HMS Raleigh this Sunday!!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mr_T, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As this is my first post on the forums here I shall start by saying greetings to all. My name is Luke and I have been reading and perusing the forums here for a long time and found endless useful information.

I join the RN this Sunday and just wanted to ask for some comments, (and indeed some p*sstake as goes without saying), about how anxious I'm feeling right now.

I have no doubts about wanting to join, but I'm just getting a bit nervous. Im the only person going on this date from my AFCO and everything is starting to seem a bit daunting.

I cant wait but at the same time I'm really nervous. Any advice or comments are all welcome!

thanks

(Now taking cover from the flak coming this way :threaten: )

2. No flak or piss taking. Your bound to be nervous, it's a total change in your life that you have no proper experience to relate it to, so therefore don't know how your going to react.

Get down there, and please for god's sake sign the contract and don't go home the next day, At least try it out. If it really aint for you then bin out. But I bet that like the majority of people you'll have a blast and even if you don't say it at the time, afterwards you'll realise how much you enjoyed it

3. If you weren't nervous about changing the rest of your life it wouldn't be normal. All of us who have served felt nervous when we joined. However treat it as an adventure, give 100% and when the going gets rough (as it will) try not to moan too much.
    Enjoy it, your life is just about to be turned upside down.

4. its natural to feel a bit nervous even tho your 100% certain about joining, your gonna be somewhere new, away from your family/friends, surrounded by people you dont know- no doubt everyone in your entry is feeling the same! during your course you'll all be mates anyway ;)

But as long as you turn up prepared and give it your best effort, you'll be fine.
    And remember it's only raleigh! once you've completed basic then your trade training you'll be finally out into the REAL navy! (ie doing your job and not spending all your time marching and ironing kit)

best of luck! :thumright:

5. Hey Good luck for sunday, don't worry it's better to be nervous than over confident, everyone will be thinking the same as you. Just don't be a lazy sod, work your balls off and you'll get a good reputation.

6. Cheers fella's, like I said, I am definatly going to go through and get into the Navy, or at least give ti everything I got.

Just now I start to worry, have I trained enough? Have I got everything on the kitlist? blah blah. It's just one of those suck it and see situations!

Luke

7. Easy for me to say Luke, but try not to worry. Don't forget that everyone else is in the same boat.

The training staff at Raleigh are second to none and providing you show willing will do all they can to get you through. They have all been where you are.

Agree 100% with Mrs E - don't bottle it before you sign on, at least give it four weeks. It's a splendid career and I'd happily do it all again.

Good luck.

8. Good luck Shippers!!!!

9. Have you trained enough? What you doing daily?

Have you got everything on the kitlist? Tick it all off as you buy/ obtain it and you'll see it grow smaller and smaller.

Best of luck for Raleigh, see you on Sunday! :)

-djmm

10. Mr_T wrote:
    As this is my first post on the forums here I shall start by saying greetings to all. My name is Luke and I have been reading and perusing the forums here for a long time and found endless useful information.

I join the RN this Sunday and just wanted to ask for some comments, (and indeed some p*sstake as goes without saying), about how anxious I'm feeling right now.

I have no doubts about wanting to join, but I'm just getting a bit nervous. Im the only person going on this date from my AFCO and everything is starting to seem a bit daunting.

I cant wait but at the same time I'm really nervous. Any advice or comments are all welcome!

thanks

(Now taking cover from the flak coming this way )

Hi Mr T,

Don't worry too much, I joined the RN 30 years ago (on the 1st August) at the ripe old age of 16 and 3 months. I'm still involved with them now, 24 years active service and 6 years in the recruiting world.

Read all the advice everyone as already given you, and remember everyone is in the same boat. Most people will feel some nerves, if you didn't you wouldn't be normal. Everything will be OK, just listen to the instructors and remember to always be early and in the right uniform.

If you haven't already have a read of the Raleigh info on the RN website:-

www.royal-navy.mod.uk/...w/nav.5444

Best of luck and enjoy your training (I can still remember most of mine)

Neil - Supermario

:nemo: :thumright:

11. good luck mate its quite nice here at the mo ! nice new galley !