HMS Raleigh tests and fails.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mclark84, May 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I just wanted to know what people could be sent home for not passing and how many times you get to try at that particular test on the rating training at HMS Raleigh.

I read that you could now be sent home on day two for not passing the fitness test where as before you had 7 weeks to pass it.

Does anyone know what the pass rate percentage is for the rating training at HMS Raleigh?
  2. I don't know what you can be sent home for, but to be honest people that fail the fitness test should be sent home u have plenty of time to prepare for it.

only thing that i get worried about is having to do another RT test, we dont have to retake the test again at Raleigh do we? i hate maths and all that.

I have to go on my RNAC about 6 weeks before i leave for Raleigh in dec, and i heard that we have to retake it again there, anyone know for sure?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Which particular element of training were you planning on failing?
  4. I wasn't planning to fail on anything I want to pass and will make sure I will pass.

I just wanted scope of how difficult the training is to pass and what you can fail on.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

The selection process supposedly selects the very best from those found capable of passing Initial Naval Training and trade training on grounds of eligibility, academic attainment, intellectual ability, medical suitability, physical fitness potential, personal qualities, potential capability, financial responsibility & positive police backrounfd checks. It costs, on average £7000 to attract, select & process a person up to the point they are deemed suitable to commence Royal Navy or Royal Marine training.

After this point, we cannot accurately assess their immature numbskullery or inability to absorb that which is taught. Currently we expect around 7% to snatch defeat from the jaws of success.

So, on average, applicants have a 93% chance of achieving our joint goal. If they elect to be one of the wastage statistics, it's pretty much their choice.
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. Thank you Ninja.
  7. didnt know you had to do the RT test again?!
  8. You have to do a another maths and English test called LANTERN. There are 2 levels and you have to be at level 2 to be academically qualified for promotion to leading hand. It replaced the old NAMET. You can't fail as such but if you don't achieve the higher level you'll re-take the test later in your Naval career before you can start climbing the promotion ladder.
  9. Is the LANTERN at the same level as the RT test? Or is the RT level 1 and the LANTERN level 2? Cheers
  10. I have no idea what was involved in the RT test, you can tell me the difference when you are in and take the LANTERN (As far as I can remember LANTERN stands for Literacy And Numerology TEst Royal Navy but I could be wrong)
  11. LANTERN is different from the RT because it is just a basic literacy and numeracy test. The assesment you do at Raleigh requires you to get Entry Level 2 or higher.

The levels go (from lowest upwards);
    Entry Level 1
    Entry Level 2 - Minimum level required for Raleigh
    Entry Level 3
    Level 1 - Minimum level required for promotion to Leading Hand
    Level 2 - Minimum level required for promotion to Petty Officer.

If you go on an RPC, you will get to see exactly how the LANTERN is carried out.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
  12. I read that if you have a GCSE in English and Maths with a minimum of grade C, you have already passed the required level for a Leading Hand.
  13. Cheers Wrecker and Graf. I'm still a long long way from Raleigh but if I remember I'll give a full and frank description :)
  14. Ninja_Stoker

For those who would like a better insight into Initial Naval Training (INT) & beyond, as already alluded in this thread, by far & away the very best way is by asking your AFCO if you may attend a four day Ratings Preperation Course (RPC) at the Royal Navy Acquaint Centre (RNAC). It's free, we even pay for your rail tickets. Hell, we even feed you.

Interestingly, those attending an RPC are significantly better prepared to undergo INT & statistically, far fewer fail.

When I joined the Naval Careers Service, training wastage was nearer 25%, but has been significantly reduced since. Coincidence? Hmmn, probably due to something besides me...

To be honest knowing what the fail rate is, doesn't really make an individual more or less prepared to undergo training, however preparation is certainly the key. The RPC addresses this issue & brings home the need to be physically fit & to develop personal administration skills to enable individuals to take charge of their own destiny.

Edited for duff wording, innit
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  15. To echo what Ninja has said. Attending a RPC is highly recommended. The majority of people who attend a RPC are shocked at the level of fitness required by the Navy and the high amount of time management required.

Im my own personal view, the RPC should be compulsory for everyone who intends to join the navy.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Oh, and another thing...for those remotely interested, bearing in mind you can interpret statistics to suit the argument & that these apply to the 9 week, phase one training programme, not the new ten week jobby starting today:

As previously stated, training fails (discharged unsuitable), peaked around 7% in the first & third quarters last year, but the overall average is about 5.5% over the year.

PVRs (ie those electing to leave voluntarily) over the year, total another 5%. Medical discharges (for the hypochondriacs amongst us) total about 2%

Snag is that the above statistics are purely for interest as the whole training package has changed, with an emphasis more inclined the physical, 'hands on' rather than focused solely on the classroom elements. Anyone foolish enough to arrive at Raleigh without preparing physically is likely to count themselves amongst the above statistics as training extensions can no longer be anticipated if you fail to meet the grade.
  17. graf are these equivalent to key skills?
  18. I think LANTERN Level 1 and 2 are equal to Key Skills Level 1 and 2 from looking at the promotion requirements, but I'm not 100% sure.
  19. so in the 10 weeks basic training at Raleigh we are required to do the LANTERN test, if we do not reach Level 2 we will be sent home?
  20. Here are my top tips for passing phase 1 training:

1. Always do what you are told, if it's too hard, try your best anyway.
    2. Prepare yourself physically prior to arriving, get on the bike, go swimming, start running as often as you can, stop smoking (you won't have time for tabbing anyway.
    3. Listen to your instructors and superiors, they have a lot of knowledge and experience to pass on to you. You have it easy compared to them, when they went through Raleigh, there were no duvets, mobile phones and luxuries, the food was worse and they were there for longer.
    4. If you have any spare time, you've forgotten to do something. If you are sat in the NAAFI eating nutty, consider the possibility that your boots could do with another coat of polish.
    5. Work as a team, help the weaker members of your division, as the stronger members will help you. If you have a flair for ironing, offer to do someone else's, they might help you out with maths or boot bulling in return.
    6. Remember at all times, phase 1 training isn't the Navy, it's just the shit you have to do to get into the Navy. If you are having a crap day, remember that in 6 months time you could be drinking cocktails on a beach in Barbados while being paid.
    7. Be proud, be confident, you've achieved a lot just getting to phase 1 in the first place. Stand tall when your superiors speak to you but don't be arrogant, your confidence in yourself will inspire their confidence in you.
    8. Finally, enjoy it, you will look back on Raleigh as one of the most exciting times of your life, you will make friends that will last forever and you will look back on the good times with fond memories, the shit times and pain will fade into obscurity.
    • Like Like x 4