5
L Fitness for HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Preparing for HMS Raleigh at 16 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
MorganCUFC PRNC and HMS Raleigh dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Start date at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
U HMS Raleigh for naval reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
S HMS Raleigh video Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Hms Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Summer leave 2020 HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 22
B Son started at HMS Raleigh today Nearest & Dearest 0
B Changing branch at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
K HMS RALEIGH Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Is HMS Raleigh like the Channel 4 programme makes it out to be? Joining the Royal Navy 3
N HMS Raleigh... Joining the Royal Navy 17
Rum_pot Failing HMS Raleigh fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 63
SafferBlondie HMS Raleigh - Phase 1 training - 10th November '19 Joining the Royal Navy 12
H HMS Raleigh medical notes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Rum_pot Shaving in HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R HMS Raleigh holiday dates Joining the Royal Navy 7
L Hms Raleigh 1970 Bases / Shore Est 5
U HMS Raleigh summer break Joining the Royal Navy 8
LeedsBornLeedsBred HMS Raleigh wait time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Exactly What uniform is given to you at hms Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S Hms Raleigh entry date June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
J HMS Raleigh joining date 10th feb 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
M HMS Raleigh Entry 6th January 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
C EHIC card out of date for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 3
C Hms raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 1
C HMS Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Banshee-RMforum HMS Raleigh 24th feb 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Just finished week 1 at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 8
D Hms raleigh haircut Joining the Royal Navy 5
Asasioun Living after HMS Raleigh/joining the RN Joining the Royal Navy 11
L HMS RALEIGH Joining the Royal Navy 3
Mr_Gillette Which running shoes are issued at HMS Raleigh? Joining the Royal Navy 47
R HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 63
D HMS RALEIGH 8TH JULY 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2