HMS Raleigh week 4

Hi All

Sorry if this has already been covered but I can't find the answers I'm looking for.

My son (20) is on week 4 at Raleigh and he's really struggling emotionally. Now I'm sure he's making it out to be worse than it is for me and his dad but I can't help worrying. He had a great week last week and passed with flying colours but he seems to be really down in the dumps this week (even worse than week 2 when he was full of cold).

He had his kit muster yesterday and failed (he doesn't like failing at anything), he's at Pier Cellars today so I know I won't hear from him but my questions are as follows:

When will he have to do his kit muster again?

If he fails again will he be back classed?

Will he still get the opportunity to go to China Fleet?

I'm a little concerned that this is PVR week!! Can he just leave at the end of this week or does he have to give notice to leave?

Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions but I'm stressing!!

Thanks

Hi All

Sorry if this has already been covered but I can't find the answers I'm looking for.

My son (20) is on week 4 at Raleigh and he's really struggling emotionally. Now I'm sure he's making it out to be worse than it is for me and his dad but I can't help worrying. He had a great week last week and passed with flying colours but he seems to be really down in the dumps this week (even worse than week 2 when he was full of cold).

He had his kit muster yesterday and failed (he doesn't like failing at anything), he's at Pier Cellars today so I know I won't hear from him but my questions are as follows:

When will he have to do his kit muster again?

If he fails again will he be back classed?

Will he still get the opportunity to go to China Fleet?

I'm a little concerned that this is PVR week!! Can he just leave at the end of this week or does he have to give notice to leave?

Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions but I'm stressing!!

Thanks
Rescrub will be next week.

Depends on how bad the failure is the second/third time. Might be given the opportunity for a bespoke kit package. This will mean training extension.

He might think it prudent to not go to the China Fleet Club in order to sort out his kit.

PVR week is week 5 (having served 28 days). Contract says 14 days notice - but not normally held to this.

bit of tough love would be my advice.
It's just being tired and cleaning some clothes, when you break it down.

As said above, may be prudent NOT to go to the China Fleet Club and demonstrate extra willingness to succeed. Things like that should not go un-noticed.

probably not helpful, but there you go

'It's just being tired and cleaning some clothes, when you break it down. '

That is just a BRILLIANT line and should be emblazoned above the main gate of Raleigh.

@CB987 If your lad really wants to be a sailor he has to learn their will be good times and bad. Life is like that. Failing a kit muster is depressing on top of all the other demands made during initial training but it needn't be a game changer. He already knows what is required and all that is required is a little extra effort on his behalf.Thousands have preceded him and have had similar hiccups but have bashed on regardless and emerged smiling on Pass Out day.

Rk7794

Midshipman
I went a similar thing when I was at Raleigh he will be worrying thinking getting back classed is the end of the world and going from a high one week to the bottom the next just have to remind him that raliegh is just 10 weeks of bullshit but sadly it’s something we all must go through and that the rewards are worth it when week 10 comes and for his rescrub I’m sure all the rest of the lads who passed will get around him and makes sure he passes it second time around