HMS Raleigh...

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
Hi guys,
I go to Raleigh in just under two weeks, and my fitness isn't up to scratch. I actually failed my 2.4K run in my PRNC by 24 seconds and that was to be done in 14 minutes 29 seconds. The quickest I had done it before that week was 17 minutes 27 seconds so I did it much faster when I was actually there. But now I have to do the run in 13 minutes and 10 seconds as I am a 16 year old female. The quickest I have done it at home is 15 minutes and 30 seconds exactly. I am currently running 1.5 miles everyday besides a Sunday. Have you got any tips for fitness or motivation and any important tips for HMS Raleigh?

Many Thanks!!

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
Hi guys,
I go to Raleigh in just under two weeks, and my fitness isn't up to scratch. I actually failed my 2.4K run in my PRNC by 24 seconds and that was to be done in 14 minutes 29 seconds. The quickest I had done it before that week was 17 minutes 27 seconds so I did it much faster when I was actually there. But now I have to do the run in 13 minutes and 10 seconds as I am a 16 year old female. The quickest I have done it at home is 15 minutes and 30 seconds exactly. I am currently running 1.5 miles everyday besides a Sunday. Have you got any tips for fitness or motivation and any important tips for HMS Raleigh?

Many Thanks!!
*Everyday twice a day

Shipspotter

Badgeman
Hi guys,

Many Thanks!!
6x200m sprints with 60 secs rest has improved my 1.5 mile time by a minute in a month!! I do that twice a week then a longer run upto 5km!!

You can also incorporate hill sprints as they are leg burners and will also knock time off your run!

Also, don’t forger, leg exercises suck as body weight squats, lunges etc will also help you knock your times down!!

mattb

My main tip would be not to leave it until two weeks before, but with that out the way:

Throw a bit of metabolic conditioning in there, especially as a finisher. The basic principle is to work as hard as possible (so sprinting at 100% for 10-20 seconds or so), followed immediately by low- to medium-intensity work (so a brisk jog) with no rest. It'll force your body to deal with the by-products of anaerobic exercise (lactic acid) whilst also having to do aerobic exercise. That in turn will enable you to use the anaerobic system to a greater level during medium intensity exercise (such as the 1.5 mile run or bleep test).

Don't overdo it though - it's definitely not something you want to be doing 6 days a week!

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
6x200m sprints with 60 secs rest has improved my 1.5 mile time by a minute in a month!! I do that twice a week then a longer run upto 5km!!

You can also incorporate hill sprints as they are leg burners and will also knock time off your run!

Also, don’t forger, leg exercises suck as body weight squats, lunges etc will also help you knock your times down!!
Thanks so much!

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
My main tip would be not to leave it until two weeks before, but with that out the way:

Throw a bit of metabolic conditioning in there, especially as a finisher. The basic principle is to work as hard as possible (so sprinting at 100% for 10-20 seconds or so), followed immediately by low- to medium-intensity work (so a brisk jog) with no rest. It'll force your body to deal with the by-products of anaerobic exercise (lactic acid) whilst also having to do aerobic exercise. That in turn will enable you to use the anaerobic system to a greater level during medium intensity exercise (such as the 1.5 mile run or bleep test).

Don't overdo it though - it's definitely not something you want to be doing 6 days a week!
I didn’t leave it two weeks before I’ve been doing this for weeks, but I’m really struggling. And thanks so much ill be doing that

Sandra

Midshipman
In week 1 you will do your fitness test and expected to be under your time however if you fail it, it’s not the end of the world as everyone does it again in week 5.
During the time in between that you will have imf sessions and other physically demanding things going on and your fitness should increase. You may also find it a bit easier to run with a group as you’ll run a bit faster as well. When it comes to the run just put everything you have in to it remember your head will give up before your body does!

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
In week 1 you will do your fitness test and expected to be under your time however if you fail it, it’s not the end of the world as everyone does it again in week 5.
During the time in between that you will have imf sessions and other physically demanding things going on and your fitness should increase. You may also find it a bit easier to run with a group as you’ll run a bit faster as well. When it comes to the run just put everything you have in to it remember your head will give up before your body does!
Thank you so much! If I fail by a larger margin will I be discharged?

Sandra

Midshipman
In week 5? No you’ll be put on another warning for it and you will have to sit it again and then it can lead to discharge if you can’t pass it. But one girl in my group her week 1 run was 16 minutes something and in week 5 she done it in 12 something. Just work hard push yourself and really run at the end too

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
In week 5? No you’ll be put on another warning for it and you will have to sit it again and then it can lead to discharge if you can’t pass it. But one girl in my group her week 1 run was 16 minutes something and in week 5 she done it in 12 something. Just work hard push yourself and really run at the end too
Thank you so much, my careers officer said I will be discharged in week 1 of i don't pass it

Sandra

Midshipman
No you most definitely won’t it’s common for some to fail the first week but IF you do make sure you put everything you have in to all the other fitness things

No you most definitely won’t it’s common for some to fail the first week but IF you do make sure you put everything you have in to all the other fitness things
Not strictly true, if you fail your week one fitness assessment by a large margin then there is the option to discharge you.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
People, this has been broadcast before, please do NOT give advice that you are not qualified to give. It's appreciated that everyone want to help, but, it can lead to problems down the line. There have been conflicting opinions given on here, both I believe by people actually at Raleigh at the present time, each individual case will be decided on it's merits, to say that someone wont be discharged at any stage is simply not true, if the circumstances warrant it they will be.