HMS Raleigh question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by lucretia, Jan 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone please tell me at what point are we required to pass the minimum sit up and press up test. Is it with the run and swim at the start of training or when we do the actual RNFT a few weeks in.

2. Why would it matter?
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Here's a thought.

If you join up able to surpass the minimum requirement for sit ups and press ups it wont be a problem will it. It's like punching a ball. you dont aim for the bit you'll hit you aim a good few inches past that point. That way you punch it in full swing.

I dont know what the minimum standard that Jack requires you to do but as an unqualified yard stick I'd suggest, press ups go 20 more, sit ups go 30, pull ups go 4.

Oh, dont forget to practice the "I'm really trying" face as well, PTI's love that. If you need to strengthen your stomach muscles just lie on your back and raise your legs (straight legs) 6 inches, it'll hurt but ignore that and concentrate on breathing in a controlled and steady manner, takes your mind off the pain.
  4. I can do all the fitness requirements, but I hurt my back at a kettlebell class on Tuesday. I can still manage the press ups, run and swim
    But the sit ups are an issue. I go this Sunday and I'm hoping they are done a few weeks in so that my back can recover in time.
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Its only pain. Your body will do anything your brain tells it.

After the first 4 or 5 the pain will go, crack on and best of luck.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you fill in this form or speak to that person but you're more than capable of doing your physical tests, crack on and smash them mate.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cheers blobby, I guess it's just a case of 'get on with it'.
  7. Cheers, hopefully they will realise its not a serious injury. Anyway, I can't wait, it's been the quickest 18 months ever. Thanks again.
  8. You must declare outstanding injuries when you join Raleigh on Sunday night.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you arrive with a pre-existing injury, unable to undertake any element of training, you will be discharged.

You should have declared it to your AFCO when it occured last week rather than ask about it now.
  10. It's just a case of over exertion. I'll manage. I did the situps earlier this evening. It won't stop me.