HMS Raleigh

I've just started the recruitment process and wondered what the daily routine in HMS Raleigh is like, such as waking up and going to bed? My current job has got me doing all sorts of weird hours and I just wanted to better prepare myself before I start.

Get up at 0545 and go to bed at 2230. Do stuff all day in between those hours. (Get up a little later on Sundays, go to Church in the morning, be less busy the rest of the day.)

Heard rumours you can get in your pit and have a nap these days if you have the time. Don't know if this is true though, would have killed for that.

SOB94

Lantern Swinger
Heard rumours you can get in your pit and have a nap these days if you have the time. Don't know if this is true though, would have killed for that.
Once you've received your 3's (week 5) on completion of evening rounds and as long as you're not duty, you can get your head down.

That being said op, the first few weeks you will be flat out busy until pipe down.

Once you've received your 3's (week 5) on completion of evening rounds and as long as you're not duty, you can get your head down.
That makes sense as that is the same time as when you are allowed to the bar. I remember people (rightly) dripping, that they could go to the bar but they couldn't get an early night to recover and be fresh for the next day.

SOB94

Lantern Swinger
That makes sense as that is the same time as when you are allowed to the bar. I remember people (rightly) dripping, that they could go to the bar but they couldn't get an early night to recover and be fresh for the next day.
Although we all said we'd get an early night and only go to the bar for an hour, everyone ended up staying until close. Still ended up getting into bed at the same time. The lightweights provided some great moments, even with the two pint limit.

Last edited:
Hi, ive currently got my PJFT on the 11th, i was wondering that in the PRNC does it relay mostly on breast stroke on the swimming section and im not so strong on treading water is that a problem?

You can use any stroke you want to swim the length of the pool and back how ever you will need to work on treading water if that's an issue for you as you will need to tread water for 2mins in a boiler suit, the best way to do this is to breath deeply and slowly, relax and dont expend to much energy

The worst part for me was wet and dry on week 3. Getting up in the middle of the night and changing into wet clothes is soul destroying especialy after days of practising for the weapons handling test. Any IMF session (gym) is hard as youre expected to give 100% no matter how tired you are and you do this in a strict military fashion. If you scratch your face, wipe sweat, figit or yawn they will scream at you and make your session even harder. Week 4 is also stressful as you have your 1st kit muster on Monday morning but not all doom and gloom as you go to pier cellars on Wednesday which was the best part for me so far, lots of walking, fun team games and you have a BBQ and build a fire and get to know your oppos and officers a bit better. In my class most are 16-21 year olds.

admin remove or move if in the wrong place.

i used to post every now and then on here for a good while till i went to Raleigh, thought i had my life sorted when i stepped off the train at plymouth station but i was very wrong. its no secret basic training is hard and i knew that so before i left i practiced and practiced with the ironing and folding only getting angry at myself when i just couldnt do it, its my own fault for not accepting help off my mam and dad when they offered, that was barely a reason i left, though. when i look back at my 3/4 weeks at raleigh and the year and half leading up to me going i had hope, this was the only thing ive ever wanted to do, still is. but i bottled it. i didnt realise how different it is to my life at home, so being a young lad (18, 17 at raleigh) i struggled adapting (i know people are different) but once i started adapting i had decided to go, like a idiot. its still the biggest mistake of my life (so far) i have 3 years yet before i can go back, hopefully reduced when i appeal after i get my plumbing qualification in a year or 2. if you're going to raleigh/at raleigh and you're going through a hard time remember its worth it, im back on the crime ridden shit hole i grew up in, nothing ever changes back home, no matter how bad you think raleigh is if one of the reasons you want to be in the navy is to get out of your area itll never ever change no matter how much you dream it will, just remember some of the people you will meet will have your back more after 3/4 weeks than some of the mates youve known all your life, i know this from experience, a big one stay off your phone. it kills you when you're having a bad day and you wanna ring your mam/dad/family/dog/girlfriend, it just makes you want to be at home, if i could go back now id lock my phone away till the weekend as a sort of treat for getting through the weeks. like i said, i have 3 years before i can go back, hopefully reduced when i appeal. the navy is still my dream and i kick myself everytime i think about the navy or see the adverts or talk to the lads i met who are doing their training. itll be hard at times and youll think "why the **** am i here?" but know its for the better. since i got out ive got a few trades qualifications and am going back to college but id much rather be down at HMS Collingwood with the lads i met. it makes me genuinely a bit sad to type this as i never thought i would but such is life.
i am determined to go back and pass out the next time, im a lot of things but im not a quitter. and remember:

"being defeated is temporary, giving up makes it permanent"