HMS Raleigh

SOB94

Lantern Swinger
I had a Russell Hobbs which was decent though it doesn't really matter as it'll probably get damaged/dropped anyway. A 20 quid iron will do the job.

We used to heat ours up on the coal stove in the middle of the Nissan hut.

?? Ah so but not so. Try Nissen...

(unless you are WO 'Nobby' Nobuo Fujita* then I'll claim my tot of Sake:
<< ...*the only Japanese pilot to drop a bomb on the U.S. mainland during World War II

On Sept. 9, 1942, Mr. Fujita took off in a single-engine float plane from a submarine surfaced off Oregon's Cape Blanco...Flying 50 miles southeast, Mr. Fujita and Petty Officer Second Class Shoji Okuda dropped two incendiary bombs outside Brookings, Oregon...>>

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19971002&slug=2563623

Nissen? >>>https://www.nissens.co.uk/

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Don’t gob off, listen to what you’re told, and give everything you do 100%. It’s only 10 weeks, work hard and it will fly by.

Vicwill96

How well did the younger ones adapt? I'm 16 and joining up once I've left school (I've already applied and going through the process) and just wondering how much of a shock it is.
My son is at Raleigh now, he's been there 4 weeks. But is on week 3 as he got back classed due to being ill. He's phoned me and said his head is a shed and he's thought about coming home. But he's changed his mind and is sticking it out. He's only 16. There is a lot of support from officers etc. It's a case of pushing through with your head down. Good luck.

RDEMUM

admin remove or move if in the wrong place.

i used to post every now and then on here for a good while till i went to Raleigh, thought i had my life sorted when i stepped off the train at plymouth station but i was very wrong. its no secret basic training is hard and i knew that so before i left i practiced and practiced with the ironing and folding only getting angry at myself when i just couldnt do it, its my own fault for not accepting help off my mam and dad when they offered, that was barely a reason i left, though. when i look back at my 3/4 weeks at raleigh and the year and half leading up to me going i had hope, this was the only thing ive ever wanted to do, still is. but i bottled it. i didnt realise how different it is to my life at home, so being a young lad (18, 17 at raleigh) i struggled adapting (i know people are different) but once i started adapting i had decided to go, like a idiot. its still the biggest mistake of my life (so far) i have 3 years yet before i can go back, hopefully reduced when i appeal after i get my plumbing qualification in a year or 2. if you're going to raleigh/at raleigh and you're going through a hard time remember its worth it, im back on the crime ridden shit hole i grew up in, nothing ever changes back home, no matter how bad you think raleigh is if one of the reasons you want to be in the navy is to get out of your area itll never ever change no matter how much you dream it will, just remember some of the people you will meet will have your back more after 3/4 weeks than some of the mates youve known all your life, i know this from experience, a big one stay off your phone. it kills you when you're having a bad day and you wanna ring your mam/dad/family/dog/girlfriend, it just makes you want to be at home, if i could go back now id lock my phone away till the weekend as a sort of treat for getting through the weeks. like i said, i have 3 years before i can go back, hopefully reduced when i appeal. the navy is still my dream and i kick myself everytime i think about the navy or see the adverts or talk to the lads i met who are doing their training. itll be hard at times and youll think "why the **** am i here?" but know its for the better. since i got out ive got a few trades qualifications and am going back to college but id much rather be down at HMS Collingwood with the lads i met. it makes me genuinely a bit sad to type this as i never thought i would but such is life.
i am determined to go back and pass out the next time, im a lot of things but im not a quitter. and remember:

"being defeated is temporary, giving up makes it permanent"

RDEMUM

my son is at the end of his first week he was like you so excited been seeing pictures come up of his group on HMS Raleigh and thinking he didn't look right i got a phone call last night and he said hes finding it really hard tired and stressed its just non stop what advise would you be able to give me to pass on would really appreciate your help as you've been in his position by the sounds of it please

Sumo

War Hero
@tbfyb
Hard lesson learnt, but it took courage to make the post, your not the first to have left, then regret.
Keep the college and qualifications going, stay out of trouble, stay fit, learn to iron and polish.
Keep focused on your dream good luck.

Sumo

War Hero
my son is at the end of his first week he was like you so excited been seeing pictures come up of his group on HMS Raleigh and thinking he didn't look right i got a phone call last night and he said hes finding it really hard tired and stressed its just non stop what advise would you be able to give me to pass on would really appreciate your help as you've been in his position by the sounds of it please
Just support, ask him to speak with his peers, see how they are doing.
You should have contact details for his training staff, give them a call.
It won't be the first time a trainee drains down on the parents, then just gets on with it, leaving you in a mess.
@WreckerL used to work there maybe he can help not sure but others may be along
@pompeyexpat @crash_evans that are close to newbie training.

RDEMUM

thank you just being a typical mum i think he knows how to get to me and make me worry lol so used to having everything done for him i think it would be so easy for me to just say give up but i wont do it i have to be positive with him and tell him to keep going it will be okay he hasn't given me any contact details so far should he have?

Sumo

War Hero
thank you just being a typical mum i think he knows how to get to me and make me worry lol so used to having everything done for him i think it would be so easy for me to just say give up but i wont do it i have to be positive with him and tell him to keep going it will be okay he hasn't given me any contact details so far should he have?
I was under the impression they get sent to next of kin, in the first or second week, are you his next of kin?

don't worry everything is done for him, told when to get up to go bed when to eat, and where to be, that is part of the training, almost no time youngest for the first few weeks, helps with overcoming home sickness, and bonding as a team.
The difficulty for some is no down time as they have previously known, cannot hide on a computer for hours or go and see mate's when they fancy.
No magic fairy, that wished away dirty clothes and by magic came back washed a ironed.

Last edited: