HMS Raleigh

Hi guys/girls,

I go to HMS Raleigh on 24th September and I'm bricking it so I was looking for some tips and helpful threads to ease my apprehension but I can't find them.

Can you be a bit more specific?

Irons?

Boots?

Leave dates?

Passing out parades?

Accom for Parents?
Well I'm worried that my fitness isn't going to be up to required standard. I really struggle with swimming no matter how much I practice.

I also could be class leader as I'm going to be the oldest I think and I'm worried I'll fail at this.

I can only suggest you get to the pool as much as possible and practice and get out running.

With regards to Class Leader I'm not sure if just because you maybe the oldest you will automatically be given it.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Well I'm worried that my fitness isn't going to be up to required standard. I really struggle with swimming no matter how much I practice.

I also could be class leader as I'm going to be the oldest I think and I'm worried I'll fail at this.
As with any job, your attitude and the effort you put in will go a long way to forming the opinions that those that matter have of you.

As for fitness and swimming, the more you practice, the better they will be.

Class leader is given to those who show the right attitude and drive just because you maybe the oldest doesn't mean you are automatically get it.

Don't go with the mindset that you are going to fail swimming because oyu are not getting better go in with the mind set that you are going to smash it. Keep swimming as much as possible and if needs be get a couple of lessons to see if there is anything you are doing wrong.

Class leader is given to those who show the right attitude and drive just because you maybe the oldest doesn't mean you are automatically get it.

Don't go with the mindset that you are going to fail swimming because oyu are not getting better go in with the mind set that you are going to smash it. Keep swimming as much as possible and if needs be get a couple of lessons to see if there is anything you are doing wrong.
As ws1602 has said, the swimming isn't the be all, end all. With regards to the length timings, you can pass it by doing doggy paddle if it comes to it. I've seen it done.

There's someone I work with now who failed it six times at Raleigh, so even if you do fail it once for whatever reason, they won't automatically kick you out.

I can't speak for the others, but I am. Hope it works out for you, I bloody love this job.

Are you one of the people who's already decided what aircraft type you want, or are you playing it by ear?
I have no idea which aircraft I want to work on. Preferably an aircraft where I can travel the most with. What do you suggest given your own personal experience?

I haven't been in all that long, but from what I've heard the Merlin Mk2 is generally more permanently active, doing longer deployments but not as often. However, the Wildcat tends to do small ship stuff more, and the small ships go out a fair bit so if you end up on the frontline squadrons for that (815 & 847) you'll go on shorter trips but more frequently.

Merlin Mk3 is not up to all that much at the moment, which is the source of a lot of grumbling on their part because the CHF engineers are getting a bit bored. Mind you, it's the same on 825 at the moment.

I can't speak for the F-35 because well, it isn't here yet. I'm sure when it does become fully integrated they'll be doing a lot of things on the QE to test it out, but only time will tell. I can't suggest anything because each person has their own interests. I chose the Wildcat because I wanted to work with the small ships aspect, and also the turret on that things is what was the driving attraction, because I wanted avionics.

The man difference is the bases I guess. RNAS Culdrose is probably the nicer base (ie, more to do there) but has little nearby. RNAS Yeovilton is the opposite. However I'd say don't choose your aircraft based on where it's located. Choose it for the job you want. That said, if I'm still at 825 and you end up there, you'll be greeted warmly.

I haven't been in all that long, but from what I've heard the Merlin Mk2 is generally more permanently active, doing longer deployments but not as often. However, the Wildcat tends to do small ship stuff more, and the small ships go out a fair bit so if you end up on the frontline squadrons for that (815 & 847) you'll go on shorter trips but more frequently.

Merlin Mk3 is not up to all that much at the moment, which is the source of a lot of grumbling on their part because the CHF engineers are getting a bit bored. Mind you, it's the same on 825 at the moment.

I can't speak for the F-35 because well, it isn't here yet. I'm sure when it does become fully integrated they'll be doing a lot of things on the QE to test it out, but only time will tell. I can't suggest anything because each person has their own interests. I chose the Wildcat because I wanted to work with the small ships aspect, and also the turret on that things is what was the driving attraction, because I wanted avionics.

The man difference is the bases I guess. RNAS Culdrose is probably the nicer base (ie, more to do there) but has little nearby. RNAS Yeovilton is the opposite. However I'd say don't choose your aircraft based on where it's located. Choose it for the job you want. That said, if I'm still at 825 and you end up there, you'll be greeted warmly.
I am also swaying towards avionics rather than mechanical. So we may cross paths at some point.

If you're not competent with swimming, I'd advise seeking some help; lessons. I'm not the greatest swimmer either but I did a lot to ready myself so that I wouldn't end up bricking it and being sick pool side.

The swimming aspect of the tests isn't the biggest part either. Get running a lot. Hill sprints and endurance runs; I know you'll already have this down. Remember - you'll do the 2.4K again on the 2nd day at Raleigh and the Swimming on the Friday (2 mins treading water and 50m swim in under 4 mins (6 mins collectively)).

And as above - Just because you are the oldest doesn't necessarily mean you'll be appointed class leader. You'll have to display leadership qualities throughout the fitness parts and show that you're responsible and trusting (can sculpt our youngest, daftest minds).

Best of luck, sure you'll smash it.