HMS Raleigh

fishhead

War Hero
A very honest post from @tbfyb which I think will bring back a few memories for many of us. Although there was no "get out of jail free" option in my time what sustained me was the thought that Raleigh was only for a few weeks and the real navy was waiting for me.

tbfyb

Badgeman
What exactly was it that made you wrap it in last time?
a lot of things really, probably mentally not ready for such a dramatic change and didnt help i was shite at ironing and folding but i think 3 years is enough time to change both of them

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
a lot of things really, probably mentally not ready for such a dramatic change and didnt help i was shite at ironing and folding but i think 3 years is enough time to change both of them
What ALL New Entrants need to hoist in, is that Raleigh isn't real. After Raleigh I think I only ever saw one kit muster in 23 years and that was to a proper scran-bag as part of his overall punishment.

The aim is to train you to be able to look after yourself and use the available (locker) space for your personal kit, by folding it etc.

Even now, I am i/c of packing when we go away!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Technically, those wishing to opt-out before completing the minimum 28 days tend to be discharged unsuitable or on medical grounds, hence the 3 year caveat. It is quite rare to see someone discharged during the 4 week "settling in" stage of training unless something is seriously wrong.

Those rejoining after opting out once before must serve a minimum of 4 years (ish) if they rejoin.

The rejoin time is for good reason and for the wellbeing of the individual because all the reasons they left will still be there upon return.

Best of luck @tbfyb, use your time wisely & we will hopefully see you back when you are fully ready in all respects.

Sumo

War Hero
When you take a look at you could come back and do 20+ yrs then a 3 yr wait is a long time but do able. We all make mistakes and screw up but it's how you learn and refocus that sets out your life. Brave post to admit that accepting the help on offer was they way to go and not think you can do it allown. Part of basic training is to develop team work.
In submarines if you need help, but don't ask, then you will be in the shite if you screw up.
Good luck, we old guys that did 20+ yrs know it's worth it @Ninja_Stoker is still living the dream 35+yrs on

Iskalla

I hated every second of raleigh. It went way beyond my expectations of how hard I expected it to be. I don't think you can prepare for it, it's just sticking it out, gritting your teeth and playing the game. The fact I made it through proves you don't have to be brilliant at everything, there's so many things I screwed up at raleigh that I'm getting better at collingwood.

That being said, I saw some people cruise through raleigh. Maybe you'll go back and find it easier.

Stirlin

War Hero
How well did the younger ones adapt? I'm 16 and joining up once I've left school (I've already applied and going through the process) and just wondering how much of a shock it is.
It is an adventure , give it 100% and enjoy it.

fishhead

War Hero
How well did the younger ones adapt? I'm 16 and joining up once I've left school (I've already applied and going through the process) and just wondering how much of a shock it is.
Unless you've spent the last 16 years living in a very strange house with 20 strangers it will be a shock. There are things you can do before you get there to limit the shock but treat it as a ten week roller coaster ride that has to be ridden before you are let loose on the RN proper.

chinny

It is an adventure , give it 100% and enjoy it.
Unless you've spent the last 16 years living in a very strange house with 20 strangers it will be a shock. There are things you can do before you get there to limit the shock but treat it as a ten week roller coaster ride that has to be ridden before you are let loose on the RN proper.
Thanks for the replies, I'm fully aware it'll be a completely different experience to anything I've done before, and I'm really looking forward to going on PRNC and then Raleigh (got my NSRT in a few weeks, which I'm more than confident in being able to pass). Just need to get past the shit parts and enjoy it as much as I can I guess.

Stirlin

War Hero
Thanks for the replies, I'm fully aware it'll be a completely different experience to anything I've done before, and I'm really looking forward to going on PRNC and then Raleigh (got my NSRT in a few weeks, which I'm more than confident in being able to pass). Just need to get past the shit parts and enjoy it as much as I can I guess.
Good reply chinny,
I was 15 when I joined , 3 elder brothers already in the RN so failure for me was not an option :) .

FunkyJunky

War Hero
when the going gets tough, just remember.....in the not too distant future, it could YOU getting tasered in Florida :eek:;)o_O